Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Europa Barbarorum Quotes Project

Default Re: The Europa Barbarorum Quotes Project

Machinor, those are excellent! And Mediolanicus- you're right, I shouldn't have picked on John. John? Sorry.
    οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
    Even as are the generations of leaves, such are the lives of men.
    Glaucus, son of Hippolochus, Illiad, 6.146

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

Now I want that book
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

You can read it online on Perseus Project. But I warn you, it's one hell of a blood dripping story. After reading it, I was quite surprised there were any people left living in Asia Minor.
    Plutarch's account of the life of Quintus Sertorius is quite good too, but unfortunatly I can't find the original anywhere on the web.
    Last edited by machinor; 03-31-2009 at 12:04.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
    "Dahae always ride single file to hid their numbers, these tracks are side by side. And these arrow wounds, too accurate for Dahae, only Pahlavi Zradha Shivatir are so precise..."
    <-- My "From Basileion to Arche - A Makedonian AAR" Memorial Balloon.

The following two quotes are also from The Mithridatic Wars (they're the last ones from the Mithridatic Wars, I promise ) and are both fairly interesting:

... τοὺς ̔́Ελληνας, οἳ ἐμισθοφόρουν αὐτῳ̂, πάντας ἐξώπλισεν ὑποπτεύων: οἳ σύλληψιν δεδιότες, ἀθρόοι σκυτάλας ἔχοντες ἐβάδιζόν τε καὶ ηὐλίζοντο. Μαγκαίου δὲ τοὺς βαρβάρους ἐπάγοντος αὐτοι̂ς ὡπλισμένους, διαδησάμενοι τὰ ἱμάτια ται̂ς λαιαι̂ς ἀντὶ ἀσπίδων, μετὰ τόλμης ἐσέδραμον ἐς αὐτούς: καὶ ὅσους ἀνέλοιεν, εὐθὺς ἐμερίζοντο τὰ ὅπλα.
    [Mankaios, one of Mithridates' generals] disarmed all of his Greek mercenaries because he suspected them. They, in fear of arrest, walked abroad or rested only in a body, and with clubs in their hands. Mankaios set upon them with his armed barbarians. They wound their clothing around their left arms, to serve as shields, and fought their assailants courageously, killed some, and shared their arms with each other.
    Appian, The Mithridatic Wars, XII.86

πολλαὶ δὲ ἔν τε τοι̂ς ὁμήροις καὶ τοι̂ς αἰχμαλώτοις ηὑρέθησαν γυναι̂κες, οὐ μείονα τω̂ν ἀνδρω̂ν τραύματα ἔχουσαι: καὶ ἐδόκουν ̓Αμαζόνες εἰ̂ναι, εἴτε τι ἔθνος ἐστὶν αὐτοι̂ς γειτονευ̂ον αἱ ̓Αμαζόνες, ἐπίκλητοι τότε ἐς συμμαχίαν γενόμεναι, εἴτε τινὰς πολεμικὰς ὅλως γυναι̂κας οἱ τῃ̂δε βάρβαροι καλου̂σιν ̓Αμαζόνας.
    Among the hostages and prisoners many women were found, who had suffered wounds no less than the men. These were supposed to be Amazons, but whether the Amazons are a neighboring nation, who were called to their aid at that time, or whether certain warlike women are called Amazons by the barbarians there, is not known.
    Appian, The Mithridatic Wars, XV.103

Another interesting quote, this time a bit different version of Hannibal's crossing of the Alps:

χιονος τε πολλη̂ς οὔσης καὶ κρύους, τὴν μὲν ὕλην τέμνων τε καὶ κατακαίων, τὴν δὲ τέφραν σβεννὺς ὕδατι καὶ ὄξει, καὶ τὴν πέτραν ἐκ του̂δε ψαφαρὰν γιγνομένην σφύραις σιδηραι̂ς θραύων, καὶ ὁδὸν ποιω̂ν ἣ καὶ νυ̂ν ἐστιν ἐπὶ τω̂ν ὀρω̂ν ἐντριβὴς καὶ καλει̂ται δίοδος ̓Αννίβου.
    The snow and ice being heaped high in front, he cut down and burned wood, quenched the ashes with water and vinegar, and thus rendering the rocks brittle he shattered them with iron hammers and opened a passage which is still in use over the mountains and is called Hannibal's pass.
    Appian The Hannibalic War, I.4

And this one's also quite funny:

ὁ δέ, ὡς ἐν βαρβάροις τε καὶ τεθηπόσιν αὐτόν, καὶ δι' ἄμφω δυναμένοις ἀπατα̂σθαι, τὴν ἐσθη̂τα καὶ τὴν κόμην ἐνήλασσε συνεχω̂ς ἐσκευασμέναις ἐπινοίαις: καὶ αὐτὸν οἱ Κελτοὶ περιιόντα τὰ ἔθνη πρεσβύτην ὁρω̂ντες, εἰ̂τα νέον, εἰ̂τα μεσαιπόλιον, καὶ συνεχω̂ς ἕτερον ἐξ ἑτέρου, θαυμάζοντες ἐδόκουν θειοτέρας φύσεως λαχει̂ν.
    In order to increase the admiration of those barbarians, who were easily deceived, [Hannibal] frequently changed his clothes and his hair, using carefully prepared devices each time. When the Gauls saw him moving among their people now an old man, then a young man, and again a middle-aged man, and continually changing from one to the other, they were astonished and thought that he partook of the divine nature.
    Appian, The Hannibalic War, II.6
    Last edited by machinor; 03-31-2009 at 15:50.
    "Dahae always ride single file to hid their numbers, these tracks are side by side. And these arrow wounds, too accurate for Dahae, only Pahlavi Zradha Shivatir are so precise..."

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

damn. reading those i would never join an ancient army. i have some sort of feeling that i want it to be exagerated,but im just not sure.....i think i gotta go puke now.......
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Well, wars are always bloody and gory. Don't be fooled on that by today's sexy and seemingly clean intelligent bombs. War is a bloody mess and I wouldn't want to be in the middle of one in any period.
    Last edited by machinor; 03-31-2009 at 15:53.

well i know war has always been bad but i thought the worst was WWI or 2. i mean, machine guns tearing mn to pieces and tanks smashing people are bad enough, but scythes slicing oyu in half while you crawl around still concious? thats horrible....

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

WWI was worse :/

But this is not the place for that
    Last edited by A Very Super Market; 03-31-2009 at 16:17.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

I love ancient stories about omens. Here's one:

contractis ad Bononiam triumvirorum copiis aquila tentorio eius supersedens duos corvos hinc et inde infestantis afflixit et ad terram dedit, notante omni exercitu futuram quandoque inter collegas discordiam talem qualis secuta est, atque exitum praesagiente.
    When the troops of the [second] Triumviri were collected about Bolognia, an eagle, which sat upon [Augustus'] tent, and was attacked by two crows, beat them both, and struck them to the ground, in the view of the whole army; who thence inferred that discord would arise between the three colleagues, which would be attended with the like event: and it accordingly happened.
    Sueton, The Lives of the Ceasars: Augustus, 96.1

At least in WWI they had the beginnings of modern medicine; some pain relief, some ways to combat infection. Try the American Civil War: got shot in a limb? Off it comes ricky-tick, no anaesthetic. Or the Crimean War: more allied troops died of dysentery than wounds. How would you like to poo yourself to death?

Hey John117 (or anyone else who aced Latin):

Finitio ultima est Caelum. Cursi sunt navissidereui "Inceptus", quinque anno legatio sua, terras novas et peregrinas explorare, inauditam vitam ignotas civilizationesque quaerere, ubi nemo iam adfuit audacter ire.

Titus Livius on Marcus Manlius Capitolinus who after having defended the Capitol against the Gauls tried to overthrow the republic and was sentenced to death:

Hunc exitum habuit vir, nisi in libera civitate natus esset, memorabilis.
    Such was the end of a man who, had he not been born in a free State, would have attained distinction.
    Titus Livius, Ab urbe condita, book VI, chapter 20, line 14

Neighboring avenging is Sky. Hastily are [not sure] " beginning ", five yearly produce office of legate her , new earth and wanderer scout [not sure] life unknown civilization to seek , when no one now [not sure] audaciter to go.

i aced latin, but in my online school it only goes by half-units. so i really only did half a course of latin.

Let's see:

Finitio ultima est Caelum. Cursus est navis sidere vi "Inceptus", quinque anno legatio sua, terras novas et peregrinas explorare, inauditam vitam ignotas civilisationesque quaerere, ubi nemo iam adfuit audacter ire.
    The final frontier is Heaven. The star-powered-ship "Enterprise", in the fifth year of its mission, set off to explore new and foreign earths, to search unheard lifes and unknown civilisations, to boldly go where nobody has ever visited.

The beginning of the second phrase gave me quite a headache. I got it only at the last subordinate clause. I corrected the misstakes.

@John-117: Judging from your feeble online-translator-attempts you didn't even half a lesson of Latin.
    Last edited by machinor; 03-31-2009 at 18:52.

lol you noticed that :)

yah, i took a half course and got the credit, but i didntreally learn much. im taking russian next.

Jeepers.

"Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise, her five year mission; to explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has gone before!"

Coming soon.

Isn't it 'continuing mission'?
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    + =
    [/CENTER]

That shows you how much older I am...

Ah, your a Shatner guy, eh?
    + =
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by _Bean_ View Post
    Now I want that book
    My book?
    Seriously intrested?

I'm going to take a look at it again tomorrow. The moment it goes under €10 I buy it.
    It's a shop that sells second hand books or books that don't get sold, so the price should drop after a while.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

@oudysseos: Oh, I see. Well if it's supposed to mean "these are the voyages of the spaceship Enterprise" then you should have written "... Incepti".
    Last edited by machinor; 03-31-2009 at 20:58.

Come, rouse thee for battle, such a one as of old thou declaredst thyself to be.
    Agamemnon
    in

Homer, Iliad, Book 4, Line 264

I don't read Greek, so i wont venture to guess what this would look like in the Greek version.

Well, you could just look up that specific line in the Greek text.
    It's this one:

ἀλλ' ὄρσευ πόλεμον δ' οἱ̂ος πάρος εὔχεαι εἰ̂ναι.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oudysseos View Post
    Jeepers.

"Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise, her five year mission; to explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has gone before!"

Coming soon.
    yes...I must agree...that..this mission....is the key, to a..better underrrstanding..of the Universe.

so..why won't I..be reimburesed for my..torn shirts?!
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 04-01-2009 at 17:03.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by machinor View Post
    Let's see:

Finitio ultima est Caelum. Cursus est navis sidere vi "Inceptus", quinque anno legatio sua, terras novas et peregrinas explorare, inauditam vitam ignotas civilisationesque quaerere, ubi nemo iam adfuit audacter ire.
    The final frontier is Heaven. The star-powered-ship "Enterprise", in the fifth year of its mission, set off to explore new and foreign earths, to search unheard lifes and unknown civilisations, to boldly go where nobody has ever visited.

The beginning of the second phrase gave me quite a headache. I got it only at the last subordinate clause. I corrected the misstakes.

@John-117: Judging from your feeble online-translator-attempts you didn't even half a lesson of Latin.
    Ok, I was this close to changing my signature to the latin version of Star Trek.

I honestly would love to see that included just for the priceless look on people's face when they would see it.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

I've got that book I was talking about as a birthday present today.
    950 pages of historical quotes. I'm sure there'll be something useful in there. The only drawback is that the original quote in the original language isn't there.

fortes fortuna adiuvat

Quote Originally Posted by John-117 View Post
    fortes fortuna adiuvat
    you should cite the source, not just shoot a random quote.

luckily for you, I know where this came from: Terence, in Phormio, 2nd century BC (it was quoted by Virgil and I think Ovid, but I don't rememberthe latter for sure).

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

"Fortune favours the bold/brave", as seen in Vanilla RTW?
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    "Fortune favours the bold/brave", as seen in Vanilla RTW?
    yes.

I've got some quotes on history in general, I don't know if they are useful but I thought I'd share.
    I'll be looking for quotes about the EB period after this.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

« My work is not a piece of writing designed to meet the taste of an immediate public, but was done to last for ever. »
    Θουκυδίδης – Thucydides (ca.431 - ca.404 BC) The History of the Peloponnesian War I.22

« Equidem beatos puto, quibus deorum munere datum est aut facere scribenda aut scribere legenda, beatissimos vero quibus utrumque. »
    The fortunate man, in my opinion, is he to whom the gods have granted the power either to do something which is worth recording or to write what is worth reading; and most fortunate of all is the man who can do both.
    Gaius Plinius Caecilius Secundus – Pliny the Younger (ca.61-113) Epistulae VI.16
    - in a letter to Tacitus.

« Sine ira et studio. »
    Without anger or bias.
    Publius Cornelius Tacitus[1] (ca.56-120), Annales 1.1
    - Tacitus’ personal standard for the writing of history.
    [1] "Publius" seems to be the consensus. One of his manuscripts is signed with Publius.
    On the other hand, Sidonius Apollinaris (431-489) called him "Gaius", but as you can see, they didn't know each other intimately.

« Dwell on the past and you’ll lose an eye. Forget the past and you’ll lose both. »
    - Old Russian proverb.

« Anybody can make history. Only a great man can write it. »
    Oscar Wilde The Critic as Artist (1891) Part I

« The very ink in which all history is written is mere fluid prejudice. »
    Mark Twain Following the Equator (1897)

« History: gossip well told. »
    Elbert Hubbard The Roycroft Dictionary (1914)

« Who has fully realized that history is not contained in thick books but lives in our very blood? »
    Carl Gustav Jung Woman in Europe (1927)

« The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there. »
    L.P. Hartley The Go-Between (1953) Prologue

I realized that 1 year of Greek 8 years ago isn't enough the find the Greek version of the Theucidides-quote. I don't where the line starts or stops in his The History of the Peloponnesian War...
    Last edited by Mediolanicus; 04-06-2009 at 08:51.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast