Thread: Grenadiers... *Ouch*

Default Grenadiers... *Ouch*

Lastnight i came up against Grenadiers for the first time, their well and truly devestating.

I've considered micro'ing against them but haven't had an opportunity to do so since lastnight (when it was too late heh), anyone else tried this approach? Is it possible to react in time to Grenadiers just before their bombs go off?

If not, what other tips other than getting into melee sharpish with them can anyone suggest?

Edit:- Oh and on the topic of melee, i remember reading Grenadiers were historically rather tough, tall and strong for throwing the bombs, is this reflected in game? Are they more effective in melee than your standard Line Infrantry?
    Last edited by Necceh; 03-06-2009 at 15:02.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Grenadiers... *Ouch*

Grenades have a really small range, so avoid them and shoot them to bits. They may be big and strong, but it makes them easier to hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

They also only have 90 men per unit, so mowing them down with canister or cavalry works fine.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Tell me about it, wiping out half a unit with one attack, I thought I was under attack from some new type of artillery when I first came across them. I guess the best form of defence is just to make sure that you order your units to attack them as a priority.

hmmm...I might have to obtain a unit or 2 of these for my armies, and use them to flank my foes while they're playing "stand and shoot" with my line infantry. Hopefully they go largely ignored.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Rip, Slip, Brush, Ahh Member crazyviking03's Avatar

meh, just send in the natives to soak up the 'nades.

muwahahahhahahaa
    What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

lol

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If I am honest, I find they die too easy when not throwing nades, which is a really big downside.

But on the plus side, I once took out an army 5 times my size due to them. It was me with 2 line infantry, 3 nader squads, completely swamped by the enemy which was mostly militia. This is example of terrain being used to best advantage as I put the line infantry in this church/townhall building, which was surrounded by other buildings, so the enemy had to come through these "streets" to fire at the building. While they were doing this and huddling up all together, I kept going in for nade attacks,withdrawing, going back in, withdrawing, hit and run style while they were trying to concentrate on the building. In the end, the only unit I lost was one of the line infantry ones (also, other men died too from other squads).
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    They also only have 90 men per unit.

What do you mean 'only'? All my infantry regiments have 80 men (40 if they're rangers) so I'd say 90 is quite a lot.
    "Romanes Eunt Domus"

- Brian of Nazareth

"We always have been, we are, and I hope we always shall be, detested in France."

- Arthur Wellesly

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficus View Post
    What do you mean 'only'? All my infantry regiments have 80 men (40 if they're rangers) so I'd say 90 is quite a lot.
    I think you 2 are using different unit sizes. To put it better, Grenadiers have half as many men as line infantry.
    Do you find something funny with the name Biggus Dickus?

in the EB PBeM

Default AW: Re: Grenadiers... *Ouch*

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficus View Post
    They have 90 men on unit size "huge" (or whatever comes after "normal"), where all other infantry regiments have 120 men.

Default Re: AW: Re: Grenadiers... *Ouch*

You mean you can change unit sizes?
    "Romanes Eunt Domus"

- Brian of Nazareth

"We always have been, we are, and I hope we always shall be, detested in France."

- Arthur Wellesly

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: AW: Re: Grenadiers... *Ouch*

Yes, go to the options.

"Ultra" unit sizes have 160 in each Line Regiment.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

It's worth noting that (while this is still being looked at preliminarily) some are reporting that the AI handles smaller unit sizes better.

I don't know, playing on ultra unit size I've still seen some pretty good AI tactics. They still like to flank and they still hit weak points in the line.

Rip, Slip, Brush, Ahh Member crazyviking03's Avatar

I find Grenadiers are also expert for assaulting garrisoned buildings. In my Prussian campaign, had 120 enemy militia in a house harassing my center of advance. Run up my boys, who toss 2 grenade 'volleys', killing about 20 in the house, then charged in. Sadly, since house to house fighting does cost alot in terms of casualties, it hits them harder since they are a smaller unit. But it does free up your Line infantry to do their thing while the grenadiers go house to house like death squads lol. I love using Grenadiers and dismounted Dragoons, they look like modern day infantry platoons lol.
    What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

lol

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

Three words that will save your army:

Skirmishers Cavalry Canister
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok