Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Empire: Incomplete?

Heir to the Scottish Throne Member Relic's Avatar

Question Empire: Incomplete?

Don't take me wrong with this.
    I've been playing Empire and absolutely loving it.
    It just feels like; it's not the real thing, but a beta.

First Off. Scenario Battles.
    Am I the only one who found it strange there was only one additional battle under scenarios that wasn't in the demo (to a total of 3)?
    I hope this will be furthered in a Patch, and not a bunch of DLC that we'll have to pay for.
    (note: I do want other kinds of DLC to arrive)

Multiplayer Ladder.
    We have he stats, but no ladder just yet.
    Hopefully added in the near future.

Passive AI.
    The enemy don't seem to do much in 20 turns other than attack one of your fleets and attack some troops you have outside their capital.
    They don't seem interested in anything at all.
    Hopefully fixed in a patch.

I know there are other things, but I won't talk about them all.
    I'm just wondering if anyone else feels this way?
    Feel free to add anything else you deem similar!

(Please remember I'm enjoying Empire as much if not more as any other TW title so far).

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Default Re: Empire: Incomplete?

What difficulty are you on?

I don't think it is unfinished, but needs patching. I don't even play scenario battles ever, so that leaves the MP ladder and AI.

I thought the AI was very challenging, so I guess thats out.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Rip, Slip, Brush, Ahh Member crazyviking03's Avatar

As far as the AI is concerned, I think its much more realistic. Ive noticed that even on hard, your neighbors only engage in a land war if provoked (like in history), while the seas are always an ongoing war zone (like in history). Unlike in the time periods covered in previous titles, once you had the formations of states and sovereign borders, the status quo will be maintained, reinforced by diplomatic alliances. If the AI kept throwing stack after stack at my home regions from all directions like in Rome, it would not make sense at all for this time period.
    What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    What difficulty are you on?

I don't think it is unfinished, but needs patching. I don't even play scenario battles ever, so that leaves the MP ladder and AI.

I thought the AI was very challenging, so I guess thats out.
    Was M/M as Great Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Relic View Post
    Perhaps you're used to Medieval 2 where every faction attacks you within 20 turns?

Empire was intended to be much more realistic. You shouldn't be steamrolling every neighbor around you and every neighbor shouldn't be attacking you.

Blog Entries

This is the era when modern diplomacy happened. Wars happened less frequently, but they lasted longer, and were more punishing as well. Countries had set policies (E.g. UK keeping the balance of power on the continent), and if you failed to check out the diplomacy of a country before attacking it, expect unforseen consequences.

Regarding scenario battles, IIRC CA stated at one point that they would not be including Historical Battles at all this time around, so having even one there (plus the demo battles) is a bonus.

It seems like a relatively straightforward thing to add as DLC, since I get the impression that most players don't play them.

Mind if I ask what battle it is? Some of us are still waiting for our copies to arrive you see.

Quote Originally Posted by PBI View Post
    Mind if I ask what battle it is? Some of us are still waiting for our copies to arrive you see.
    I can't be bothered to clarify this just yet, (but I'll PM you the name when I go back on).
    It's another Sea battle, 1v1 is all I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtillerySmoke View Post
    Perhaps you're used to Medieval 2 where every faction attacks you within 20 turns?
    Actually I have/played ever single total war game except for Medieval 2 and Kingdoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Relic View Post
    If you step up difficulty, AI wont be anywhere near as passive from what I have seen.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Battle for Pourta Nouvo or something like that.

Its in the demo, its just hidden.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

I'm glad they delayed this a month if it's this rough around the edges NOW.
    I'd hate to see what the version they had a month ago looked like
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheogorath View Post
    I'm glad they delayed this a month if it's this rough around the edges NOW.
    I'd hate to see what the version they had a month ago looked like
    LOL

I actually dont think that Empires is bad at all. The only thing that was incomplete was shipping the game with a paper thin manual. Honestly, I've seen games with half the depth ship with manuals or pdfs of over 100 pages. I hope the stategy guide is not as worthless as it was for previos TW games.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiseric View Post
    LOL

I actually dont think that Empires is bad at all. The only thing that was incomplete was shipping the game with a paper thin manual. Honestly, I've seen games with half the depth ship with manuals or pdfs of over 100 pages. I hope the stategy guide is not as worthless as it was for previos TW games.
    I suppose I'm just a bit dissapointed with the unit roster. I mean, not only does all the western factions have the same generic 'Line Infantry' (except France, for whatever reason), but they all wear the same uniforms!

I mean, come on, I'm pretty sure people in Georgia didn't even know what a tricorn WAS at this period in time. It's silly. It's understandable in the medieval period that you can make militia units more or less generic, given that what your average peasant wore didn't really vary a whole lot ("Lets see, should I wear my summer rags, or my winter rags?"), but c'mon CA. A bit of effort would be nice. You could have at least given the British bearskins, since they seem to have had the most effort put into their faction in terms of units.

They've got like, five unique units, not counting the ones from the Special Forces version. The Russians only get Cossacks. This makes me a sad geisha
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Re: line infantry: is Austrian line infantry supposed to be bigger than everyone else's?

Some flair may have been nice if nothing else for the sake of flair.

I'm sure they wanted to keep the imagery of redcoat, and bluecoats and whatever, but in reality I think people would have preferred some differrent units if only by looks.

I'm sure they all use the same weapons and dress similiar, but something as simple as the units of germany carrying flasks of powder, and the russians wearing fuzzy hats, would probably been enough. They could have just called them, some german name and some russian name.

Again, would it have been historic? probably not.

Would it have been more amusing and fun to see ona screen? Probably.

Here's hoping for a expansion or mod as I highly doubt they will do this in a patch.

Don't get me wrong, I love the old school tricorn 17th century line formation look as much as next guy, but kinda dull to see units look the same for hundred years, even if it is historic.
    Last edited by Polemists; 03-07-2009 at 08:36.

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To be fair, all TW games look incomplete when compaired to the better mods out there. That's just how it is.

Well, I don't ever think they are incomplete, but I do think there are always new ways to add more exciting things :)

I agree. Vanilla version of Empires Total War.....$50. Just thinking about all the great mods that will come with it......priceless.

I will pay $50 for a vanilla version of a total war game, even without the flaire and polish, so long as its stable, the engine works, and its not too buggy. Some of you may think that this game is incomplete, but think of all the great new features and the improvements ETW adds from the previous TW games.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiseric View Post
    I agree. Vanilla version of Empires Total War.....$50. Just thinking about all the great mods that will come with it......priceless.

I will pay $50 for a vanilla version of a total war game, even without the flaire and polish, so long as its stable, the engine works, and its not too buggy. Some of you may think that this game is incomplete, but think of all the great new features and the improvements ETW adds from the previous TW games.
    There we have it, the Total War community is so great because of its MOD community, EB turned RTW into the single best Game ever.

I expect similar results from the MOD squads of Empire.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

You could have at least given the British bearskins…

Oh! Oh! Sheogorath

What ever were you thinking…If memory serves the Brits didn’t use Bearskins until they beat the French units that wore them.

As to Mods, thus far we are still waiting for someone to unpack everything. Have you seen how much they are struggling to even get little things done.

So far more moddable has not meant anything. More can be modded but it has not proved easy to get there.

I so want to get into those minor factions!

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    As to Mods, thus far we are still waiting for someone to unpack everything. Have you seen how much they are struggling to even get little things done.
    Even after our PM conversation you still get it wrong Its ok

We have it unpacked, we just can't read these files.

We can edit unit stats, but it aint easy, its quite a lot of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Wink Re: Empire: Incomplete?

I suppose I'm just a bit dissapointed with the unit roster. I mean, not only does all the western factions have the same generic 'Line Infantry' (except France, for whatever reason), but they all wear the same uniforms!
    Back in my day we played Shogun total war were all the factions had the same units and we were happy dam it!

Oh and this place was all fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Oh! Oh! Sheogorath

What ever were you thinking…If memory serves the Brits didn’t use Bearskins until they beat the French units that wore them.
    This is probably true, but I'd rather have my early units wearing bearskins than my late units in tailed coats and tricorn hats :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zerg View Post
    Back in my day we played Shogun total war were all the factions had the same units and we were happy dam it!

Oh and this place was all fields.
    And everybody said "Ryokai!" in delicious 8-bit sound too

I mean, not only does all the western factions have the same generic 'Line Infantry' (except France, for whatever reason), but they all wear the same uniforms!

"Hello, my name is Dismounted Feudal Knight. I am the same generic infantry that all western factions have, and I wear the same uniform no matter who I'm working for! Only there's no tech tree to upgrade me with, so I'm even more boring."

When it comes to unit rosters, Total War isn't exactly Starcraft. Never has been, never will be. I guess that's just how it goes.
    Last edited by Malkut; 03-07-2009 at 10:59.

Blog Entries

I'd like to see someone attempt to Zerg Rush a country with Peasants....

Starcraft? Really? Someone is a fair bit behind the current sleu of RTS's, about a decade behind

That said, I think tw has plenty of color and flair, along with faction differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Polemists View Post
    Starcraft? Really? Someone is a fair bit behind the current sleu of RTS's, about a decade behind
    Hmm yes, how dare I reference a game with diverse units to illustrate a point about unit diversity. Back to my cave to try and invent fire.

My point is that factions having units in common is a Total War staple. Rome had it's similar factions divided into cultures (Romans factions had legions, Greeks had phalanxes, barbarians had warbands). ME2 had it's western knights and eastern horse archers.

Now, we have line infantry, and it's suddenly a big deal. Why?

I think CA had some problems meeting the launch dealine (as all software developers do), having spent the better part of the last two days playing I've found bugs, most of which I can live with. But being anal attentive to detail, I keep seeing information messages that are outright wrong.

I mean, seriously, how difficult is it to type up the definition of celcius correctly, and there are loads of factual mistakes like that.

Oh yes, Starcraft with it's blue space marines and orange fire space marines, the differences were endless No game before it had ever done Space marines before (Sorry had to, GW fan club go)

In other news,

I still think the game has alot of potential.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belid Hagen View Post
    I think CA had some problems meeting the launch dealine (as all software developers do), having spent the better part of the last two days playing I've found bugs, most of which I can live with. But being anal attentive to detail, I keep seeing information messages that are outright wrong.

I mean, seriously, how difficult is it to type up the definition of celcius correctly, and there are loads of factual mistakes like that.
    Actually that was the original scale, before it got reversed.

In 1742 Swedish astronomer Anders Celsius (1701–1744) created a "reversed" version of the modern Celsius temperature scale whereby zero represented the boiling point of water and one hundred represented the freezing point of water.
    Thats from Wikipedia by the way, but I've seen that fact pop up in more reliable places.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast