Thread: I for one enjoy Empire:Total War

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Thumbs up I for one enjoy Empire:Total War

Honestly, after FINALLY navigating the annoying steam installation process and enduring terrible loading times and playing the first missions of that boring as all hell "Road to Independance" **** they have, as well as the nearly impossible to read in game text (which got better after experimenting with screen resolutions) and the MADDENLY frustrating DELAY on campaign map screen scroll when I move the mouse to the edges...I think I actually like the game.

The new research thingy in game, while taking time away from the killing and shooting I should be doing, has actually done something that no total war game before EB has EVER managed to do. That is, keep me focussed long enough to finish the campaign. While I don't like the changes to the interface and the inability to spawn agents (never used them in any other TW game but now I want them i can't make them and have to wait til they randomly spawn) and the kind of annoying fact that I can get a CLOSE VICTORY even when I destroy 3 times my number of elite stuff with only losing half my pathetic stack of colonial militia (or a quarter or even less. how about sinking 6 enemy ships with 4 inferior ones and not losing one..? yeah, a close victory apparently). Lets also not forget how damn slow naval battles are to get started and the impossibility to ever get a ship tied up and boarded.

Besides ALL these terrible design flaws made by CA I have to say I am enjoying it and have almost completed total domination of the world as Great britain (my second fully completed faction).

Anyone else seem to like it? I have only read bad reactions on this forum.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

Default Re: I for one enjoy Empire:Total War

Do you know if the problems you have with it could be improved with patches?
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

I like it. Already had Steam so that wasn't an issue, decent enough box and graphics card as well.

The only 2 problems I've personally had with the game is that, after several iterations, only the naval combat feels new and the unfortunate fact that I'm not a big fan of this period of warfare. I find the hack and slash age more interesting from a battle perspective.

At least it's different / interesting enough to keep my attention unlike M2TW which will sit on the shelf pretty much permanently till EB2 is released.

Couple of infrequent CTD bugs and a few other minor issues, but since they've announced a patch next week(ish) it's kinda hard to break out the torches and pitchforks yet. Par for the course on any new release nowadays (and sadly, better than most.)

Devout worshipper of Bilious Member miotas's Avatar

i quite like it, mostly due to the campaign rather than the battles, i dont like the new control scheme for battles and those victory identifiers are completely messed up, on the way to a region's capital i defeated a single unit of miltia with my full stack (2500 vs 160) and got a heroic victory, then at the capital i defeated 2enemy stacks while only loosing 500 men and got a close victory. Im assuming the game rationalised my heroic victory because i didnt loose any men but how on earth did it come up with that close victory . the naval combat combat has issues but when it works it is a really nice experience, (love hitting the gunpowder magazine) the issues seem to me like they could be patchable so fingers crossed

- Four Horsemen of the Presence

Give CA a time: when it's fully patched and has expansions it will be far better.

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Seems like there are people out there who actually like it. I think there are at least 2 threads on this forum about people who hate it, meanwhile the game has a review score of something like 90-95. Its just kinda hard to understand, maybe the dissenters are the noisy ones while those who approve keep quiet. Admittidly I don't think it deserves such a high score, its not THAT good. They really have killed lots that was very successful from the rome engine.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Thumbs down Re: I for one enjoy Empire:Total War

If a game is not positively looked upon the first week of its release, then it is a total failure. I tolerated M2TW. For two weeks. Then I quite. Spore was also fun. For a month. Then I quit it too, although I will undoubtedly re-visit. Some games may be fun, but not as playable. EB is the most playable, having played it for slightly more than a year. RTW was also nice. I have yet to see if ETW will be the same, which I doubt it will.
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 03-08-2009 at 04:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Blxz View Post
    Its just kinda hard to understand, maybe the dissenters are the noisy ones while those who approve keep quiet. Admittidly I don't think it deserves such a high score, its not THAT good. They really have killed lots that was very successful from the rome engine.
    lol all those who approve are busy actually playing it, and i bet all the dissenters are mostly those whose rigs meet the minimum specs rather than the recommended.

i do agree that 95 is too high a score but it is a good game with many good features, hopefully the next game will bring back the good from rome and keep the good in empire

95 is too generous,but 5 points at least should be taken off for the lack o unique units.
    Tribunus Decimvs Cornelivs Scapvla - BtSH

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Just think EBII will have graphics like this

I Win!!

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    If a game is not positively looked upon the first week of its release, then it is a total failure. I tolerated M2TW. For two weeks. Then I quite. Spore was also fun. For a month. Then I quit it too, although I will undoubtedly re-visit. Some games may be fun, but not as playable. EB is the most playable, having played it for slightly more than a year. RTW was also nice. I have yet to see if ETW will be the same, which I doubt it will.
    I gave up Spore in 2 days.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

Spore...**** that ****
    They ruined the game with all of that anti-piracy **** they put into it.
    Pay 60 bucks to ******* RENT a game! RENT! **** that in the ***.

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Jebus Carcinogen!

There are unique units, just not a lot of them. Try playing as Britan, Poland, or the Dutch for the most unique units.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

I noticed those, I like Prussia so new special units for me
    Tribunus Decimvs Cornelivs Scapvla - BtSH

Just think EBII will have graphics like this

I Win!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blxz View Post
    Seems like there are people out there who actually like it. I think there are at least 2 threads on this forum about people who hate it, meanwhile the game has a review score of something like 90-95. Its just kinda hard to understand, maybe the dissenters are the noisy ones while those who approve keep quiet.
    You can't put too much stock into release-date scores like that. M2TW got similar scores upon release yet CA had to release several GIGABYTES worth of patches to even address about half of the known issues. I think that CA is still the heavyweight champion in the size of its bug-fixing patches. Shiny, highly-anticipated games WILL get high scores regardless of their actual quality, especially if the reviewers aren't familiar with the series.
    From Fluvius Camillus for my Alexander screenshot

I haven't played Empire alot just yet, I would say I was impressed with map, general gameplay and sea battles. The land battles are alright, but some animations not so good and the unit movement a little strange.
    My son played a sea battle yesterday, six colonial ships v 6 French ships. It was bloody superb and fascinating to watch. Especially the two ships, that blew up, lots of smoke, fire and bits and pieces.
    I would long for a sea battle with Galleys firing Greek Fire and the ability to ram the opponent, now that would be fun.
    As someone else has said, I think alot of people's problems is with the rig. The box says 256mb Graphs and 1gb RAM. I suspect that is just not enough, I remember MTW2 games, struggling with my 256mb card. I have 2gb RAM and 512mb card and touch wood, all is well.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I rammed an enemy ship and it broke that tiny little fore-sail off. :(
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

I have a 256mb nvidea graphics card with a 3 gb ram. Can I run the game smoothly? If I have any amount of constant lag, I get a massive headache. I usually use systemrequirementslab.com but they havent put ETW in there.

Im very interested in the time period and type of units, but this steam thing seems wierd. What is it exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Steam is a program that you need to have running in order to play empire. You need to register, get an account and install Empire on that account. There's a whole steam thread in Parliament with questions.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Steam is a program that you need to have running in order to play empire. You need to register, get an account and install Empire on that account. There's a whole steam thread in Parliament with questions.
    You sir, earned yourself a balloon
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio Asiaticus View Post
    My son played a sea battle yesterday, six colonial ships v 6 French ships. It was bloody superb and fascinating to watch. Especially the two ships, that blew up, lots of smoke, fire and bits and pieces.
    Happened to be zoomed in one time on one of my ships when an opponent blew up and caught the crewmembers cheering and celebrating the destruction. Pointless animation but good stuff!

I agree with many of the comments on this thread. My old computer did not meet the specs and I could barely play the demo with terrible frame rates. when i downloaded the full game (took three hours total at 600 kb/s) it was very clunky even in the campaign screen. Battles were stuttering so bad it was unplayable. But I loved the game. It seemed so immersive. So I made the fateful decision to buy a new computer. It made a world of difference. Watching the game, the battles, and all the action was like watching a battle in The Patriot movie. If i can just get the banners and markers off of the men it would be perfect. but I cannot find a preferences file to edit.
    I was actually challenged by the AI. My heart loves EB but my brain loves ETW. The research tree is fascinating. I actually like playing the campaign road to victory. Just won the battle of bunker hill! I think for many of us Americans there is a certain pride with this game. I have always been fascinated with the revolutionary war period. Plus because I live in this country and have been to the battlefields this game is really cool. Seeing cities like Albany, St. Augustine, etc really brings this game home for me.
    As much as Ilove EB the locations are foreign. I have seen some of Europe but it is not my heritage. When im fighting with George Washington as my commander? I mean really thats pretty awesome. This is the guy that helped win independence and caused the US to become a country. How could I not love that.
    If they add a civil war expansion I will be in heaven. For many Europeans that would be like fighting the Napoleonic wars. Considering there have only been a few wars fought on US soil, being able to participate in a game like this is a lot of fun.

Hoorah, I balloon I've actually earned!

Chirurgeon, I can't believe how quickly you managed to download ETW, since it took 2 days for me to. Maybe the servers are less clogged..
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Quote Originally Posted by Chirurgeon View Post
    If i can just get the banners and markers off of the men it would be perfect. but I cannot find a preferences file to edit.
    under options > user interface> - Floating Flags
    - Selection Markers

HURRAH!! a question i know the answer to, now i feel special

i found them rather useless anyway so turned them off.

lol alot easier than in RTW thats for sure...thanks!