Thread: i suck at the campaign in this game...faction suggestion?

Default i suck at the campaign in this game...faction suggestion?

hello. I'll be flatout honest...I suck at this game. Well, not completely. I am really good at the battles, but i am dreadful in the campaign. Which is weird, because in rtw and m2tw, i was amazing at the campaign and downright horrible in the battles. Times have certainly changed...

either way, I need help: i don't have "the mind", or "the patience" (i put that in quotes for a reason, but i still don't know what it is) to think tactically or strategically in this game. I love this game, and I always did pretty good in rtw and m2tw. The point is, in rtw and m2tw i would generally just take a faction that had a really really easy starting position and develop quickly, then blow everyone to bits and pieces with my superior units and technology.

However, i can't seem to find this ultimate faction. GB i know probably has what would be considered a good starting position. Unfortunately, their positions in the americas is relatively weak, and i have all this great military technology, but i can't go to war with anybody, bc my american provinces are awful, and france is still too goddamn powerful for me to get into a full-fledged war with!!

Basically, to sum it all up, i couldn't give a damn about the faction's units: but does anybody know of some factions in this game that have a very, very, VERY VERY easy starting position on the campaign map, with a great ability to make lots of money and upgrade very quickly? I couldn't really care if their units are crap--I just need to have my first grand campaign in this game with an easy faction.

thanks so much, and sorry for the semi-long post!

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Default Re: i suck at the campaign in this game...faction suggestion?

If you're looking for a quick war, Russia's the way to go. They start out at war with the Ottomans, and probably go to war with Sweden pretty quickly.

Neither the Turks nor the Swedes seem particularly INTERESTED in taking over Russia, though, so you can focus on skirmishes and stealing St. Petersburg.

They dont start off rich, but you can get quite a nice chunk of money with the right developments.

The only frustrating bit is dealing with Georgia and Dagestan, both of which are a billion miles from your production centers and, thus, rather difficult to deal with, since you can only send crappy infantry after them, as your main forces will be in the west, dealing with Sweden and the Ottomans.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In Rome: Total War, all you had to do was build units and fling them at the enemy, enemy dead and no one gives a .

In Empire:Total war, such blitzing is very very expensive, also, when you go to war, they might have allies who want to join in as well.

However, you can still advance rather quickly through the game using strategy and some turns, just focus on aspects just as your economy to power yourself up, as it is more benefitical just to invest in what you have then trying to expand.
    Last edited by Martok; 03-07-2009 at 01:55. Reason: swearing
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I would recommend the Marathas. I'm a quarter-way into a campaign with them, and it's a good position. Two territories, with two easily snarfed within, one major opponent (the Mughals). Sure, you have to take Portugal's port, but they get over it (in my campaign by becoming dead). Yes, they're allied with the Brits, but the English don't really care, and will drop their war with you the first time you send them a tea set.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I found winning the campaign with Marathas quite easy, that I did do. I did a massive blitz against the Mughals (kept heading into bankrupt with them blocking all my ports) then Mysore attacked me with a massive army in the south. So I sped up my assault against the Mughal which meant losing my army in the process as I didn't refuel between captures, then had to build up fast enough in the south to counter and destroy the Mysore.

Luckily, Portugal assaulted Mysore themselves, even though they lost, their army was destroyed, so was Mysore's, which lead me to a victory taking those areas, and the British didn't care about the whole thing.

Then for the take 50 odd turns, I turned India into a complete powerhouse getting 50,000 per turn income, being the most technological advanced nation (I bought the technology with my tons of wealth, plus my own university) and currently own Rupert's Land and Riga for staging posts in Europe and America.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by TiberiusBeskar View Post
    In Rome: Total War, all you had to do was build units and fling them at the enemy, enemy dead and no one gives a .

In Empire:Total war, such blitzing is very very expensive, also, when you go to war, they might have allies who want to join in as well.

However, you can still advance rather quickly through the game using strategy and some turns, just focus on aspects just as your economy to power yourself up, as it is more benefitical just to invest in what you have then trying to expand.
    yes, well...you see, that's my problem!! I know it's incredibly expensive to have this "blitz" strategy, which is why i'm looking for a faction that starts out with TONS of potential to make TONS of money quickly.

I had heard A LOT about marathas, and after looking at their units in a custom battle, i must say i was convinced i would try them. Guys riding elephants with guns is too much awesomeness to resist.

Either way, i found that when i started, on the very first turn, the mughals raided and took over almost ALL of my villages, ports, schools, towns and all my resources! All i had left was one feeble, measly little village that was producing nothing!

My money quickly vanished, and because i had no money, i was unable to retake all of my posts, farms, and villages. if you remember the beginning of the marathas campaign, theres a good sized mughal army that actually starts out in your capital's region, which is kind of unfair, but whatever. It was that army that took out all my resources. I am going to try a marathas campaign once more, except this time, i am not only going to do almost all of my blitzing on the campaign map. I think i will like the marathas campaign because i am surrounded by enemies (or, rather one really huge and vast enemy) and this enemy has no allies in the area that can attack me. Because of this, i feel i will be able to deal with the mughal empire easily, and with a method that is to my liking.

Thanks for the help and the quick responses, people. May all your empires flourish.

PS: I will come back here if the marathas campaign doesn't work out as well as i think/hope it will.
    Last edited by Martok; 03-07-2009 at 01:55. Reason: Edited quote