Thread: Campaign Map issues, primarily interface

Default Campaign Map issues, primarily interface

So I have a few early issues I'd love to see if anyone's worked on.

First off, scrolling the map by putting the cursor to the mapedge of the main window involves a delay of about a second. It drives me bananas. I've been using wasd to scroll the main map around - which was perhaps the point - but what the dickens is the point of the map edge delay, and how can I turn it off?

Second, is there a way to turn off the ambient wind noise without turning off all sound? It seems there is one solitary sound-effect button for me to manipulate, so that if I don't want to hear the continuous WHOOOOOOOOSHWOOOOSH in the background of Sweden's campaign map, I have to turn off battle sounds, interface sounds, army sounds, etc. Not a very good solution.

Third, and I hesitate to discuss performance because everyone's sick of individualistic whines on this, I am a bit perplexed that the campaign map seems a bit choppy on 'medium' settings considering that I've got an 8400 Wolfdale duo core chip from last year and a 9800GTX 512mb video card. It isn't bleeding edge but it's a new machine: is there one or two particular features of the campaign map that really make it chug, which I could disable? I haven't tried taking it off Shader 3 yet I think, anything like that?

Hope everyone's having fun.

Default Re: Campaign Map issues, primarily interface

Bah, I'll go hunting around in the settings files and see if I can find any flags like "irritating map scroll lag=1" or something.

EDIT: Except, of course, that there is no descr_strat.txt files that I can see, at least not in the game directories proper.
    Last edited by GM1940; 03-07-2009 at 01:14.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GM1940 View Post
    So I have a few early issues I'd love to see if anyone's worked on.

First off, scrolling the map by putting the cursor to the mapedge of the main window involves a delay of about a second. It drives me bananas. I've been using wasd to scroll the main map around - which was perhaps the point - but what the dickens is the point of the map edge delay, and how can I turn it off?

Second, is there a way to turn off the ambient wind noise without turning off all sound? It seems there is one solitary sound-effect button for me to manipulate, so that if I don't want to hear the continuous WHOOOOOOOOSHWOOOOSH in the background of Sweden's campaign map, I have to turn off battle sounds, interface sounds, army sounds, etc. Not a very good solution.

Third, and I hesitate to discuss performance because everyone's sick of individualistic whines on this, I am a bit perplexed that the campaign map seems a bit choppy on 'medium' settings considering that I've got an 8400 Wolfdale duo core chip from last year and a 9800GTX 512mb video card. It isn't bleeding edge but it's a new machine: is there one or two particular features of the campaign map that really make it chug, which I could disable? I haven't tried taking it off Shader 3 yet I think, anything like that?

Hope everyone's having fun.
    Turn off Grass, and AA if you have it. Turn everything a setting lower.

There is no desc_strat and you would be praised if you could mod anything.

The scroll mouse delay is a feature, not a bug. Stop posting about it, i count at least 4 posts from you about this already. If you have a city on the edge of your screen, you go to click it, and the screen zooms past it, whos annoyed now?

Its all about less use of the mouse and more of the keyboard. WASD to move the map, its not hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Actually the wind noise isn't so bad, when im zoomed in on the map i hear a constant 'donk donk donk' noise like a single footstep every second or so?

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Turn off your sound?

I dunno about you guys, but there aren't that many things to listen to in the campaign map anyways.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Turn off Grass, and AA if you have it. Turn everything a setting lower.
    I have grass and shadows off, as they aren't aesthetic priorities for me. The battle map's actually performing quite well, I don't know if the grass setting has anything to do with the campaign map. I've also been trying to put the campaign map somewhere bland while I do next turn, with show AI moves turned off; the visuals stutter during the doubtlessly complex turn mechanics.

There is no desc_strat and you would be praised if you could mod anything.
    Turning the effects down relative to the other sound features made the wind sound a non-issue on the campaign map, I'm happy to say.

I did notice the same footstep sound as Zoring did, but since I put the sound down relative to the music and speech I haven't noticed it.

The scroll mouse delay is a feature, not a bug. Stop posting about it, i count at least 4 posts from you about this already
    You miscounted. Just the post above, and the addendum below it, which admittedly should have been editted onto the original post. The original version, as quoted, also observed that it might be a (peculiar) feature and that I was already using WASD.

I don't like the howling mob of release-day whiners any more than you (apparently) do, but the reason why I posted is because CA games usually allow this sort of thing to be tweaked. If this game is less accessible than I'm sure I'll get used to this "feature." Different things perturb different people.
    Last edited by GM1940; 03-07-2009 at 03:23.