Thread: Swedish Faction

Default Swedish Faction

I will try to give my impression of this faction. It has a start made for buildup if you just keep neighbours happy. I like that but historically Sweden was att war with everyone (Poland, Russia and Denmark) at the year 1700. I'm so happy and impressed that real native languages are used and it is with perfect accent in this faction. Sadly though commands are pronounced qite corny and some are really wrong. Some are good thogh. The command "fire" is (i belive) the historically correct "ge fyr" in swedish I just wish they had someone else pronunce it, but i'ts not untollerable.

My greatest disapointment is the lack of swedish uniqe units and the low quality of the line infantry. Especially since there are usable examples like "livdrabanter" (sort of royal guard). The hakkapelitta which is in the game seems to be one the crappiest unit in the faction and sadly the only uniqe unit for the faction!? The swedish line infantry is mediocre compared to the the other factions. Historically Sweden had a very strong army at the time with an agressive doctrine relying heavily on melee and manouvering to win. The line infantry could have been made with higher morale or attack values than it has now.

Overall i like the faction and the game is awsome, spectacular when bugs are fixed.

G
    Last edited by Gustav II Adolf; 03-07-2009 at 16:47.
    The renaissance total war, colonial total war, imperial total war - That´s what we need

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Swedish Faction

I thought every faction had the same stats for Line Infantry. Are you sure they are lower in stats?
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    I thought every faction had the same stats for Line Infantry. Are you sure they are lower in stats?
    I think there is some very small factional variation for a few stats. Prussia has slightly better than average infantry if I remeber correctly.
    Last edited by Sir Beane; 03-07-2009 at 17:44.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Yes they differ in stats. GB has most powerfull with 8 melee attack,15 defence, 10 morale. Prussia second with 8,14,10. France 10,13,9. Sweden 8,13,9. Russia 8,12,9. I have fought Prussian line infantry and the differences are quite clear in battle. Also we were similar in reserch bayonets.

G
    Last edited by Gustav II Adolf; 03-07-2009 at 17:23.
    The renaissance total war, colonial total war, imperial total war - That´s what we need

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

Most Line Infantry have different stats for different countries. It's still not amazing variety, but there's more variety in the units than people realize.
    Last edited by Graphic; 03-07-2009 at 21:35.

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

My greatest disapointment is the lack of swedish uniqe units and the low quality of the line infantry
    Indeed. Though according to some friends on Steam who have played Sweden, she starts in a relatively stable and strong position. Definately will be my first Grand Campaign faction to play, it should be nice to refight the Great Northern War.

(Also, Sweden was one of the few countries to continue the use of pikes, is this replicated in the game?)
    Last edited by KarlXII; 03-07-2009 at 19:51.
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

I can understand making the brits the overall best line infantry, the qute "britiswh infantry is the worlds finest, fortunately there arent many of them" being from this era, but making the swedes weak in melee is just plain wrong.

Default Sv: Re: Swedish Faction

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishFish View Post
    (Also, Sweden was one of the few countries to continue the use of pikes, is this replicated in the game?)
    Well there is a pikeman unit available but not sure if it's available for the rest(only played Sweden so far).

Understanding in a Car Crash Member RZST's Avatar

Default Re: Sv: Re: Swedish Faction

pikemen are available to other factions as well.
    Last edited by RZST; 03-07-2009 at 21:07.

Taking on seven years that the holy ghost had left alone
    test my arms, kick like crazy, Ive been trying way too long.
    only if he could push his way off and fight you
    Im sorry, Im sorry, Im not sure
    Getting this off my chest, the story ends.

In 1700's, most, about 80% of battle wounds and casualties were inflicted by musket balls, so melee combat was rare.
    'Hannibal had been the victor at Cannae, and as if the Romans had good cause to boast that you have only strength enough for one blow, and that like a bee that has left its sting you are now inert and powerless.'

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Not for the Swedes. Pikes were an integral part of their army, until Sweden was defeated and became the cold, neutral nation we know today.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Not for the Swedes. Pikes were an integral part of their army, until Sweden was defeated and became the cold, neutral nation we know today.
    In what way is Sweden more "cold" now, than before?

Well, I think with global warming, this is about to change (unfortunately).
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Indeed, we were a bit old fashion.
    However the game starts just 9 years before Poltava which was the end of Sweden as a major power so I can see from CA's point of view that spending time and effort on making Sweden unique when it was being outdated shortly afterwards as slightly pointless.
    Hell I'm even surprised they even bothered to do give them swedish voices(some of it is really funny).

Still I have no problem with it's army in the game, it's does it's job well enough.
    Even if it's weak stat-wise it just kinda adds to the fact that Sweden became a major power thanks to superior tactics despite being pretty much outnumbered and out-gunned in most battles.
    Last edited by TB666; 03-08-2009 at 03:00.

It would've made more sense to give Sweden one of the formation techs to symbolize their use of tactics over raw strength at the time. Prussia starts with the first bayonet tech so I don't feel that would be too much of a stretch.

Except in my game and some others too, Prussia seems to be at war with pretty much anyone close by, Sweden isn't.
    Prussia might have been give that to balance things out.

Default Re: Sv: Re: Swedish Faction

Quote Originally Posted by TB666 View Post
    Indeed, we were a bit old fashion.
    However the game starts just 9 years before Poltava which was the end of Sweden as a major power so I can see from CA's point of view that spending time and effort on making Sweden unique when it was being outdated shortly afterwards as slightly pointless.
    Hell I'm even surprised they even bothered to do give them swedish voices(some of it is really funny).

Still I have no problem with it's army in the game, it's does it's job well enough.
    Even if it's weak stat-wise it just kinda adds to the fact that Sweden became a major power thanks to superior tactics despite being pretty much outnumbered and out-gunned in most battles.
    From my experiences, I would avoid pikes like the plague. They do not seem to have the massive bonus against cavalry that they had in medieval 2, and fight with sabers unless you set them in a pike wall or square formation.

In my custom battles of pikemen against cavalry, the cavalry defeated the pikemen, even when they were in pike wall formation. Only when in square formation could the pikes win.

And in melee against muskets? They have either the same stats or lower, so by the time they reach melee, they are already at a disadvantage.
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien