Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Jersey and Oregon

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default New Jersey and Oregon

Why can't I pump gas in your states? Enlighten me please.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Default Re: New Jersey and Oregon

I've heard that those who pump gas for customers help prevent "gas waste" by handling the hoses properly.

Or the two states are run by eco-authoritarians.
    Last edited by Marshal Murat; 03-08-2009 at 03:53. Reason: Correct Sarcasm
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Speaking as a New Jerseyan, I have no idea. We have really cheap gas and we don't even have to pump it.

Could be because of the eco thing, but the policy was in place even when we had a Republican governor in Whitman. I know she later ran the EPA, but that's not saying much considering Bush appointed her.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

The defense I've always heard here (oregon), is job creation and uniqueness. To be honest I think most people wouldn't mind doing it their self but it has become such a part of what makes Oregon Oregon that it every attempt to overturn it has failed.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

If you ever lived in Oregon you'd know that it's much nicer inside the car when it's raining. You just have to hope that the rain is coming from the passenger side, or else you have to roll down both windows to stop the car from flooding.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I probably asked this before, but whereabouts you from, GH? And I don't have a solid answer but I vaguely remember someone telling me it was enacted because someone pumping their own gas started a fire or something. So classic New Jersey nanny-statism, but one I don't really care about.
    Last edited by Alexander the Pretty Good; 03-08-2009 at 09:18.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Winter View Post
    The defense I've always heard here (oregon), is job creation and uniqueness.
    Job creation has to be one of the stupidest reasons in human history for such an idea.

It always peeves me when I go to Oregon. They must think I get as stupid as them when I enter their state - Hello! It takes a couple years for the IQ drop to take effect!*

CR
    *based on the latest research I've seen.
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    I probably asked this before, but whereabouts you from, GH? And I don't have a solid answer but I vaguely remember someone telling me it was enacted because someone pumping their own gas started a fire or something. So classic New Jersey nanny-statism, but one I don't really care about.
    I grew up in Cherry Hill.

And I don't mind it too, although it is slightly annoying when the pumpers round up. Last summer, back when prices were ridiculous, you were paying enough as it is. I remember asking a guy to fill it up and it comes to something like $XX.40 and the guy takes it all the way to the next dollar. That's wrong on more than a few levels.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    I remember asking a guy to fill it up and it comes to something like $XX.40 and the guy takes it all the way to the next dollar. That's wrong on more than a few levels.
    That is Jersey's version of "self service".
    This space intentionally left blank

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

Nothing like the continuation of useless jobs.

The pumpers should at least be required to dress up like pimps when they're showing you how to properly handle them hose.

"Texaco, where's my ten percent. You watch here BP. Let me show you what happens when a hose don't listen to her pump!"
    Last edited by Yoyoma1910; 03-08-2009 at 16:36.

My kingdom for a .

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    Job creation has to be one of the stupidest reasons in human history for such an idea.

It always peeves me when I go to Oregon. They must think I get as stupid as them when I enter their state - Hello! It takes a couple years for the IQ drop to take effect!*

CR
    *based on the latest research I've seen.
    What’s with OR any way?

They know how to tick people off though! Didn’t WA & OR go to war once?

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    What’s with OR any way?
    It's all the ex hippies.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Winter View Post
    It's all the ex hippies.
    Dumb California ex-hippies. They were told to go north of the border to avoid the draft, they didn't understand this meant Canada.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Dumb California ex-hippies. They were told to go north of the border to avoid the draft, they didn't understand this meant Canada.
    They understood what it meant, but while traversing Humboldt county they got sorta....distracted...and never got past the Williamette valley.

Both Oregon and Jersey are, effectively, closed shop states. Unions -- with their preserve all jobs at almost any cost attitude -- wield a lot of political power in these states, often disproportionately to their numbers.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

You can trust your car to the man who wears the star, Texaco Star that is. And he used to check your oil, tire pressure & clean the windows too, that was service. Now one scurries inside to prepay (like some common criminal) before having the privilege of pumping your own and then back in to get your change. Yes, the Golden Age of motoring is long past.... Philistines.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Job creation is a valid excuse for a slew of other political causes, so why not this?

I can't speak for those states, though, but here there is a huge difference in price for self serv vs full service, but maybe thats because all of the full servs here actually check the oil, air the tires, wash the windows etc.

So, are you supposed to tip these guys?
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Infoplease on Gas Pumping

The purpose of these laws was to protect consumers and gas station owners from costly, and possibly deadly, accidents. Better education and improved technology, however, have made pumping gas much safer and easier for consumers over the last 50 years. Since the 1970s, self-service gas stations have grown in popularity.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

You say job creation. I say communist takeover.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    So, are you supposed to tip these guys?
    Nope.

Nope.
    Is it weird? I would make sexual advances toward my pumper. Unbutton my top button, lick my lips, tell him he can really handle that long shaft ETC.

The daily show asked some senator dude questions about this in an interview and he said it was because of the threat of wild dogs attacking customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    The daily show asked some senator dude questions about this in an interview and he said it was because of the threat of wild dogs attacking customers.
    So it's ok if the pumper gets mauled? WE WERE GOING TO HAVE A LIFE TOGETHER

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Is it weird? I would make sexual advances toward my pumper. Unbutton my top button, lick my lips, tell him he can really handle that long shaft ETC.
    Well, most of my pumpers are middle-aged Middle Eastern guys, so I don't think that's in the cards.

Usually I just roll down my window and go "Hi, can I get $XX of regular/fill it up with regular".

Well, most of my pumpers are middle-aged Middle Eastern guys, so I don't think that's in the cards.

Usually I just roll down my window and go "Hi, can I get $XX of regular/fill it up with regular".
    You just don't know how to grease them.

Blog Entries

LOL! Clip anywhere?

I guess they don't care about the pumpers...

Not in Oregon. At least, the one guy I saw was white.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    You just don't know how to grease them.
    Enlighten me, O Master.

Enlighten me, O Master.
    Say my friend after everything, Strike up a conversation, Pat his shoulder allot while laughing. I did this with the Indian guy who runs a local convieint store and now he sells me booze.

I assume the next step is marriage. That's how these things work right?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    LOL! Clip anywhere?

I guess they don't care about the pumpers...
    Here:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/in...e=Pump-My-Ride

Well worth a watch.

Blog Entries

It's people like him that give my state the reputation it has.

Blog Entries

Hilarious!

Thanks for the link

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast