Thread: Government types

Newtownards, Co.Down, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Default Government types

Does anyone know the advantages and disadvantages of them all yet?

"Where some states have an army, the Prussian Army has a state!"
    - Voltaire

"There is no mistake; there has been no mistake; and there shall be no mistake."
    - 1st Duke of Wellington, Arthur Wellesley

No place like home.

Default Re: Government types

Quote Originally Posted by KozaK13 View Post
    Does anyone know the advantages and disadvantages of them all yet?
    Well the biggest disadvantage is they're all corrupt but you do get the dubious advantage of knowing when they are lying {it's whenever they are telling you something} .
    7 out of 10 people like me ,
    I'm not going to change for the other three .

Blog Entries

OH SNAP

Is there a way of changing your government type? For example, I am currently playing as Austria and I'd quite like to placate the proles by changing to a Constitutional Monarchy. Is a revolution the only way?
    Only a few seek liberty; the majority seek nothing more than fair masters - Sallust

A lie told often enough becomes truth - Vladimir Lenin

Confiscator of Swords Member dopp's Avatar

Yes, it seems you must have a revolution to change government. I think you can go through the game without a revolution, but you'll probably need to spam dragoons a lot. The main advantage of switching to republic is that it gets rid of all the 'clamor for reform' built up by researching the various technologies. After researching everything I was running a -16 to public happiness penalty in every city due to 'clamor for reform'. A little learning IS a dangerous thing, I guess.
    Last edited by dopp; 03-08-2009 at 14:51. Reason: To cut a long story short...

For some reason the clamour for reform in my case was only present in those provinces which had universities.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister V View Post
    For some reason the clamour for reform in my case was only present in those provinces which had universities.
    That's why college is always fun, you get a lot of party(ing) opportunities.
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

If you look at the building details for the schools lines, you'll see they all cause a lot of questioning of the wisdom of government. (Or lack thereof.)

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

You can raise tax levels stupidly high, exempt all regions but your capital from it, remove all troops from your capital, and spam universities, and it should happen.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Meh. I prefer keeping order. An Enlightened Despot suits me just fine. Since it doesn't seem to have any economic benefits (like the govs in GalCiv2, for example), what's the point?

The government types effect the public order and at the same time how other nations view you. If you become a republic you'll likely make enemies with any form on Monarchy. I don't know much else besides.

Thumbs up Re: Government types

Meh. I prefer keeping order. An Enlightened Despot suits me just fine. Since it doesn't seem to have any economic benefits (like the govs in GalCiv2, for example), what's the point?
    Supreme power. He can appoint and boot out ministers at will, and also pick out any pretty peasant girl he likes without suffering the penalties as stated by the law.
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 03-08-2009 at 18:19.

By "it" I meant the democratic government.

Upon the Altar of Gods, awaiting a worthy warrior...

Actually, there are economic benefits, they are just indirect in nature. For example, if you take a look at all the enlightenment techs which allow you to further expand your economy and the like, they all have a clamor for reform negative hanging on them. However, under a republic this is nullified entirely, and with a constitutional monarchy, they are slightly less than for an absolute monarchy.

So if you want to research those economic techs as an absolute monarchy, you will be forced to spend huge amounts of cash on police forces in order to combat all that clamor for reform that you will be getting, or you can choose to forgo the benefits of the techs altogether and fall behind economically.

The downside is that you are unable to select your cabinet as a republic or constitutional monarchy, which can sometimes hurt alot if you have a couple ministers with some nasty traits.
    Repent For tomorrow you die -Battlecry of the Dark Angels

Newtownards, Co.Down, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Are there any differences between constitutional monarchies and republics, other than the president of a republic changes every 16 turns and the monarch of a con. monarchy is for life?

"Where some states have an army, the Prussian Army has a state!"
    - Voltaire

"There is no mistake; there has been no mistake; and there shall be no mistake."
    - 1st Duke of Wellington, Arthur Wellesley

No place like home.

Upon the Altar of Gods, awaiting a worthy warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by KozaK13 View Post
    Are there any differences between constitutional monarchies and republics, other than the president of a republic changes every 16 turns and the monarch of a con. monarchy is for life?
    Constitutional monarchies are basically a middleground between absolutism and republicanism, they get part of the benefits and negative aspects of both but not nearly as pronounced as either.
    Repent For tomorrow you die -Battlecry of the Dark Angels