Thread: How to defend the 13 colonies ?

Default How to defend the 13 colonies ?

One thing I can't work out is how I can help the 13 colonies when they are attacked ( playing as British on Hard/Hard). They are my proctectorate so I feel I shoul try to help them.

If I move a fleet into their only port ( New York ) I get a message asking if I want to declare war on them. That only leaves two options , take the very long way around canada or attack the French in Quibec.

Has anybody come up with a better method ( am I missing something ) ?

I must add , having a very enjoyable time overall. The first time my Red Coats advanced in line formation towards the enemy was incredable.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Default Re: How to defend the 13 colonies ?

Quote Originally Posted by Womf View Post
    One thing I can't work out is how I can help the 13 colonies when they are attacked ( playing as British on Hard/Hard). They are my proctectorate so I feel I shoul try to help them.

If I move a fleet into their only port ( New York ) I get a message asking if I want to declare war on them. That only leaves two options , take the very long way around canada or attack the French in Quibec.

Has anybody come up with a better method ( am I missing something ) ?

I must add , having a very enjoyable time overall. The first time my Red Coats advanced in line formation towards the enemy was incredable.
    You can march across their lands, or drop your troops off at anywhere except the port. Moving a fleet into the port would be blockading it.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Why would you need to move a fleet into their port?

Btw I'm about to start the English campaign myself, I'd like advice too.

I am a total plonker , I had assumed that all troops had to be unloaded in a port ha ha.

I am really enjoying playang the British , I have tried to follow an early stratergy of maximising trade and research whilst avoiding conflict. That has proven to be quite difficult , the alliances tend to drag you into wars , you can also run out of trading partners if you are not careful and that kills the British economy.

The AI loves to blockade trade routes , at one point the Mediterranean looked like the M25 during a bad traffic jam there were so many fleets jockying for position.

Can't you negotiate military access with them? I haven't tried with a protectorate, so not positive. Would expect you can though.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

He already has military access. To be a protectorate, you need that.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Womf View Post
    I am a total plonker , I had assumed that all troops had to be unloaded in a port ha ha.

I am really enjoying playang the British , I have tried to follow an early stratergy of maximising trade and research whilst avoiding conflict. That has proven to be quite difficult , the alliances tend to drag you into wars , you can also run out of trading partners if you are not careful and that kills the British economy.

The AI loves to blockade trade routes , at one point the Mediterranean looked like the M25 during a bad traffic jam there were so many fleets jockying for position.
    The best thing to do to protect the Thirteen Colonies is to take them over as quickly as possible. Take the three regions you need for hte mission early on and then bribe the French and Cherokee into a ceasefire (or not if you ancy a war).

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

When you attack the native Americans try switching off the "ask your allies to fight" option... I didn't and the Thirteen declared war too. They then promply started lossing (my future!) territory to the locals...

Philadelphia was razed to the groud before I could turn things around...
    Last edited by Bob the Insane; 03-08-2009 at 20:54.

Having alot of fun with my British campaign, just stuck it on medium since it's my first TW campaign in a few years. Got to say, I think I'd be screwed on harder difficulties. I was simultaneously at war with the Iroquis (sp?), Huron, Cherokee, France and Spain who could all have attacked me at same time, but it seems on medium theres some kind of cap on how many nations will attack you simulatenously. As soon as a finished off the Iroquis, literally the next thing that happened was a Huron army rolled up on Moose Factory.

One thing I did that helped alot with the war against the Cherokee, I was annoyed about how long it took my troops to move through the 13 Colonies (this was when I was trying to take Georgia and Cherokee Territory for the mission) so I traded the Bahamas and Jamaica for Virginia :P Economically this may have been a bad idea, but they're so out the way they're hard to defend, or even remember to build up, and having a base near the Cherokee sped up the war alot. Plus I got the Islands back as soon as the mission completed anyway.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The 13 Colonies are now the what-the-heck-did-they-do colonies.

They traded a few of their northerns regions for about 5 french regions. Including islands and stuff...
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    The 13 Colonies are now the what-the-heck-did-they-do colonies.

They traded a few of their northerns regions for about 5 french regions. Including islands and stuff...
    I had the same experience. They traded their most northern region for French Guyana. Without my permission of course.
    Tosa Inu