Thread: How does Prestige work?

Default How does Prestige work?

I think I've missed something about the "Prestige" feature.

I'm playing a Prestige grand campaign as France. I own all of North America excluding a few native lands in the far West and the 13 Colonies. I own all of India excluding modern day Pakistan. In Europe I only conquered Savoy. I'm allied with the Brits, Spain, the Dutch and a plethora of lesser nations. I have trading rights with everyone from the Brits to Russia and the Ottomans. 3 decent fleets with 2nd and 3rd rates. About 2 decent colonial armies in America along with garrisons here and there. 3 elite, experienced colonial armies in India with A LOT of garrisons all over the place. Large garrisons and 2 elite armies in France.

My mainland and my colonies are developped and christianised.

I'm high up in the tech tree - even the blasted enlightment branch. Louis XVI, my current ruler, still has his head.

And I have a "weak" prestige... While England rules supreme.

What do I have to do? Invade London? Take Boston and Philadelphia?

Actually I'm currently amassing a 15 stack of catholic priests to stir trouble in England, but I doubt that will do anything for my prestige.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Default Re: How does Prestige work?

I think that achievements and different things just have a numerical value and they add up to your cumulative prestige score. For instance I know from my current campaign that every star fort you build raises your prestige by 5 points. Outside of buildings and technologies I have no idea how it works, other than I assume holding a certain city has a certain value tied to it. It would be really nice to see just how much prestige everything gives in some sort of guide.

Edit: I would think that having the largest navy/army in the world or highest population and stuff like that would raise your prestige also, but I guess all that is in the "background" to your prestige score if it even factors in at all. I am really interested to hear what other people have figured out about the prestige.
    Last edited by Ardri; 03-09-2009 at 00:39.

Well for now, the only solution I found to raising my prestige above that of very prestigious AI factions was to beat their prestige out of them... Not exactly my favorite solution, but it does work.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Whilst playing as the dutch, whilst I hadnt conquered much (1-2 regions), i had a huge prestige. Apparently (avvording to the screen in a tab somewhere) it was because of military (presumeably having a big army-does win ratio count), economy (i had lots of money) and tech (i was way up the tech tree). Navy also counts apparently. Try to improve these areas, and hope for the best

Army Prestige: Have a huge army, obviously.

Fleet Prestige: Have a huge fleet, obviously.

Economy Prestige: High economy prestige seems to be related to the economic buildings you build; i.e., the ressource buildings. You need to build these up to the top levels (which means you need to tech up).

Tech Prestige: You get some prestige from researching the philosophy techs, but the main prestige boost here seems to be related to the high level city buildings (note that many of these buildings also indicate a prestige bonus) and perhaps the level of your schools/universities.
    Designer/Developer
    Imperium - Rise of Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Whilst playing as the dutch, whilst I hadnt conquered much (1-2 regions), i had a huge prestige. Apparently (avvording to the screen in a tab somewhere) it was because of military (presumeably having a big army-does win ratio count), economy (i had lots of money) and tech (i was way up the tech tree). Navy also counts apparently. Try to improve these areas, and hope for the best
    Quote Originally Posted by Strategy View Post
    Army Prestige: Have a huge army, obviously.

Fleet Prestige: Have a huge fleet, obviously.

Economy Prestige: High economy prestige seems to be related to the economic buildings you build; i.e., the ressource buildings. You need to build these up to the top levels (which means you need to tech up).

Tech Prestige: You get some prestige from researching the philosophy techs, but the main prestige boost here seems to be related to the high level city buildings (note that many of these buildings also indicate a prestige bonus) and perhaps the level of your schools/universities.

Exactly... as I said in the first post, I controlled the largest colonial empire with enormous armies and was nearly at the top of the tech three...

Either there's something bugged, or there's something more which I am not aware of. Frankly, prestige seems as reliable as the rankings in M2TW.

im playing a world domination camp as marthras and im winning in prestige i own all of india and a few other random provinces, military is my biggest one, but im up with all the other factions on everything cept navy.

im also making over 30k a turn although im spending like 25k haha
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In all my games, my prestige is easily 4/5 times larger than everyone elses, apart from my USA game.

What is annoying, however, is that power/economy setting during the diplomacy screen, it doesn't make sense. I could be totalling some one classed as terrifying without breaking a sweat, but I would be classed as "weak" ?
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."