Thread: Save game directory

Question Save game directory

In the course of playing two campaigns to the year 1740+ and saving a little too often I have accumulated a ridiculous amount of saves that I would like to delete and clear out, but I cannot for the life of me find the directory where they are saved. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

Default Re: Save game directory

We really need a sticky for this.

Vista: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\save_games
    XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\save_games (Someone check this?)

Make sure you set Windows to show hidden files.

Edit: I don't think that is the correct XP path, but I'll keep looking around. Thanks for the feedback though.
    Last edited by Ardri; 03-09-2009 at 00:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardri View Post
    Edit: I don't think that is the correct XP path, but I'll keep looking around. Thanks for the feedback though.
    It is correct for me. maybe your win XP is actually vista? :P

Member Member Lord of the Isles's Avatar

quadalpha has the right of it, but just to confirm his XP suggestion, and provide a little more detail:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\save_games
    Vista: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\save_games

If you do not seem to have these folders, the likeliest reason you can't see them is that your explorer is set not to show you 'hidden' files and folders (Microsoft trying to help users - as usual the opposite result is the commonest one - the idiots). To see them on XP:

-- In an Explorer window (e.g. open a My Computer window), go to C:\Document and Settings\<username> where <username> is the name of the a/c you use to log in. If you don't use a login box to access your computer, there should be some folder in this area that corresponds to your user (Administrator maybe?).

-- Select Tools -> Folder Options, then the View tab.

-- Click on 'Show hidden files and folders' and optionally (I always like to) unclick 'Hide protected operating system files'

-- Click on 'Apply' button and I always like to also click on 'Apply to all folders'

With luck, that will reveal Application Data. If you do not have Administrator rights on your a/c, I suspect you won't be able to do this, and you are stuck.

You have to enable show hidden files/folders in folder options on Vista too (not sure if Vista sets folder options in the same way as XP though I suspect it will be similar). As quadalpha said, a sticky for this might prevent multiple threads (as is the case at more than this site).

I thought I had all my files shown, guess I'm more of a newb than I thought I was, thanks for the help fellas!

Quote Originally Posted by Ardri View Post
    I thought I had all my files shown, guess I'm more of a newb than I thought I was, thanks for the help fellas!
    Damn! 6.36GB worth of saved games!!!!!
    and New Zealand.

Lol I had 2 gbs of saved games and Im not even done with my British campaign!