Thread: HUGE Improvement in Turn Time!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default HUGE Improvement in Turn Time!

my turns with EB 1.2 have always been around 1 min to 1:15. well a few months ago i installed a new 1TB hard drive as a storage drive (SATA II drive in a SATA I port). last night i finally got around to moving my RTW install and all associated mods from my old boot drive to the new one...holy crap! my turns in EB went down to 25-30 sec!!
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

ETW Steam: Little Fox Member mini's Avatar

Default Re: HUGE Improvement in Turn Time!

my turns take about 5 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by mini View Post
    my turns take about 5 seconds.
    Same here. (If I hide the enemies turns.)

I don't really get the point of this thread though...

The first round of the tournament has started. Who's going to prevail?

Gladius or Sarissa, Scutum or Aspis?

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

*Sarcastic Yeah Right Smilie*
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

5 seconds? Wow. My computer is pretty good but the turn time keeps on increasing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Quote Originally Posted by mcantu View Post
    my turns with EB 1.2 have always been around 1 min to 1:15. well a few months ago i installed a new 1TB hard drive as a storage drive (SATA II drive in a SATA I port). last night i finally got around to moving my RTW install and all associated mods from my old boot drive to the new one...holy crap! my turns in EB went down to 25-30 sec!!
    Well I'd guess you went up from 5400rpm to 7200rpm and the former is no contender with the latter all other things being equal (and I presume they're not given how fast HD tech moves, so the old disk wouldn't've been a contender anyways). A possibility is that your OS swaps parts of RAM to HD when playing EB, something which should've gained a massive boost simply from improved sequential read times, however... that begs the question why you'd get away with 1:15 previously... (swapping trashes performance, due to the fact that a HD is easily a factor of 1000 slower than any RAM).
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 03-09-2009 at 15:39.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Another good idea would be to have EB on its own partition (if at all possible) that is defraged and has some free space. It runs as fast as possible.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    Well I'd guess you went up from 5400rpm to 7200rpm and the former is no contender with the latter all other things being equal (and I presume they're not given how fast HD tech moves, so the old disk wouldn't've been a contender anyways). A possibility is that your OS swaps parts of RAM to HD when playing EB, something which should've gained a massive boost simply from improved sequential read times, however... that begs the question why you'd get away with 1:15 previously... (swapping trashes performance, due to the fact that a HD is easily a factor of 1000 slower than any RAM).

actually, my old boot drive is 7200 rpm like the new one. the new one is a Western Digital Caviar Black and is known to be a pretty fast drive. next up is to replace the motherboard with one that has SATA II ports...
    Last edited by mcantu; 03-09-2009 at 16:46.
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Talking Re: HUGE Improvement in Turn Time!

Hmm, well I recently upgraded to 4GB RAM from 1 and to open up EB it no take me about 10 seconds. The battles are much better too, although the campaign map runs on the same, unchanged speed.

As for my turns, they were always 5 seconds, even with my 1 GB RAM and 2.43 gHz processor.

I have recently upgraded my RAM from 1 to 2 GB.
    Better battles, generally better performance, considerably reduced frequency of CTD's (almost none now). My turns still take some time, though.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

I have 4Gb RAM, and turn times on BI are around 30 seconds.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence