Thread: My thoughts on Empire: Total War, some questions, and help with naval tactics.

Default My thoughts on Empire: Total War, some questions, and help with naval tactics.

Ok Empire: Total War, pretty impressed so far. I love how the campaign map no longer has "rebels", but a lot of minor nations. The new technology, theaters... EVERYTHING new in the Grand Campaign is a MUST stay for me. Battle AI is pretty good, I usually win on expert or hard difficulty, however usually the AI makes sound decisions and I lose occasionally. Sometimes the battle AI however is really stupid, and bugs show up occasionally. The Road to Independence was really boring and filled with bugs... I was starting to hate E:TW playing the RtI. Campaign AI isn't really cutting it for me so far... playing a Maratha Campaign on H/H and so far the Mughal Empire was somewhat aggressive in the beginning, but so far they feel too passive. Just conquering Mughal region capitals one by one. I'm gonna try another campaign next on VH/H.

BTW the reason I no longer play on expert battle difficulty, is because units have increased stats. I tried this in a custom battle. One on one line infantry unites with the exact stats, and I was soundly beaten.

Some questions...
    Is there friendly fire?
    I usually make 2-3 lines of infantry (depending on how many regiments I have) and I always kept all of them on "fire at will". I usually win on hard difficulty like this, but I noticed the first line would take severe casualties, and I suspected that the second line might be shooting into the first line's back. So, I tried another battle, this time with only the first line "firing at will", and I soundly lost the battle. I was planning for the first line to engage, and the second line to act as reserves, or to reinforce flanks. Both lines took many casualties. Don't tell me the AI can target the second line even with a first line of infantry regiments in front of them??!

Whats the point of bayonets?
    Playing the Maratha Campaign, up to about 20 turns, I never researched the plug bayonet... since my infantry could engage in melee and also return to shooting, I assumed they already had RING bayonets. This was not the case however. Once I take my next turn in my campaign, the plug bayonet technology will be finished researching with. So why have bayonets? I was doing fine without them! Do bayonets include melee bonuses or bonuses against cavalry?

Duels?
    Now the Maratha faction has researchers that don't duel other researchers... however I remember in the RtI campaign, I selected a "gentleman", (not knowing what they do) and he lost a duel to a British gentleman, and my gentleman returned to a college afterward... Can gentleman possibly die when partaking in a duel?

Finally... Naval tactics?
    I don't know any tactics to use in naval tactics... Can someone please clue me in on how I should fight naval battles?
    What I would do, is start with my ships in a horizontal line with the starboard side facing the enemy. Then I would sail toward where the wind is blowing, and I would just order some broad sides... Not knowing really what to do. It ends up really messy, and the AI usually murders me in naval battles.

All help is appreciated.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Default Re: My thoughts on Empire: Total War, some questions, and help with naval tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Grace View Post
    Some questions...
    Is there friendly fire?
    Oh boy yes. You can easily kill hundreds of your own men with artillery if you aren't careful.

Playing the Maratha Campaign, up to about 20 turns, I never researched the plug bayonet... since my infantry could engage in melee and also return to shooting, I assumed they already had RING bayonets. This was not the case however. Once I take my next turn in my campaign, the plug bayonet technology will be finished researching with. So why have bayonets? I was doing fine without them! Do bayonets include melee bonuses or bonuses against cavalry?
    You will be essentially useless in melee without bayonets (when fighting an opponent with them) Once you have ring or socket boayonets your troops will be much more effective in combat, especially against cavalry. If you fought a teched up Euro army without bayonets on your side you will probably lose.

Duels?
    Now the Maratha faction has researchers that don't duel other researchers... however I remember in the RtI campaign, I selected a "gentleman", (not knowing what they do) and he lost a duel to a British gentleman, and my gentleman returned to a college afterward... Can gentleman possibly die when partaking in a duel?
    Yes they can, doesn't always happen though.

Finally... Naval tactics?
    I don't know any tactics to use in naval tactics... Can someone please clue me in on how I should fight naval battles?
    What I would do, is start with my ships in a horizontal line with the starboard side facing the enemy. Then I would sail toward where the wind is blowing, and I would just order some broad sides... Not knowing really what to do. It ends up really messy, and the AI usually murders me in naval battles.

All help is appreciated.
    Group all your ships. Toggle their formation into line abrest, essentially a big long line. Now when you select the group and tell them to move they will follow the lead ship in a kind of conga line. It makes handling them much easier. Never use broadsides, they are innacurate and pretty much useless outside of very specific situations. Just let your ships fire at will and you will be fine .
    Last edited by Sir Beane; 03-09-2009 at 20:27.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My thoughts on Empire: Total War, some questions, and help with naval tactics.

Everything. Makes your melee ++++++++, especially against horses to the point that horses are basically useless in melee.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Thumbs up Re: My thoughts on Empire: Total War, some questions, and help with naval tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    Oh boy yes. You can easily kill hundreds of your own men with artillery if you aren't careful.

You will be essentially useless in melee without bayonets (when fighting an opponent with them) Once you have ring or socket boayonets your troops will be much more effective in combat, especially against cavalry. If you fought a teched up Euro army without bayonets on your side you will probably lose.

Quote Originally Posted by TiberiusBeskar View Post
    Everything. Makes your melee ++++++++, especially against horses to the point that horses are basically useless in melee.

Group all your ships. Toggle their formation into line abrest, essentially a big long line. Now when you select the group and tell them to move they will follow the lead ship in a kind of conga line. It makes handling them much easier. Never use broadsides, they are innacurate and pretty much useless outside of very specific situations. Just let your ships fire at will and you will be fine .
    @First Quote: Oh I knew that, I meant is there friendly fire when a infantry regiment fires behind another infantry regiment. Also, I still need to know... can the AI really target my second line of infantry, even though I have my first line in front?

@Second Quote(s):lol I KNOW that bayonets are extremely useful in the age of gunpowder warfare... just wasn't as apparent to me as in the game. Thanks, I'll find out when my plug bayos are done being researched.

Yes they can, doesn't always happen though.

@Naval Tactics quote: So pretty much keep them in line and navigate them? Care to elaborate?

Thanks for the help, really appreciated.