Thread: Quick question about secondary weapons for cavalry.

Default Quick question about secondary weapons for cavalry.

When pursuing fleeing enemies my cavalry always switch to primary weapons, ie spears, which, I feel, strongly reduce their effectiveness. They do it even if I alt-attack. Is there any way to make cavalry to use secondary weapon when chasing rioted romans, or is it hard-coded?

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Default Re: Quick question about secondary weapons for cavalry.

When it says, "pursuing" it means that they will hit the running enemies and do a bunch of damage, then start sucking.

You can try moving your cavalry ahead of them, then doing a quick turn and getting a few more guys impaled on their spears before it is sword time.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

No, what I mean is when the enemy is routed, cavalry refuse to hit them with swords. As soon as enemy breakes, cavalry changes to slow spears and would not go in "sword time" under any circumstances.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Eh, just keep them on if the battle has ended.

If its mid-battle, there's no point in chasing down routing enemies when you could rout the rest with that cavalry
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

I disagree, Super Market; sometimes you really want that fleeing unit to stay dead (e.g. when it's an enemy FM, or other elite).

As for your problem, Zing, I'm not sure. I recall a similar annoying problem occurring far too frequently in M2; cavalry ordered after fleeing enemies (either attacking or overrunning) would seldom seem to switch to couched lances, in fact, almost always preferred to use swords, even when charging at full tilt towards a stationary target. Worse, they would charge with lances ready, only to stutter and grab for their swords just moments before what would have been impact. ANNOYING!

...but that's not much help. Sorry :(
    "The pathfinding around town squares is twenty different kinds of horrible."Watchman

Blog Entries

Its impossible to switch... That is why heavy cavallery sucks so much and fleeing generals nearly get away all the time.
    You should use light cavallery like the numidians, spanish or curepos(The light gallic ones).
    They kill far more enemies. Might be their formation or their short spears I dont know.
    I had an fleeing ptolmaei general today who refused to die, chased and surrounded by 4 units of heavy cavallery after fighting them alone for 3minuits and he just didnt die... Man I hate those generals ...

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

I don't think it matters too much. Routing units basically just die when touched by a chasing cavalry unit. Either way, there's nothing that can be done, game engine hardcoding.

In this aspects the M2TW engine is light years ahead. It was fun to watch my Knights swing their swords at the routing rabble, killing them all instantly. I hope EB capitalizes into an advantage for all cavalry.

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos ton Ellenon View Post
    In this aspects the M2TW engine is light years ahead. It was fun to watch my Knights swing their swords at the routing rabble, killing them all instantly. I hope EB capitalizes into an advantage for all cavalry.
    Are we thinking of the same game?
    "The pathfinding around town squares is twenty different kinds of horrible."Watchman

Huh?

I use cavalry primarly armed with overhand spears or (better yet) swords, for chasing routers. All of these guys double as skirmishers early in the fight too:

My favorites:
    Daha Rog Baexdzhyn Aefsad (Dahae Skirmisher Cavalry, armed with axes, but kind of pricey)
    Hippakontistai (Hellenic Skirmisher Cavalry, with armour piercing swords, [the kopis right?])
    Hippeis Tarantinoi (Tarantine Elite Cavalry)
    Marholeudiz Wolhiskoz (Celto-Germanic Cavalry, armed with longswords)

I believe they have a faster "attack rate" or something than the lance armed guys. This and other values rely less on charges and more on the weapon itself.
    ...at least put some spikes in your club for goodness sake!

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos ton Ellenon View Post
    Huh?
    Read my earlier post!

In my experience, cavalry in M2 are nowhere near as well-behaved as you describe, to the point where my armies have become almost exclusively infantry and missile troops: the only cavalry units being the occasional FM and maybe a unit of lights to threaten AI missiles and artillery (I still try to use cavalry to charge/run down, but they're not effective as I would like... to put it mildly)

Quote Originally Posted by soup_alex View Post
    I still try to use cavalry to charge/run down, but they're not effective as I would like... to put it mildly
    Cavalry in M2TW are tactical nukes...
    Last edited by bovi; 03-12-2009 at 16:46.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking