Thread: Do you play by the "Rules"?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Do you play by the "Rules"?

By that I mean do you play by the rules of diplomacy? I.e. not attacking until you have sufficient reason to e.g. Insults/a murder/a war of succession, and with bonus points manipulating third parties to your advantage?

Default Re: Do you play by the "Rules"?

Well as France I invaded Wittenburg with little reason besides expansion. Savoy and Austria then declared war and I invaded the first. After this point I invaded nations based upon them declaring war.

No

Just strike whenever I want
    My Balloons:

Playing as the Republiek der Zeven Verenigde Nederlanden

The actual UP flag

I try to roleplay within reasonable limits.
    "The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Blog Entries

Gah! How can you claim to be historic if you just march around stealing stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    I know how you feel Subotan, I can't stand taking unrealistic amounts of territory, it just does not feel right. I sometimes find it hard to play campaigns, as they will suggest that you take various regions, but I often just do as I please and try to stay realistic. I feel almost physically sick seeing a nation like Sweden control all of Europe, it is just wrong, so so wrong.

Blog Entries

Likewise, I aim for when I start a Prussia campaign to go after Germany first, and unifiy that, either through alliances or conquest.

Well then I'll better not show a screen of my UP campaign(Flanders, France, Elsace, Spain, Portugal, Savoy, Lombardy, Genua, Italy & Würtemberg) and not to mention my possesions in America and India
    My Balloons:

Playing as the Republiek der Zeven Verenigde Nederlanden

The actual UP flag

No, it's a game. If I want history, I'll go to wikipedia.

What people did in history isn't always the best move. In fact, it's usually the opposite.
    Last edited by andrewt; 03-09-2009 at 23:44.

Blog Entries

Well, countries had historical policies. E.g., you'd never see the Dutch swarming across the Alps like bees out of a hive, They were much more content to build a colonial and trading Empire.

I largely try to. I started a campaign as Prussia. Spent 10 years insulting Poland, demanding the territory between my two countries, stacked troops on the borders, threatening, etc. Diplomatic relations absolutely plummeted, but they didn't attack me. So I decided to take the country anyways. This drew Saxony and Courland in, which made a great excuse for expanding. After getting the territory from Poland that I wanted, I made peace with them. Now I'm going to try and start a war with Austria by insulting them, and assassinating their politicians. Hopefully GB doesn't help them out too much...

I don't play for history. But I do try to play "realistically." Realistically, Prussia could/would not have taken over half of Europe in 15 years, so I'm not going to try to.
    Last edited by Eusebius86; 03-09-2009 at 23:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    When did they claim to be historic?

Anyways I don't, I'm not a role player. However I did think it was cool when I controlled the eastern us at Britain and did stop, and think that me taking Madrid and Paris made the map look kinda...wrong. I guess whilst it do think about it, it doesn't stop me. The French and Spanish have been bugging me for 50 years, I want their capitals

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was going to role play as a Netherlands trade empire, but thanks to the new bug, it just ruined that game experience for me. I would have to restart this game again.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

It depend of the faction i play.
    With Prussia i don't play by the rules
    With France i play by the rules
    With UK i play by the rules, most of the time...

I found out that playing a diplomatic game in Europe with France as many advantage: it helped secure alliance with All Germans OPM (except Savoy, they declared war on me, but they are more "Italian" than German, strike that they are French.)and when Austria declare war for the succession of the throne all Germans OPM + Prussia (my good tech partner) sided with me, so my border were secure and i could sent my army to help my fellow German allies and impose a quick peace to Austria. Sadly i had to declare war on Poland because they had refused all alliance (even if i had send a lot of gifts) and they attacked Prussia. Since I was so well liked in Europe (the Dutch even ask me for an alliance!) I could focus on strengthening my position in America and be ready when the UK try something. I've trashed the pirate and i have quite a few trade ship around the globe. I've only declare war to the Amerindian nation i needed territories because of a mission (i treated that as a casus belli), so the Huron and Plain nation are my American Allies, I wish The USA could pop up to so and had them to my long allies list.

I'm playing for the prestige goal and i'm in the lead far in the lead with a high tech and a massive fleet. Having steady peace mean lots of income cash and low army upkeep. Lots of cash mean you can buy tech and sent gifts that translate to more allies.
    I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends. ---Abraham Lincoln