Thread: Fun Topic [Who would you like to be conquered by?]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fun Topic [Who would you like to be conquered by?]

Ok. If you had no choice but to be conquered by an empire/kingdom, which empire would you want to be conquered by. Also which empire would you least want to be conquered by. Please explain your answers.

If I had no choice but to be conquered it would be pre-Islamic Iran ( Persians Parthians) Seems to me they respected the customes and cultures of people.

The least would be the Seljuks/Ottomans. I just dont think I would be happy to see my children given off as a Dervish tax to the Sultan.
    Last edited by artavazd; 03-10-2009 at 08:58.

Default AW: Fun Topic

Quote Originally Posted by artavazd View Post
    Also which empire would you least want to be conquered by.
    Thats easy, Romanoi. Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam

And about the one that I want to be conquered by, something Hellenic. Perhaps by Arche Seleukeia or Ptolemaioi. But my favourite faction would be Makedonia.
    PS. I always play KH, so I want to stay Hellenic.
    Last edited by Zett; 03-10-2009 at 12:06.

Balloon Count: 4

My Greek Nobles:
    from satalexton, his name is Plato
    from satalexton, his name is Sōkrátēs
    from satalexton, his nam is Aristotélēs

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Default Re: AW: Fun Topic

Wouldn't want to be qonqueed by: Celtic/Germanic factions. Why? I believe it's obvious...
    Would want to be conqured by: The Koinon maybe, or some other Greek faction. Especially AS or Ptolemaioi, because I would probably be offered a high position because of my Greek heritge. Plus, I favour the Greek way of life.

Maion
    ~Maion

Default Re: Fun Topic

Would want to be conquered by: Romani. Usually they allowed the local aristocracy to remain ruling; generally didn´t impose their culture and last, but no least, the graeco-roman empire lasted the longer.
    If not the romans, one of the Hellenes
    Woundn´t want to be conquered by: Barbarians

Quote Originally Posted by Maion Maroneios View Post
    Wouldn't want to be qonqueed by: Celtic/Germanic factions. Why? I believe it's obvious...
    Soap?

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tollheit View Post
    Soap?
    Ha-ha Tollheit

Maion
    ~Maion

Quote Originally Posted by Tollheit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maion Maroneios View Post
    Soap?

A just question. The Celts were not as barbarious as the Roman and Greek historians like to tell us.

I would not wanna be conquered by Carthage, since I would not like to have to sacrifice my babies in bad times ^^

I would want to be conquered by Rome or KH nonetheless, for me it would be the perfect opportunity to study them further ^^
    Last edited by SwissBarbar; 03-11-2009 at 15:44.
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Would want to be conquered by: Achaemenid/Sassanid Iran, maybe Pontos and some Greek states.

Wouldn't want to be conquered by: Mongols, Huns and Arche Seleukeia.
    Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Have the strength of Arnold Schwarzenegger, the voice of Billy Mays and the ability to produce bull**** at a moments notice and you can be the leader of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Zett View Post
    Thats easy, Romanoi. Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam

And about the one that I want to be conquered by, something Hellenic. Perhaps by Arche Seleukeia or Ptolemaioi. But my favourite faction would be Makedonia.
    PS. I always play KH, so I want to stay Hellenic.
    Dont forget, Im not asking which historical culture you like today. Dont think of it as looking through the eyes of a 21st century person. Think of it you being a simple person in that era. Now you say you would want to be conquered by something Hellenic. That would be nice if you yourself were Hellenic. If you were not Hellenic it wouldnt be that nice being conquered by a Hellenic empire. Remember the spread of Hellenistic ideas and customs? Well if you didnt want to give up your own all of those Hellenisitc customs would be forced on you, or you would just be dealt with. Anyways Im enjoying reading peoples responses. Keep them coming.

Something Witty Goes Here Member Zeibek's Avatar

The least would be the Seljuks/Ottomans. I just dont think I would be happy to see my children given off as a Dervish tax to the Sultan.
    Actually it's called Devşirme... And the Ottomans weren't that bad governors, they were far more tolerant of other religions than most regimes in history, especially when compared to their contemporaries. Also boys levied by devşirme ended up in very high positions in the court, and by the 1500s wielded more influence than the Turkic nobility. BTW Unlike my name might suggest I'm not actually Turkish so there's no nationalism involved in this or anything...

Would want to be conquered by: Probably Achaemenid Persia, they were very tolerant of their subjects' customs, and often allowed vanquished kings to become members of the Royal court (think Croesus of Lydia).

Wouldn't want to be conquered by: Rome or any other power that is likely to eradicate my own cultural identity through bribery and clever policies.

A red 'bloon for a red sig from Aemilius Paulus

Quote Originally Posted by Zeibek View Post
    Actually it's called Devşirme... And the Ottomans weren't that bad governors, they were far more tolerant of other religions than most regimes in history, especially when compared to their contemporaries. Also boys levied by devşirme ended up in very high positions in the court, and by the 1500s wielded more influence than the Turkic nobility. BTW Unlike my name might suggest I'm not actually Turkish so there's no nationalism involved in this or anything...
    Would want to be conquered by: Probably Achaemenid Persia, they were very tolerant of their subjects' customs, and often allowed vanquished kings to become members of the Royal court (think Croesus of Lydia).

Wouldn't want to be conquered by: Rome or any other power that is likely to eradicate my own cultural identity through bribery and clever policies.
    Well the issue isnt how a high position the boys ended up as, the issue is they were stolen from their parents, and raised with foreign customs and a foreign religion. Thus becoming Turkified. Now imagine yourself being a non Muslim subject of the Ottomans and having your kids stolen from you. Would you care if your son would become someone in a high position later on? I wont. Also according to Ottoman law, inorder for a witness to be consider a witness they had to be Muslim. So once again imagine you are a non Muslim subject of the Ottomans, and a crime was commited toward you. If there are no Muslim witnesses every other witnesses has no worth. Very few people who were under the yoke of Ottomans have pleasant thoughts about it. Im not just talking about Non Muslim subjects either. Arabs (Syrians, Iraqis ect.) who were under Ottoman yoke hardly have pleasant thoughts either.
    Last edited by artavazd; 03-10-2009 at 20:00.

Being conquered by Rome is actually very good. Most areas of the world at that time had at best rudimentary water supply and sanitation systems all across the board. Which means that a Romanized people would likely have to face a bad governor sometimes, but would get fancy acqueducts providing water 24/7 (a luxury even for recent standards), and all sorts of luxury and marble buildings (nothing beats high civilization ), plus protection from the legions. It's one of the reasons why everything started to crumble when the centralized defense began to crumble: people were too comfortable under the Pax Romana to ever grasp of bearing arms.

I would never like to be conquered by any barbarian people. Especially the Sweboz.

I don't know. Maybe Nazi Germany

I'd rather not be conquered at all; but if I had a choice in the matter I'd probably go with Achaemenid Persia. Or the Fatimid Caliphate.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    I don't know. Maybe Nazi Germany

I'd rather not be conquered at all; but if I had a choice in the matter I'd probably go with Achaemenid Persia. Or the Fatimid Caliphate.

That's interesting - I wouldn't mind being conquered by Soviet Russia. Unless they interfeared with German super-efficiency, of course. But that's what they were all about, so - yea, and I'd want full access to all Careers, based upon fitness, diligence and capability (modern German armed forces motto). Meaning no anti-german racism or political bias blocking careers.
    According to the official ethics, it was the best state so far - although sadly corrupt bureaucrats and faked heroes undermined what Marx and Lenin had in mind.
    New Mother Russia! Red stars for the win!! Smite all enemies of equality and hard work with the apocalyptic hammer of your superior Forces! Cut them down with your sickle, the mighty AK74!! T90!! MIG29!! MilMi24!! YEAAAA...

I would fight to the death (theirs or mine) to resist conquest by any religion-based state.
    Or any state that would attempt to even in the slightest way interfere with German identity.

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Ok. If you had no choice but to be conquered by an empire/kingdom, which empire would you want to be conquered by. Also which empire would you least want to be conquered by. Please explain your answers.

If I had no choice but to be conquered it would be pre-Islamic Iran ( Persians Parthians) Seems to me they respected the customes and cultures of people.

If I were to be conquered, I prefer to be so under an Arab or sabaic power, and if unavailable, the achaemenids. I'm half Arab, and culturally a full Arab, so defeat wouldn't be as bad, as really there wouldn't be any dramatic changes in what happens, and the persians are kind. either way, I would waste no time trying to either: 1) revolt and throw off the new rulers, or 2) arrange a deal to make me a client king (preffered with persians)

least so? anybody else..I DO NOT care who they are

and what's so bad about becoming a dervish? I want me children to have a position of power, whether in the janissary corps or the beaurocracy*.

*I know I know, its cruel, but weighing it together, its not as bad as it could be. they could have easily end up like Mongol slaves
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 03-11-2009 at 05:14.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    If I were to be conquered, I prefer to be so under an Arab or sabaic power, and if unavailable, the achaemenids. I'm half Arab, and culturally a full Arab, so defeat wouldn't be as bad, as really there wouldn't be any dramatic changes in what happens, and the persians are kind. either way, I would waste no time trying to either: 1) revolt and throw off the new rulers, or 2) arrange a deal to make me a client king (preffered with persians)

least so? anybody else..I DO NOT care who they are

and what's so bad about becoming a dervish? I want me children to have a position of power, whether in the janissary corps or the beaurocracy*.

*I know I know, its cruel, but weighing it together, its not as bad as it could be. they could have easily end up like Mongol slaves
    The issue is not the position of power. The issue is your child will be taken away from you and raised as a foreigner. The cultures and customs that you have, which will be passed down to your child will be cut off. I guess its a matter of preference, but for me those things are dear, and I wont care how much power my child will have. In many cases those same kids who became Janissarys were used against their own people. Now thats irony

Tudhaliya,
    I am seriously awed by the crystal-clear logic structure and on-the-mark accuracy of your post...
    Thank you for contributing this.

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtmeister View Post
    Tudhaliya,
    I am seriously awed by the crystal-clear logic structure and on-the-mark accuracy of your post...
    Thank you for contributing this.
    I second that.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

The issue is not the position of power. The issue is your child will be taken away from you and raised as a foreigner. The cultures and customs that you have, which will be passed down to your child will be cut off. I guess its a matter of preference, but for me those things are dear, and I wont care how much power my child will have. In many cases those same kids who became Janissarys were used against their own people. Now thats irony
    true that.

@tudhaliya: I third Athanaric and nachtmeister.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 03-11-2009 at 15:07.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

-aside-
    I propose that someone with more authority/seniority here give tudhaliya a balloon.

Blog Entries

I think the point is that as soon as every part of the ottoman empire had the chance to get independency they used it. Nobody wanted to stay inside the empire cuase it had nothing to offer.
    But in an earlier timeframe it was probably even worse with the turks. They finally destroyed antiochia, slaughtered cypriotes like no other, broke every peace treaty with other powers and where feared by everyone. But even worse, the rule of the ottoman empire in most of the islamic world led to its downfall and stop of technological inventions.
    But anyway I would probably prefere them to mongols
    They managed to destroy most of the biggest and prosperous cities in the world.
    In the EB timeframe it would be probably the romans.

Default Re: Fun Topic [Who would you like to be conquered by?]

I suppose being conquered by anyone would be pretty bad. Many people have said Rome, but Romans had a tendency to be pretty rough on the vanquished in certain situations. Crusifiction or decimation can be nasty punishments. I suppose I wouldn't mind being conquered by Rome if I survived it. Good public works, baths, roads, etc. Laws, pretty accepting of religion and culture. I would not want to be conquered by the Germanic peoples. Just look at the dark ages.
    "Insipientis est dicere, Non putarvm."

"It is the part of a fool to say, I should not have thought."
    -Pvblivs Cornelivs Scipio Africanvs

Lives: Pvblivs Cornelivs Scipio (A Romani AAR)
    Lives: Alkyoneus Argeades (A Makedonian AAR)