Thread: Population =/= taxation?

Default Population =/= taxation?

I've noticed that the percentage tax as stated in the province's information screen only gets the cash from the stated province wealth; population seems to not be counted at all or serve any real purpose. This makes France's huge population of 23 million seems useless; at the start of the game on normal tax settings Alsace-Lorraine earns almost half as much as France.

This results in France being much less powerful than they were historically given that one of their main strengths was their huge population advantage over everybody else. Wonder if there's any purpose to the stated population rather than being for show. Towns grow according to growth rate and not population anyway.

Default Re: Population =/= taxation?

more pop = more towns popping up in provinces, more towns = more possiblity of wealth generating buildings = more wealth = more tax

so they are related all be it abstractly i also believe the population is taxed as well as the wealth but i will have to check that

Cheers Knoddy
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

Is it something to do with classes? Ie, you only tax the nobility and middle classes (at least those are the only options you get to adjust), whereas the vast bulk of your population is the unwashed lower class.

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

As France I had 112 million inhabitants and the same amount of wealth as England with 25 million inhabitants. So more towns is more wealth because of more population isn't correct.
    Tosa Inu

It would be nice to know what role population plays in the game. I have been trying to figure out ETWs game mechanics since I bought it. Everything that I know about how the game works was done through trail and error. Does anyone else hate not knowing what the heck they are doing. I am very upset because it took me hours to learn the game when it could have just taken me minutes of reading a decent manual or even a pdf for godsake!!!

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fridgebadger View Post
    Is it something to do with classes? Ie, you only tax the nobility and middle classes (at least those are the only options you get to adjust), whereas the vast bulk of your population is the unwashed lower class.
    It is the bourgeoisie and the proletariat, there is no middle classes in the game.

If you think of it this way, the tax = produced wealth of the land anyway. If you tax people, regardless of population, you can only get that wealth out of them, they don't magically have extra wealth due to being bigger numbers. It could simply be the case of larger population and lower wealth held between them compared to other areas.
    Last edited by Beskar; 03-10-2009 at 17:16.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiseric View Post
    It would be nice to know what role population plays in the game. I have been trying to figure out ETWs game mechanics since I bought it. Everything that I know about how the game works was done through trail and error. Does anyone else hate not knowing what the heck they are doing. I am very upset because it took me hours to learn the game when it could have just taken me minutes of reading a decent manual or even a pdf for godsake!!!
    It takes hours anyway to trying understand the game. Reading a manual only says things such as "you can capture provinces with an army! or by trade!".
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by TiberiusBeskar View Post
    It takes hours anyway to trying understand the game. Reading a manual only says things such as "you can capture provinces with an army! or by trade!".

LOL, I know. Its driving me nuts. At least now I got through most of the learning. Still have questions on a lot of things.

I believe but am not sure of this....I think population makes your weaver/smith towns more profitable. I don't think it is a direct relationship but provicnes with higher populations seem to generate more wealth from their Wealth generating towns (workshops I think they are called)

I imagine there must be some cap which is probably why England and France show the same profit, however, a smith in a location like Finland seems to add less wealth then a smith in Sweeden (which has a higher population).

So I think Population has some impact on taxes but it is indirectly through wealth generation. Additionally, I bet this is capped at a max benfit for each building type.

Quote Originally Posted by DEY123 View Post
    I believe but am not sure of this....I think population makes your weaver/smith towns more profitable. I don't think it is a direct relationship but provicnes with higher populations seem to generate more wealth from their Wealth generating towns (workshops I think they are called)

I imagine there must be some cap which is probably why England and France show the same profit, however, a smith in a location like Finland seems to add less wealth then a smith in Sweeden (which has a higher population).

So I think Population has some impact on taxes but it is indirectly through wealth generation. Additionally, I bet this is capped at a max benfit for each building type.

I have seen this as well but wasn't sure if it was related to pop. It would be really cool if somthing in this game was related to population. It is always nice to be rewarded for being a good steward. Grow your population, grow your income.