Thread: Conquest and rebellion

Default Conquest and rebellion

I have a couple of questions which have arisen during my VH/H Austria campaign, I was wondering if anyone knows the answer:

Is there any equivalent of sacking income anymore when you conquer a province? As far as I can tell there isn't, which means it will take a lot longer for conquering territory to provide a return on the investment, especially if the province needs to be kept tax-exempt to maintain order. As a corollary, do raiding towns and shipping lanes actually provide you with income as the advisor suggests, or is the value of this purely in denying funds to your enemies?

Secondly, I have recently captured Warsaw from Poland-Lithuania, but it is seething with unrest and strikes and I fear a revolt is imminent. If I deliberately allow the revolt to occur sooner rather than later, and crush the rebels, will the unrest in the province be dampened, or will my harsh tactics only incense the populous further?

Either way, it seems like taking and consolidating territory in this game is going to be a lot harder than in previous installments, which I suppose is as it should be.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Default Re: Conquest and rebellion

Well, people are more civilised now, and although there will be some civilian casualties, no one is going to murder half the city. That would be diplomatic hell.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

As for your Poland issue, Garrison troops in the capital and build any government structures if they are available. It should put down the rebellion. If they form into an army, they'll most likely take your capital in which case you'll just have to annihilate them at the first engadgment or else they will continue to harass you.

Post Re: Conquest and rebellion

To add to therifleman's post, once you do annihilate the rebels in battle, you'll get extra repression points under the label of "military crackdown," which should help maintain order while you work on constructing buildings to appease the mob.

I'm pretty far into my Austria game, for the most part Poland, former Ottoman and Russian territories will rebel quite heavily. The easiest way to repress this is to build alot of churches and make them catholic (Since they don't start off as such).

If you do not be prepared to fight rebels in warsaw, modavia, and Croatia as the years go on (Who all have slav loyalities)

As you go in the game your leader will gain unpopular traits if you keep a king. The longer you go the harder it will be to prevent rebellion.

Even when rebellion does occur it rarely has much muscle behind it. Just make sure you hit them quick, and keep all your cities decently defended.

you are better off choosing which provinces to capture instead of doing it indiscriminately. resource rich provinces still give u icnome even without any tax and can pay quite handsomely.
    "Forgiveness is between them and god, my job is to arrange the meeting"

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    To add to therifleman's post, once you do annihilate the rebels in battle, you'll get extra repression points under the label of "military crackdown," which should help maintain order while you work on constructing buildings to appease the mob.
    That's what I was wondering, thanks.

Time to smoke out the rebellious elements and crush them!

The rebel armies that form are mostly made up of militia (from my experience at least) and can be beaten fairly easily with your invasion force, provided you use the nifty replenish feature immediately after taking the region, or didn't lose that many men in the first place. With larger cities like Warsaw, though, your force may get stuck in the province for a few turns regardless. I always repair the governor building right away and build bawdy houses in really troublesome regions.
    I think it's good that this at least to some extent puts a damper on blitzing.