Thread: Those Techs

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Those Techs

Yep, you know the ones I mean.

As I sit here dreaming of Empire, my copy is lost some where in the mail, luckily I am an Aries, so I don’t need to know anything about a subject to think that I do.

Playing the demo &

Reading your posts and trying to see where it all leads.

There is the Steam Ship, The Rockets, and even primers.

Where is the Puckel Gun? And is there a Ferguson Rifle?

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Default Re: Those Techs

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Yep, you know the ones I mean.

As I sit here dreaming of Empire, my copy is lost some where in the mail, luckily I am an Aries, so I don’t need to know anything about a subject to think that I do.

Playing the demo &

Reading your posts and trying to see where it all leads.

There is the Steam Ship, The Rockets, and even primers.

Where is the Puckel Gun? And is there a Ferguson Rifle?
    Britain gets both the Puckle Gun and Ferguson Rifles as units .

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Now I am drooling!

What other fabulous things are out there?

Mark Twain

Probably my absolute favourite tech from the artillery line has to be Shrapnel Shot. The first time I saw 3 units of experienced 24lb-ers unload a barrage of shrapnel shot against an enemy infantry line, decimating its numbers and instantly routing it, I almost made a mess in my pants

I may just not be positioning them right, but I've found puckle guns to be of very little use. I think you can build them from the 2nd/3rd highest rank of artillery building (don't recall exactly). When I put them front and center in my infantry line, they would kill less than my other artillery units, and wouldn't have near the same morale effect despite having a much higher rate of fire. Perhaps I just need to stick to using one at the flanks and get it experienced up a bit more, in hopes that it will really bring up the accuracy.

Rank Fire in the Infantry lineup is also VERY bread and butter, I usually practically rush for that tech as best I can manage, having one school going pure infantry line techs.

I haven't tried out the steam ships yet, but they have much fewer guns than the main SotL fleet, and when you get them, first rates also become available, so that makes it a bit more of a tossup.

Maybe could take 1 or 2 to try and keep them right on the enemy ship's rudder, but my naval micro just isn't that good yet.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The big ones, if you ask me, are the base ones. Fire by rank, square formation, a decent bayonet, and exploding shells can get you by nicely.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Is the range for Howitzers and Mortars longer than for Cannon or only the same?

Indirect fire weapons have some other advantages, like the exploding shells, but being able to fire over troops seems a bigie!

Mark Twain

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Range is the same. The main advantage is going to when fighting near buildings and cover, where the howitzers can tower their shot over cover while the regular cannons cannot. Sort of a big thing, though.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.