Thread: lingering problem (the game wouldn't start)

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Default lingering problem (the game wouldn't start)

I have a recurring problem with EB 1.2. The game just wouldn't start.

To be more precise, the process goes as follows.

1. I click on the EB 1.2 icon and nothing happens...
    2. I can see rtw.exe running in my processes list in the task manager window. However, the program does not seem to do anything (at least on the screen).
    3. I kill the process after a few minutes (RTW does not appear in the running programs window; so, the only way to get rid of it that I know is to kill the bugger in the processes list).
    4. I repeat 1, 2, & 3...
    5. I repeat 1, 2, & 3...
    6. I repeat 1, 2, & 3...

at some point though, upon completing 1, the RTW red starting pic appears on the screen and everything follows as it should happen (starting the game).

Any ideas for what would be causing this or how it could be fixed. It's just annoying and time consuming.

By the way, my HD is regularly defragmented.

Default Re: lingering problem (the game wouldn't start)

No idea.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Thumbs down Re: lingering problem (the game wouldn't start)

The same exact thing is happening to me, however I have not even been able to play the mod once. This has proven to waste so much of my time that unless the problem is fixed and I actually get to play the game you can be sure I will recommend to everyone I know not to download this since it is not worth the agita of watching the loading screen linger while nothing happens.

That's a different matter, it's consistent in your case. I'm pretty sure you will be helped by following the suggestions in the validation post.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Well, i switched to using alexander's .exe with EB 1.2 and the problem disappeared. Now the game loads like a charm.

Heh, now that i think of it: maybe my RTW CD was the cause of the original problem (however, no message about a CD not being in the bay/being unreadable appeared). Alexander's .exe does not need any CD to run.

Anyway, with alex.exe the game starts up fine. The erratic problem was specific to RTW.exe.

That's great, enjoy the mod .

================
    ================