Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any link to the word Romantic and Romans?

Default Any link to the word Romantic and Romans?

Hi guys,

Bit of a strange question but a bit bored currently...

So is there any cultural or historical link to the word romantic and the roman world in general

Default Re: Any link to the word Romantic and Romans?

Yes, briefly a romantic language is one derived from latin,Roman; however if you mean romantic as in love or the art movement in Europe in the XVII century I have no idea.

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

Yeah I mean the love....

Its always about the love

Well, a thought arose in my head after thinking of romanticism, that is what modern languages have taken to describe theyr ideas of love, so no Rome had nothing to do with that, but the root of the word. (I'm not entyrely shure of what i said, It's just a connect the dots kinda thing)

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν Member tsidneku's Avatar

I don't know, but if you're looking for some sort of etymological trace back to the Classical Latin that the Romans used, I don't think you will find it. It will come from some sort of proto-Gallic or Medieval Latin variant of Romanus/a/um or Romanus, i in Classical Latin. The meaning of many words twist and change when transliterated into a new tongue.
    Last edited by tsidneku; 03-11-2009 at 00:52.

From the wikipedia Romance Languages artical.
    The term "Romance" comes from the Vulgar Latin adverb romanice, derived from Romanicus: for instance, in the expression romanice loqui, "to speak in Roman" (that is, the Latin vernacular), contrasted with latine loqui, "to speak in Latin" (Medieval Latin, the conservative version of the language used in writing and formal contexts or as a lingua franca), and with barbarice loqui, "to speak in Barbarian" (the non-Latin languages of the peoples that conquered the Roman Empire).[1] From this adverb the noun romance originated, which applied initially to anything written romanice, or "in the Roman vernacular".

The word romance with the modern sense of romance novel or love affair has the same origin. In the medieval literature of Western Europe, serious writing was usually in Latin, while popular tales, often focusing on love, were composed in the vernacular and came to be called "romances".
    So i guess it does come from the word roman after all.
    Last edited by bobbin; 03-11-2009 at 00:55.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Yes, it has to do with Medieval Epic and Gests, two types of literature originally written in Latin. Later, they were written in French and Italian, and because the Medieval Scholars thought the Romans didn't actually speak Latin as a Vernacular they were also reffered to as "Romance" (Dante thought Vergil spoke Lombard, for example).

At the same time the content of many of these stories was Troy, and therefore it was "Roman".
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Yes, briefly a romantic language is one derived from latin,Roman
    So that's why they say French is the language of love... because it's derived from Latin.
    You mixed up the terms "romanic" and "romantic".

Romanticism, the movement in literature and art had the intention to move away from the Cassical tradition of art and literature of Antiquity and focus on the traditions of their own culture, thus focussing more on Medieval art and literature. Romanticism was a counter-movement to Classicism which focused on art and literature of Antiquity. bobbin already quoted on the difference between Latin and Romantic language in Medieval writing; as Latin writings focused on the Graeco-Roman tradition, the Romanticists identified Romantic writings with a literary tradition genuine to (Medieval) European cultures and thus focused on them and saw themselves in this tradition.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
    "Dahae always ride single file to hid their numbers, these tracks are side by side. And these arrow wounds, too accurate for Dahae, only Pahlavi Zradha Shivatir are so precise..."
    <-- My "From Basileion to Arche - A Makedonian AAR" Memorial Balloon.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

There's no such word as Romanic in English, it's properly Romantic to refer to all things of Rome.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

I fail to see that as proof, merely that "romanic" existed earlier as an English word (the M-W online entry for "romanic" notably lacks a definition, just a time, so it could be a real word or something the editors have not removed yet). "Romantic", when used in capital form (and not at the beginning of a sentence), would generally refer to either the art movement or the language set, with "Roman" used for things of or pertaining to Rome the polity/place.
    Balloons:
    From gamegeek2 for my awesome AI expansion -
    From machinor for 'splainin -

It does not lack a definition; its definition is in its cross-reference to the synonymous "Romance".

A cross-reference immediately following a boldface colon is a synonymous cross-reference. It may stand alone as the only definitional matter for an entry or for a sense or subsense of an entry; it may follow an analytical definition; it may be one of two synonymous cross-references separated by a comma:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/help/dictnotes/cross.htm

According to Merriam-Webster, "Romanic" and "Romance" refer to the language set, but "romantic" does not and does not even exist in capital form.
    Last edited by Tollheit; 03-11-2009 at 06:46.

Latin based languages are correctly referred to in English as "Romantic". ie French, Spanish, Catalan, Portuguese, Italian and Romanian? (not 100% on the last one). I can assure you of this as a professional editor. Of course, this being the internet, everone is free to disbelieve me.

French has often been referred to as the "language of love", with many a sentimental heart bewitched by its intimate lyrical sound. I suspect there may well also be an element, in historical English terms, of looking at the concept of romance as "foreign" and especially French - given our relations with the Normans, courtly love and the (overly) dramatic nature of certain horny continental men.

Over and above all the excellent technical and academic arguments already mentioned.

a much more comprehensive link to the OED

http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/entry/...max_to_show=10
    Do you find something funny with the name Biggus Dickus?

in the EB PBeM

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    Dante thought Vergil spoke Lombard, for example.
    This is the castle of my master, Guy de Lombaaaard!

Sorry, couldn't resist when I saw that name/word.
    Last edited by Centrius; 03-11-2009 at 13:16.
    Risus abundat in ore stultorum.

Quote Originally Posted by We shall fwee...Wodewick View Post
    a much more comprehensive link to the OED
    ? I cannot access this without a license.

Languages derived from Latin are referred to either as "Romance languages" or as "Romanic languages" (also "Latin languages" or "Neolatin languages"), not as "Romantic languages". Romanian does belong to that group, however Catalan not IIRC.
    "Dahae always ride single file to hid their numbers, these tracks are side by side. And these arrow wounds, too accurate for Dahae, only Pahlavi Zradha Shivatir are so precise..."

Why wouldn't Catalan belong to that group? I find that hard to believe.
    It sounds very much like a Romance language to my ears.
    Last edited by Tollheit; 03-11-2009 at 15:55.

Catalan is a romance language that formed from a dialect of Occitan.

Yes, you're right, of course. I got Catalan and Basque mixed up.

The word "romance" comes from "Rome". When Europe was controlled by the Romans, the cultured people spoke in latin, but the common people spoke a vulgar language that was a mixture of latin and the local languages. Of this mixture the roman languages are born, like: spanish, italian, french, rumanian, catalan, vasque, portuguese, etc.

They say men fall in love with their eyes and women with their ears. The best love poems are written in a roman language. The words romance and romantic come from that.

Regards.
    Vulnerat omnes, ultima necat

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Talking Re: Any link to the word Romantic and Romans?

Quote Originally Posted by Publio Cornelio Escipión Africano Mayor View Post
    They say men fall in love with their eyes and women with their ears.
    Obviously false after all the research that was done, although women to pay a bit less attention to looks then men do. But that is usually the more virtuous women.

Anyway, interesting how the French speak a Romance language but yet they were Germanic people. They borrowed quite a bit from the Gauls, and an immense amount from the Romans and yet they were basically no different (in the beginning) from the Germans that chose to speak German we know today. I guess we should blame such fate of the Franks on Charlemagne's division of his empire...
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 03-11-2009 at 18:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Publio Cornelio Escipión Africano Mayor View Post
    The word "romance" comes from "Rome". When Europe was controlled by the Romans, the cultured people spoke in latin, but the common people spoke a vulgar language that was a mixture of latin and the local languages. Of this mixture the roman languages are born, like: spanish, italian, french, rumanian, catalan, vasque, portuguese, etc.

They say men fall in love with their eyes and women with their ears. The best love poems are written in a roman language. The words romance and romantic come from that.

Regards.
    Sorry to be an ass, but this comment I would dispute. Different languages, and indeed epochs, lend entirely different qualities to poetry, it is impossible to compare - other than on an entirely subjective basis.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Thumbs up Re: Any link to the word Romantic and Romans?

Yeah, I agree with Cambyses. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder in this case. Although physical beauty, within the same culture, is usually not from the eyes of the beholder but rather rigidly set by the culture. Individual quirks happen, but the general principle is the same. Poetry is very abstract however.

I agree with you guys, but my native language is spanish, so I have to disagree too.

Cheers.
    Vulnerat omnes, ultima necat

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Romantic (love) comes from romance, which is a belief of story that is not based in fact. (Which I find funny, since love isn't based in fact, too.) Romance beliefs/stories are usually of past greatness (usually tied to nationalism and national heroes). I believe the word itself comes from French and is tied to the "romantic" image of the "perfection" that was the Roman Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Tollheit View Post
    ? I cannot access this without a license.
    That's odd, I can. Maybe you can't cause you're not in the UK.
    Do you find something funny with the name Biggus Dickus?

in the EB PBeM

According to The Shorter Oxford Dictionary the origins of romantic are[ f. romant, Romaunt (mod.L. romantia) or ad mod.L. romanticus; hence G.romantisch, F. romantique]

I also states that in 1667 it meant- Of a fabulous or fictitious character; having no foundation in fact.

Other meanings are- Fantastic,extravagant, quixotic; going beyond what is rational or practical (1671) and having a tendency towards romance; readily influenced by the imagination (1690)

I believe the modern rendition of Romantic or Romance has origins in the tales of chivalrous heroes and knights doing fantastic and impossible deeds for their ladies. These tales were usually poetry written in Romance languages (specifically French) and therefore were generally called Romances.

General Aetius
    "It were not best that we should all think alike;it is difference of opinion that makes horse races." Mark Twain
    We super powers have it tough- Calvin and Hobbes
    Balloons collected:and one for been a Calvin and Hobbes fan!

I find this to be an interesting topic and I think Roman and Romance have a bit to do with eachother, which is to say the Roman people, and love. The Roman people may not have had anything to do with love, but I think they like to think they did. For example, in Virgil's work the Aeniad, Aeneis is the son of the goddess Venus, the Roman Aphrodite and eventually leads the Trojans (Romans) to their new home in Italy. Aeneis had a son Iulus who gave name to the long line of the Julii, and it is true that the Julii believed they were descendants of Aeneis and therefore related to Venus. Another interesting fact is that the city Roma spelled backwards is amor, the latin word for love. Hmm. There are examples of love prevailing in Roman stories such as the "rape" of the Sabine women where the Romans basically charm them into being their wives after they capture them by pronouncing their undying love. I think there is a good reason that the word romance is synonomous with love, not merely in relation to the Roman period.
    "Insipientis est dicere, Non putarvm."

"It is the part of a fool to say, I should not have thought."
    -Pvblivs Cornelivs Scipio Africanvs

Lives: Pvblivs Cornelivs Scipio (A Romani AAR)
    Lives: Alkyoneus Argeades (A Makedonian AAR)

Quote Originally Posted by machinor View Post
    Languages derived from Latin are referred to either as "Romance languages" or as "Romanic languages" (also "Latin languages" or "Neolatin languages"), not as "Romantic languages". Romanian does belong to that group, however Catalan not IIRC.
    I'm pretty sure Romanian is a Latin language.
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast