Thread: Former Enemy Now Protectorate Still Enemy of My Allies?

Default Former Enemy Now Protectorate Still Enemy of My Allies?

I go to war against a nation with my allies and being beaten up so bad it offers to become my protectorate. I agree to it but my protectorate is still at war with my allies? WTH? Is this an oversight on CA's part or do you think it was intended? Shouldn't it automatically result in peace treaties with all my allies as well?
    Last edited by BeeSting; 03-11-2009 at 01:02.
    'Hannibal had been the victor at Cannae, and as if the Romans had good cause to boast that you have only strength enough for one blow, and that like a bee that has left its sting you are now inert and powerless.'

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States, Earth

Default Re: Former Enemy Now Protectorate Still Enemy of My Allies?

Did that have any effect on your alliance? Did any of your allies declare war on you?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I'm guessing no, and no, and that this is another example of bad campaign AI, but had to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish View Post
    Did that have any effect on your alliance? Did any of your allies declare war on you?

I'm guessing no, and no, and that this is another example of bad campaign AI, but had to ask.
    No, it didn't have any effect on my allies that came to war on my side. Does this now mean that I have to declare war on my allies to protect my, um, protectorate? It doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by BeeSting; 03-11-2009 at 01:40.
    'Hannibal had been the victor at Cannae, and as if the Romans had good cause to boast that you have only strength enough for one blow, and that like a bee that has left its sting you are now inert and powerless.'

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States, Earth

That brings up a good diplomacy issue. In Civ4 you could demand that an AI faction declare peace with another AI faction. Seems that would be a good thing here (notwithstanding that your allies should have made peace when that faction became your protectorate).

That brings up a good diplomacy issue. In Civ4 you could demand that an AI faction declare peace with another AI faction. Seems that would be a good thing here
    This is something I would really love to see CA put in. I've found that it is better not to call your allies right now because once they go to war with a faction they very rarely if ever declare peace until that faction is destroyed. Would be nice to have a little more intrigue in the diplomacy system.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish View Post
    That brings up a good diplomacy issue. In Civ4 you could demand that an AI faction declare peace with another AI faction. Seems that would be a good thing here (notwithstanding that your allies should have made peace when that faction became your protectorate).
    I agree, the game, which is essentially a single player one, should give you the tools to help you "role play", and the diplomatic option to ask or force other factions to make peace with another nation is an important one of those tools. So why would that option not be available here when people have been asking for it all these releases? CA should hire Sid Meiers or steal his ideas at least.
    Last edited by BeeSting; 03-11-2009 at 07:09.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Actually, I think the game should also have a treaty function, simply to end a multi-nation war. Numerous ones would be penned by different nations, and uh... yeah!
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

I like the Paradox system where for every war there is a "leader" of each alliance, and the leader can make peace for the whole alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by quadalpha View Post
    I like the Paradox system where for every war there is a "leader" of each alliance, and the leader can make peace for the whole alliance.
    I really like that system, too.

Actually it does have an effect on your relationship with your allies. If you check the relationship, it'll say that you're allied with their enemy, which they don't like. It usually doesn't have a great influence on your relationship, but I think it's a bit annoying.

^ LOL luv ur name... You're correct.

Also, has anyone seen AI factions ever make peace with one another? I have yet to see one.
    Last edited by BeeSting; 03-12-2009 at 02:28.

-Why can't I stipulate that a nation that I'm at war with become my protectorate when offering a peace treaty?

Also, has anyone seen AI factions ever make peace with one another? I have yet to see one.
    I never have, but I will say when a major nation goes down all the other major nations kinda all reshuffle. It is kind of sad that the AI won't make with peace with one another and we cannot force them to through being a "moderator" of peace talks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardri View Post
    I never have, but I will say when a major nation goes down all the other major nations kinda all reshuffle. It is kind of sad that the AI won't make with peace with one another and we cannot force them to through being a "moderator" of peace talks.
    That's sad. I was hoping to get a different answer.

If CA would simply throw in a diplomatic relation modifier encouraging AI Allies to ask for peace with a warring nation when (a) one of the AI's Aalies asks for peace with the warring nation, (b) one of the AI' allies becomes a portector of a warring nation, (c) when one of the AI's Allies becomes an ally with the warring nation. It should not be automatic, of course. Seperate peaces, 3 way wars, and side-switching mid war were not unheard of during the Wars of Succession and Revolution. But such a change should not be too hard to implement, if CA is paying attention.

Another option would be for the "State Gifts" to encourage the recipent to align his diplomatic policy closer towards yours.

As it is now, though, it is annoying that nobody ever makes peace with anybody. If I go to war to protect an ally, pretty much obliterate the armed forces of the aggressor nation, but stop just short of actually wiping him out in exchange for a very favorable peace settlement, it seems that my AI ally should get a clue and think about making peace himself.
    Last edited by NimitsTexan; 03-12-2009 at 08:10.
    "I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." Senator John Kerry, May 4, 2003

"It's the wrong war, in the wrong place at the wrong time." Senator John Kerry, 7 September, 2004

I have no idea how all these got missed pre release. did anyone at CA play through the campaign before the release date?
    Last edited by BeeSting; 03-14-2009 at 08:48.

I have no idea how all these got missed pre release. did anyone at CA play through the campaign before the release date?
    It wouldn't appear they did, but hopefully they will be able to remedy the majority of the shortcomings through subsequent patches.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartantyco View Post
    -Why can't I stipulate that a nation that I'm at war with become my protectorate when offering a peace treaty?
    I've been wondering this as well. It seems like an obvious thing to include (but maybe that's just me).
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

I think it is tied to some other condition. I could not ask the Huron to be a protectorate in my French campaign to start the game, but at some point something changed and I now have the option. Now I have no idea what causes it to be available sometimes and not at other times. I've tried to figure it out, but it doesn't seem to be tied to common enemies/allies or anything dealing with relations to nations.
    Last edited by Ardri; 03-14-2009 at 20:23.

Heir to the Scottish Throne Member Relic's Avatar

Yes, for some reason the pretectorates available varries throughout the game. Indeed these are annoying and confusing.