Thread: Warning: Campaign game save files

Default Warning: Campaign game save files

Just thought I should warn you folks of something that I've just noticed. The game save data files are rather large for grand campaign games (my smallest one packing in at 53MB), so make sure you keep an eye on your empire saves so it doesn't eat up a bunch of your hard drive space.

After my quick peek (was moving some over to my laptop to play on the couch) into the directory, I learned that my save games folder is up to 1.08GB, and that's only 18 saves.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Default Re: Warning: Campaign game save files

where are the save game files anyway?

courtesy of quadalpha in another thread:
    Vista: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\save_games
    XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\save_games

For XP, they're in C:\Documents and Settings\<<YOUR PROFILE>>\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\save_games

The Application Data folder is hidden, so if you don't have show hidden files enabled, you'll have to enable it.

Vista:
    C:\Users\<<YOUR PROFILE>>\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\save_games

Same rule about hidden folders applies to Vista, as the AppData folder will be hidden.
    Last edited by Shadow_Wolf33; 03-11-2009 at 05:59.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

so if you don't have show hidden files enabled
    How do you enable it?

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

CA really needs to add a 'delete save' option. It's been needed since RTW, I think.
    Come on, guys, it's like, a minute to code something like that.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Quote Originally Posted by Polemists View Post
    How do you enable it?
    For XP, in My Computer/Windows Explorer, go to Tools->Folder Options->View tab and select the "Show hidden files and folders" radio button. Hit Apply, then click Like Current Folder to apply it globally.
    Like a wooden man facing flowers and birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Polemists View Post
    How do you enable it?
    From any windows explorer (i.e., folder) window, press alt+t, then o. It's a checkbox under the "view" tab.

couldn't you delete saves in MTW2? I thought you could.

Yes you could delete saves in both RTW and MTW2.

2 gigs of savegames in a super secret folder with no in-game delete function.

Another method for keeping the save count low, would be doing something like a staggered 2 save system, where you still go with auto-save/quick save, but when you want to make a new manual save you do it by a fairly static name like current1/current2 and then alternate between the 2, rather than letting the game auto-name saves and eat up your gigabytes.

Either that or I should just get a 1.5 TB hard drive and use that for my main system drive, and just not care anymore.

Heaps Gooder Member aimlesswanderer's Avatar

Aaargh, why put the saves in such a random place? Keeping them together with the program files is a sensible idea.
    "All things are born from darkness, and all things return to darkness". Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

It's a little silly, but why can't you just go into the folder and delete saves yourself? It's a shame that the feature appears to be missing, but it's not like CA is forcing you to fill up your HD...

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

holy mother of god, 3.39 GB with every slot taken, and no way to delete files from in-game save menu LOL

thanks for pointing this out
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Yea I am 8 saves in, and now to the naming system of my saves but I still can't find a way to delete the old saves, looked for the file had no luck.

I have 0 hard drive space and having no luck finding this folder.

I need my comp for work and I am about to throw the game out the window.

I have windows XP and I can't find the appdata folder.
    Last edited by BeeSting; 03-15-2009 at 07:12.
    'Hannibal had been the victor at Cannae, and as if the Romans had good cause to boast that you have only strength enough for one blow, and that like a bee that has left its sting you are now inert and powerless.'

OK I found it. I went to the Start menu and did a Search (I have XP):

*Note the file is hidden so you have to hit "More Advanced Options" and check "Search hidden files and folders"
    Last edited by BeeSting; 03-15-2009 at 07:38.
    'Hannibal had been the victor at Cannae, and as if the Romans had good cause to boast that you have only strength enough for one blow, and that like a bee that has left its sting you are now inert and powerless.'

Just do what I do. I'm playing United Provinces right now and have a United Provinces and United Provinces 2 that I alternate saving to.