Thread: athenai

Default athenai

can it produce anything higher than a naval port?

Default Re: athenai

No, it can't.

A full list of naval structural possibilities can be found here
    This space intentionally left blank.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Yes it can. For the same reasons you said, Hax. The biggest port, according both to the Koinon Building Tree and the post about the bigport resource (which exists in Athenai, means that the biggest port can actually be built there).

Maion
    Last edited by Maion Maroneios; 03-12-2009 at 09:07.
    ~Maion

No Hax was correct Waydog was talking about naval ports ie. the ones you build ships in. You can only build the lowest level in Athenai as it doesn't have the navyport hidden resource.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by bobbin; 03-12-2009 at 11:30.

Aha, I understand now ok.

Maion
    ~Maion

well that seems a bit ahistorical

Not necessarily - remember that Athens at the time of EB had just practically "rebelled" from Makedonia, under which they had no "Athenian imperial fleet" - and in actual history, that rebellion was rather short-lived and overall a failure until Rome came to "liberate" Athens from the "Makedonian yoke".
    The grand Athenian fleets were something that existed during the time of the battle of Thermopylae IIRC, and they might have been composed of pentekonteroi or something similarly low-tech compared to the EB peroid's naval standards...
    If I am mistaken, however - well then I agree there should be a bigger naval port available in Athens.
    But as long as what I have just said about Athens and it's non-existant naval power in the EB time period is correct then the hidden resources are distributed correctly. I mean, otherwise EVERY city at the sea and even those at large rivers would be "eligible" for building any ships that could possibly navigate their waterways because "theoretically, they could have decided to import Carthaginian shipwrights to show them how to build a fleet and then raided Trapezous for timber".

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.

The grand Athenian fleets were something that existed during the time of the battle of Thermopylae IIRC, and they might have been composed of pentekonteroi or something similarly low-tech compared to the EB peroid's naval standards...
    The Greek fleets of "Thermopylae period" consisted mainly of light triremes, which were designed for maximum maneuverability . In EB time-frame, specifically under the Carthagians and Romans, the triremes had developed into heavier and more durable but less maneuverable vessels.

General Aetius
    "It were not best that we should all think alike;it is difference of opinion that makes horse races." Mark Twain
    We super powers have it tough- Calvin and Hobbes
    Balloons collected:and one for been a Calvin and Hobbes fan!

Quote Originally Posted by General Aetius View Post
    The Greek fleets of "Thermopylae period" consisted mainly of light triremes, which were designed for maximum maneuverability . In EB time-frame, specifically under the Carthagians and Romans, the triremes had developed into heavier and more durable but less maneuverable vessels.

General Aetius
    That's very very true. Acoording to the EB team, the Hellenistic Era was also called the "Age of Poliremes", right?

Maion
    ~Maion

That's very very true. Acoording to the EB team, the Hellenistic Era was also called the "Age of Poliremes", right?
    I have no idea.

General Aetius
    "It were not best that we should all think alike;it is difference of opinion that makes horse races." Mark Twain
    We super powers have it tough- Calvin and Hobbes
    Balloons collected:and one for been a Calvin and Hobbes fan!