Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The org's TEN YEAR anniversary...

Default Re: The org's TEN YEAR anniversary...

I think also some form of competition could be launched. Im quite sure that CA/ Sega could be willing to give some prizes for such event, if not maybe few of us Orgahs could chip in.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That be a good idea Kage. Any ideas?

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons; a battle on Totomi would be apt. Perhaps we could vote on who fights.

*I can't do it, I've got a bad back :)*
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Each section of the forum can host special events. For example we can have MP competition for each games (Shogun, MTW, RTW, M2TW, ETW), we can have history quiz, we can have a 48 hours mafia game, Simultaneous Posting happy birthday on Front page etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Senior Member Senior Member Kurando's Avatar

Post Re: The org's TEN YEAR anniversary...

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    Good stuff Kurando! Keep it coming!

Well, other than a pile of old stuff there's not much of interest, but I thought this was really hillarious (see attachment). This is defintley the oldest piece of .org memorabilia in existance. For the first six months before the S:TW single player demo was released all we had to go on was a couple of screen shots of the beta, so in order to pass the time we used to try and discuss strategy. Members of the forum use to make bmp's of scenarios and then have epic discussions on plans of attack and how to solve the scenarios.

Kinda lame, but it's all we had... -The one thing that we did get out of this though was the org's solid foundation of discussing ancient history and it's also where the org's tradition of written stories and writing competitions started as well.

Just quick a note on Guild membership join dates, (not that it really matters)... ;)

The ezboard message board in the old days had no registration or IP Addresses + I think the very first board we tried that had registration was UBB Ultimate Bullitin Board This happened on 10-29-2000.

So any currently active members with join-date's in Oct/Nov/Dec 2000, Ii Naomasa, Gregoshi, Catiline, Magraev, The Black Ship, Puzz3D, Ronin, Strategy, Tomisama, Idaho, Slyspy, FearofFucy, barocca, Nsan, Hosakawa Tito, etc. are patrons who were probably at some point originally on the old board and made their way to the new board when the registration opened. However because there was originally no registration I had no way of telling when they actually joined, so the date that is listed is when they migrated to the new board and first registered themselves as members (some time around Oct/Nov 2000).

Active patrons who have a join dates in the 90's or eariler The Scorge, Nelson, nokor, The Shogun were patrons who's registration I retro-fitted because I knew for certain they'd been around the whole time, but they are not necessarily the only ones.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	village.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	55  
    Last edited by Kurando; 03-15-2009 at 22:33.
    Modern civilization is a vast conspiracy against silence

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurando View Post

Kinda lame, but it's all we had... -The one thing that we did get out of this though was the org's solid foundation of discussing ancient history and it's also where the org's tradition of written stories and writing competitions started as well.

Bless you, sir.

It is amazing that you still have some of that stuff around Kurando. Thank you for preserving some history. In that re-registration, I only lost about four months though. I think I joined around July 2000 when STW hit the streets.

You know, a lot of sports teams here in the US that have celebrated 50 or 75 year anniversaries recently have done so by wearing throw-back uniforms from days long gone. I wonder if it would be relatively easy to change the Org skin for all forums to the original STW for a day or week in recognition of the anniversary. Time is rather short for the actual anniversary, so whatever is done for THE day has to be relatively easy. Other thing like contests (an official 10 year logo?) could be organized for the remainder of the year. Thought?
    This space intentionally left blank

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think you should get 10 000 posts Gregoshi!

You can represent the .org, a thousand posts a year!
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

You know, a lot of sports teams here in the US that have celebrated 50 or 75 year anniversaries recently have done so by wearing throw-back uniforms from days long gone. I wonder if it would be relatively easy to change the Org skin for all forums to the original STW for a day or week in recognition of the anniversary. Time is rather short for the actual anniversary, so whatever is done for THE day has to be relatively easy. Other thing like contests (an official 10 year logo?) could be organized for the remainder of the year. Thought?
    I think that's a cool idea. Me likey.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Wandering Fool Senior Member bamff's Avatar

A growing trend among sports teams here in Oz as well....

And an excellent idea it is too! "Org Heritage Week", where the skins revert to the original...AND maybe a little trivia section in the relevant issue of the Gah-zette? "Did you know?" with some facts from the Org's 10 years of history?

The org had a single line mention in the UK PC Gamer magazine in the same issue which came with the STW demo. That's how I found this place; I lurked off and on for years. I wonder how many others who followed that magazine tip are still here? It was a long, hard wait between demo and game release.

I always thought of the org as 'that' site where people had the funny wannabe-samurai names, and behaved in an exquisitely polite fashion. Many posts contained Japanese words which I didn't understand until years later when I read Shogun by James Clavell. Hehe, the look that must have been on my face when I learned konnichiwa means hello! It had a very distinctive atmosphere, mature and helpful. There was no other site like it.

I wonder if it might be worth making a little collection of people's memories of the org? We've got some here to start with, and I'm sure there must be others who would like to add a few words.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

That's it!

It's been staring us all in the face, the reason that we behaved ourselves was because of the nature of the game. The original game I mean. There was a lot of expectation that you behaved honourably and curtiously, especially after a win, it was considered the thing to do.

Obviously the STW game attracted a certain kind of person.

May it's predessesors continue to do so.

There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

And successors, too. :)

To have a gander at how things looked in the olden times see here, courtesy of archive.org.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was going to join when I was 8 at the time in 2000, but I was a stupid young boy and I didn't know how (however, I did sign up on .Com and have contact with MagyarKhan's Charm!)! I know now what good times I miss, since I didn't join .Org until Februaby 2006. I been here 3 years, not a long time compare to Kudano!

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Perhaps each mod can write the "history of org" for their section.
    That will be a interesting read

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post

To have a gander at how things looked in the olden times see here, courtesy of archive.org.
    That is brilliant.

Ouch! :)
    Last edited by InsaneApache; 03-17-2009 at 02:03. Reason: The 'P' is silent s in bath

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

The link provided by Kukri made me remember when I joined... good times, but better are the ones I live now here!

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Konnichiwa, Kurando-sama!

So many people are glad that you planted that first acorn 10 years ago.

It seems like yesterday.

Back then Shogun:TW sounded too good to be true but it lived up to expectations. No one could have guessed where we’d be now.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh me, oh my, ten years is quite some time
    My thanks go to those that helped this site start
    Such a wondrous place, and for not one dime
    May it be years more before we depart.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seireikhaan View Post
    Oh me, oh my, ten years is quite some time
    My thanks go to those that helped this site start
    Such a wondrous place, and for not one dime
    May it be years more before we depart.
    You got lost on the way to Reenk's mafia game perhaps?
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    You got lost on the way to Reenk's mafia game perhaps?

Naw, its taking over me like a disease,
    You must excuse me as my sanity flees...
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Wooow, and i'm gonna turn 4 years old on this forum. :)
    I remember when I joined, RTW era, it was a really interesting place. I hung around and met some great people.

So what's the plan for 14th of April?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

I think I'll get drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurando View Post
    Good question... According to my desktop records the site DNS mainpage officially opened Friday April 2nd, 1999. And the message board that we all know and love, The Sword Dojo, (now known as The Guild), officially opened April 14th 1999.

I retro-fitted a few of the membership join dates when we switched the board to vBulletin 1.0 in summer of 2000. We did this to facilitate the memebership explosion we experienced pending the release of Shogun Totalwar in June of 2000. For the first year we had a different ezboard message board that was red, green, and black in colour, and the original vBulletin 1.0 board was babyblue; the current board colours were adopted somewhere around 2003, but the old blue colour scheme was carefully preserved and still exists in the Guild's current Sword Dojo.

I remember for the first year before the demo was released we tried to stay focused on History and Strategy, the Art of War and whatnot; if fact, believe it or not, there was no off-topic content allowed on the board (not even frontroom-type stuff). ;) Surprisingly members were okay with this and we didn't have many problems moderating, but there were probably only a few dozen active posters before the demo came out so it was much easier than you might think to keep things on track.

totalwar.org got a big break earily spring of 2000 when some patrons from the UK somehow talked the Creative Assembly Team into giving .org a hands-on look at the demo. Richie and the rest of the CA Team were really good to the us, and our guys who got to see the S:TW Beta kept us inspired and on-track during the game's pre-demo days.

Interestingly in the earily days we had an arch-rival site "www.plannettotalwar.com" -There were some cool guys over there, but we managed to stay ahead of them and eventually .org became established as the place to be. At the time I think planettotalwar.com had a reputation as a "players site" and .org had more a reputation as an "info site", but we had good info that's for sure. Guys like PUZZ3D understood the mechanics of the game very intimately and helped a lot of people out. Also we had some serious historians, great modders, and apt story writers here at .org and they pulled together to keep forum content interesting.

So that's how it all started, but that's only the smallest fraction of how it got to where it is now. We owe the real thanks to Tosa and company. And most especially to the patrons; without whom this whole endevour would have amounted to nothing.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the old gal. ;)
    Interesting. Is there a full history of the ORG from 1999-2009?
    OMG I haz a balloon,
    -awarded by chairman

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    I think I'll get drunk.
    Simple and efficient.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

Ten years... ten? TEN? Just the tech support over the five early years I was active in felt like 15 or so. You sure you counting right?
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

Erado San!? I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw your name in this thread. It is an honour and pleasure to see you return to these ancient halls.
    This space intentionally left blank

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

I can imagine :)

Something drew me back. Must be my ability to smell a party from 30 miles with the wind coming from behind!
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

This thread starts feeling like an Ents Council
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Erado San!? I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw your name in this thread. It is an honour and pleasure to see you return to these ancient halls.
    Indeed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast