Thread: character traits

Default character traits

How do you find the list of character traits in the game files? I know "Arrogans" is a certain level of a certain trait, but I don't know which one. Can someone help me? -M
    My Balloons:

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Wink Re: character traits

EDCT is usually in C:\Rome - Total War\EB\Data\export_descr_character_traits. The directory is only slightly different in the very beginning if you placed your EB in the Program Files. Personally, Program Files is a place for the Trivial Script and Documentation, not the EB itself IMHO. Also, I must say I have spent hours and hours reading the whole .txt file. It is very exciting, no sarcasm intended. I love figuring our game mechanics, even such simple and superficial ones.

Default Re: character traits

Note: do NOT edit the traits file with notepad. It will screw your game up badly. Use a different program like Geany.
    From Fluvius Camillus for my Alexander screenshot

I use Textpad.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Arrow Re: character traits

Quote Originally Posted by Cullhwch View Post
    Note: do NOT edit the traits file with notepad. It will screw your game up badly. Use a different program like Geany.
    I disagree on the "screw up your game". I have both heavily and lightly edited almost all the EB Data text files in Notepad, and nothing happened. Now it is NOT RECOMMENDED, but nothing happened to me yet...

Notepad works fine for certain EB files but not others. I can't remember exactly which ones are cool with it, but I do know that if you edit the wrong one with notepad and save you'll just get CTDs at the start.

I use notepad on everything and its ok....

That's odd. I might have problems with notepad due to the fact that I'm still running 1.1 with RTW.exe and that I've also edited both of the script files. Anyway, I'd suggest you try Geany, because it's a seriously nifty program with tabs, advanced search features, and all sorts of bells and whistles that you won't get with more basic editors. And it's still free.

Quote Originally Posted by Cullhwch View Post
    Notepad works fine for certain EB files but not others. I can't remember exactly which ones are cool with it, but I do know that if you edit the wrong one with notepad and save you'll just get CTDs at the start.
    Notepad works for all files; however if you have word wrap turned on (so that a really lone line is continued on the row below instead of making the screen really wide) and then save a file, I find that sometimes the longer lines are saved broken off like that, which causes CTD's.

That is, I think it has something to do with the word wrap function, I haven't tested it properly.

Notepad is fine for editing most files like the export_descr_unit, export_descr_buildings, descr_model_battle and descr_stat txt files, it has never worked with me for export_descr_character_traits.txt so i use notepad++ for that (well actually i use it for everything as its a lot better that notepad)

From what I've heard the reason notepad doesn't work with all txt files has something to do with the way it handles unicode.

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

I use Notepad++ too. However I noticed that it identifies EDCT as coded in ANSI...
    I do not know a damn about various .txt files formats, could somebody clarify this issue a bit to the extent relevant to EB customizing/modding? Thanks.