Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lol my hometown is in the game

Rip, Slip, Brush, Ahh Member crazyviking03's Avatar

Default lol my hometown is in the game

Now, I know for people who live in London, or Paris, or Rome or any big European city this is nothing new. But i am totaly whigging out because Lexington is a village in the Kaintuk Territory. Once I am able to wrangle control of the area from the Cherokee, I will protect her to the last breath; to bad we can transfer capitals in this game lol.
    What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

lol

Default Re: lol my hometown is in the game

I had a similar pleasant surprise upon learning that Swansea is one of the towns in Britain.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Man, Derby (in England) never makes it into anything. I was secretly hoping it might be in Empire. Oh well, maybe mods can help...

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Yeah I live 30 minutes from a major city in Southern Ontario Canada called London and it is a farm in this game. So I always protect it :).

As much as I've enjoyed past TW games and appreciate Japanese, medieval European and ancient Roman scenery, as an American it has been refreshing to play Empire and see familiar place names, landscapes and building styles from home.

From what I've seen so far, CA has done a good job of replicating the look and feel of colonial American towns and frontier areas. I could nitpick about other things, though - like putting General Howe in Maine after evacuating Boston rather than New York .... I'm sure in real life Washington would've much rather chased Howe into the backwoods of Maine rather than have to defend an island city from amphibious assault by the world's greatest navy ...
    An E:TW AAR on the American Revolution: The Long March of Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    Man, Derby (in England) never makes it into anything. I was secretly hoping it might be in Empire. Oh well, maybe mods can help...
    I don't think anybody actually believes that the East Midlands exists. Only thing we really get any note for is Robin Hood, and thats bloody Nottingham.

Glad to hear I'm not the only Derby-boy here though.

Also, as a tru Lexingtonian, I was gleefuly happy to see that Louisville was NOT on the campaign map

jk
    What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Belgolas View Post
    Yeah I live 30 minutes from a major city in Southern Ontario Canada called London and it is a farm in this game. So I always protect it :).
    Mine is there too, Trois-Rivières. Not a very big town compare to Europeans cities but it was an important trade point with the Amerindian back then.

Hey Belgolas did you also laugh when you saw they made Montreal the Capital of Upper Canada? I was pleasantly surprised none of us Canadian go flaming when they saw this or that they made Washington the conquerer of Quebec (Sherman must be smiling in his tomb). Poor Wolfe at least he got mentioned in the pre-battle loading screen message.
    Last edited by Melvish; 03-12-2009 at 17:54.
    I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends. ---Abraham Lincoln

East mids born and bred (Leicester),

it's true, even when they based a sitcom in Derby(the iceskating one) they all had yorks accents. try the movies deadman's shoes or this is england

back to topic

Leeds is in, also seems to appear before manchester too, little things..
    ...whoever commands the ocean, commands the trade of the world, and whoever commands the trades of the world, commands the riches of the world, and whoever is master of that, commands the world itself..

"... it is a good thing to kill an admiral from time to time to encourage the others." Voltaire, Candide.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006556106

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States, Earth

Nothing really on the map for Wilmington, we're I'm at. But Charleston is a major city, so that's cool. It's like Wilmington south (or we're like Charleston north, not sure which.. both are really cool small beach cities though).

But I was super stoked in Kingdoms, where in the Americas Campaign there was a tiny little nameless fishing village right where the mouth of the Cape Fear River would be. It was too perfect. My Apache warriors headed east immediately, and with much vigor, when that part of the map was revealed by a scout. The French didn't know what hit em.

True, it's good to finally have North America, especially Canada, in a game! Now I can expand my ginormous French colonial empire from my home town of Montreal!
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States, Earth

Completely OT, but

Montreal was the destination for my only trip outside the States so far. Absolutely loved it. Great city you have there. It was a spur of the moment thing where me and a few buddies drove up there... in February. This was probably 2004. Snow and ice everywhere, but it was great.

Favorite sight to see was all the awesome graf that was done near all the skate shops and head shops around Rue St. Catherine. Apparently there's an open competition there every year? Absolutely mind-blowingly amazing tags on some of those buildings. Went to a cool bar that had a nice little skate ramp set up. Couple of good clubs too, though they were unfortunately playing trance (Where's the nu skool?!). Even went to see Le Habs play, although being a Hurricanes fan I can't say that I was pulling for them.

Favorite moment was seeing the difference between the US and Canadian border patrol. Coming back in, the US side grilled us... a few white dudes from NC driving up to Montreal in mid-winter for 5 days? Pull over there please, where our 10 agents can interview you individually and break down your entire car and let an entire kennel of bloodhounds sniff everything.. Driving in to Canada? One Mountie in basically a phone booth who leaned out and asked "Got any alcohol or Cigarettes?"... "Nope"... "Welcome to Canada! Enjoy your stay." I 3> Canada.

I'm stuck with Devonshire Farmlands. It seems the old stereotype of everyone in the Westcountry is a farmer is still going strong.
    My view is that it is deserable to be both loved and feared; but it is difficult to achieve both and, if one of them has to be lacking, it is much safer to be feared than loved. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by IlDuce View Post
    It seems the old stereotype of everyone in the Westcountry is a farmer is still going strong.

lol I hear ya man. I was out of state once and had someone seriously ask me if we wore shoes in kentucky.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by crazyviking03 View Post
    lol I hear ya man. I was out of state once and had someone seriously ask me if we wore shoes in kentucky.
    Well do you? Way to leave me in suspense.

That being said Hot Fuzz was bordering on being a documentary when I watched it.
    My view is that it is deserable to be both loved and feared; but it is difficult to achieve both and, if one of them has to be lacking, it is much safer to be feared than loved. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Heir to the Scottish Throne Member Relic's Avatar

Me too!
    Belfast appears in ireland about 40 turns in I think.

Quote Originally Posted by IlDuce View Post
    I'm stuck with Devonshire Farmlands. It seems the old stereotype of everyone in the Westcountry is a farmer is still going strong.

Oooo-Aaarrrr..... Etc.

I know what you mean, I moved to Sussex last year having lived in Somerset for as long as I care to remember.

Christ, the looks I get when I pull up at McDonald's in my combine harvester......
    "Romanes Eunt Domus"

- Brian of Nazareth

"We always have been, we are, and I hope we always shall be, detested in France."

- Arthur Wellesly

Why is sheffield never in games :( it's 4th biggest city in england :( or is it in and i just didn't notice?
    Last of the Romans - Efthymios ek Sparteos

The oddest part about it is Lexington was not established until after Kentucky was being settled by the Europeans. There were no Native American villages or towns in Kentucky. Harrodsburg or Limestone would have been more accurate , though both were settled by the English. If it was name Limestone, the location would have to change.

It would have been more accurate to have a town in Ohio (Chillicoithe) and one in the Tennessee area . (Though Chillicoithe was a Shawnee town).

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Man, Vancouver isn't even on the map.
    You guys are lucky, since both China, Vancouver, and Krefeld aren't on there.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Quote Originally Posted by miniwally View Post
    Why is sheffield never in games :( it's 4th biggest city in england :( or is it in and i just didn't notice?
    I threw up a fort in Georgia, and it was named Fort Sheffield

small compensation i know....... lol
    Last edited by crazyviking03; 03-13-2009 at 00:04. Reason: my horrible spelling

lol

Member Member 5 Card Draw Champion, Mini Pool 2 Champion, Ice Hockey Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion Northnovas's Avatar

Actually I was surprised to see Moose Factory but it is one of the oldest settlements and it was my residence for 3 years a long time ago.

My home town is there too. Can't believe it.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Newtownards, Co.Down, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Belfast is in!!!...it is almost Newtownards.

"Where some states have an army, the Prussian Army has a state!"
    - Voltaire

"There is no mistake; there has been no mistake; and there shall be no mistake."
    - 1st Duke of Wellington, Arthur Wellesley

No place like home.

I haven't got my copy yet, but is Ipswich ( I really don't hold out much hope) in there?
    Do you find something funny with the name Biggus Dickus?

in the EB PBeM

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

This is turning into a 'What obscure town do you come from?' thread. Which is great .

Hello to every other member from the East Midlands! One day we will get ourselves a game, and the rest of the country will realise we exist .

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They should have Lancaster. It was number one place for the wool industry in Britain, so thus, needs to have a weavers built on it.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Man, Vancouver isn't even on the map.
    You guys are lucky, since both China, Vancouver, and Krefeld aren't on there.
    Vancouver was founded way after the timeframe of the game.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Eh, there were tribes living around there. Its just that the area itself doesn't exist in-game
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Blog Entries

Bah. Chelmsford or even Colchester aren't in this game now where am i supposed to get ammo for my chav cannon?
    Last edited by Greyblades; 03-13-2009 at 04:25.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast