Thread: Artillery

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Artillery

If anyone has tips or success stories were artillery played a crucial role post them here please. Personally I have found artillery to be generally ineffective and not through lack of trying. I have tried using high ground and positioning them at various points across the line, even wheeling some 6 lber's onto the flank during battle, they simply just don't kill enough people to warrant a slot in my armies.

Mortars - I tried using them in various siege battles and in the field, on both occasions they killed less than ten men. I have experiemnted with the various forms of projectile and that changed nothing.

Puckle Gun - Not bad, in a shoot out they can rack up a body count, but no more so than a unit of line or light infantry.

Howitzers - Generally the same as mortars, anything that isn't the size of a fortress wall can't be hit.

6, 12 and 24 lber's - I have probably had the most success with these. Good for making a breach. In field battles with cannister and shrapnel, however, they still don't kill all that many people and aren't very consistent with what they do kill, usually anywhere from 5 - 50 people. Not bad I suppose, hopefully with your help I can make them a little more worthwhile.

Rockets - I almost forgot about these guys, I wasn't expecting to actually hit anything with them anyways. They don't have a drastic effect on morale either, not enough to change the tide of battle.
    Last edited by Meldarion; 03-12-2009 at 19:44.