Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iraqi Shoe Thrower Gets Three Years

Default Iraqi Shoe Thrower Gets Three Years

BAGHDAD — An Iraqi journalist who gained widespread acclaim throughout the Arab world for hurling his shoes at President Bush during a visit here in December was sentenced to three years in jail by a court on Thursday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/13/wo..._r=1&ref=world

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Iraqi Shoe Thrower Gets Three Years

3 years?! a bit much, IMO.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

3 years? This is the country we were spreading democracy to, right?
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

IIRC the old punishment for such an offense was 15 years.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    3 years? This is the country we were spreading democracy to, right?
    It was attempted assault on a foreign leader. The country is still trying to prove that it has some semblance of law and order. What should that have done? Thrown him a party?
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    It was attempted assault on a foreign leader. The country is still trying to prove that it has some semblance of law and order. What should that have done? Thrown him a party?
    No he should be punished and I think jail time is appropriate. 3 years just seems a tad much. I'd have given him 2.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

He did this in the wrong country.

Here in the USA, he'd have been given less than a year with most of that suspended and would probably have landed 3-4 paid interviews, a small book deal and a Reebok endorsement contract.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post

Here in the USA, he'd have been given less than a year with most of that suspended and would probably have landed 3-4 paid interviews, a small book deal and a Reebok endorsement contract.
    Provided that Secret Service wouldn't be quick enough to shoot him on the spot.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hooahguy View Post
    The guy's lucky the Secret Service didn't blow his head off the moment he threw something at the ex-President.

Seriously, where were they on that one? I'm surprised the guy wasn't at least tackled the moment he stood up.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

3 years seems very harsh, he was only trying to make a point, not really harm Mr. Bush.

Although I'm also surprised he wasn't taken out on the spot.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Blog Entries

3 years? Murders can get less time than that on good behavior, shows where the worlds priorities are. I'm one to harshly judge but even I think 3 years for shoe throwing is wayyyyy to much, 3 months maybe....
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 03-13-2009 at 08:17. Reason: Language

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

I think as time goes on, the definition for "assault" gets more and more absurd, and its nice to see the American definition is spreading to out protectorate. Attempted battery, maybe, but aggression against a visiting head of state? The guy missed FFS

Was it a steel-toe boot, was there cement in the heel, was it a shoe bomb? What about an egg to the side of the head or a pie in the face, or squirting Tom Cruise in the face with water?

What if the shoe were tossed at, say, a state Senator from Texas or the Governor of South Dakota or the chairman of the FCC, would it still be considered aggression against a visiting head of state? What if the head of state is not visiting, and he is, in fact, there on a guest worker program to do the job Iraqis don't want to do for themselves? What if its a former head of state, or a head of state up on corruption charges, or a head of state from a country considered the enemy?

Of course, regionally speaking, I'm surprised he got off this easy. I imagine if it were a woman tossing the shoe she would already be stoned to death
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Three years is way over the top, hell he even missed...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I'm disappointed, but I expected this sort of thing. I'm sure the journalist did as well.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

It's a shoe . How much would he have gotten of it was a cake. Guy should be released it's completely harmless he doesn't belong in jail.
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 03-13-2009 at 08:18. Reason: Language

I bet if he knew he was going to get such a stiff penalty, he would have thrown something else, like a dildo or a handful of poo.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Folks, Iraqi law is very specific. Assaulting a head of state (meaning a non-Iraqi President/Prime Minister/Grand Chancellor/What-have-you) is punishable by up to fifteen years in prison. He got one fifth of the maximum sentence. Doesn't sound to me like the court was coming down hard on him.

However you want to spin it, he made a physical assault on a visiting head of state. Giving him a book deal and a suspended sentence would be a very bad thing.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post

Actually he's a celebrity over there. I've read in the papers several months ago that some huge number of lawyers applied to represent him for free. I can't remember the exact number, but it was really huge, like 30,000 or more. One of the biggest shoe manufacturers in Turkey made a new model named after him. He'll cash it in, don't worry.

Hell, for the 10% of the amount he's gonna get, I'd be willing to spend those 3 years in jail instead of him.

I don't think 3 years in jail is too much. He did assault and insult a president of a foreign country visiting and insulted his own country in the process. Just because it was Bush and most people around the world found it cool doesn't change much. It's about the principle, not the person. And anyway, I don't think he's gonna be deprived of much in those 3 years in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    He did assault and insult a president of a foreign country visiting and insulted his own country in the process.
    What's wrong with insulting a head of state?
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    What's wrong with insulting a head of state?
    In a scenario like that, especially, it is inappropriate. You could make the argument that it undermines diplomacy.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    It's about the principle, not the person.
    Well yeah, throwing a shoe, 3 years in prison. That guy really doesn't belong in jail.
    Last edited by Fragony; 03-13-2009 at 04:36.

That guy is an ungrateful degenerate who should have been thanking Bush because under Saddam Hussein people didn't even have shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    In a scenario like that, especially, it is inappropriate. You could make the argument that it undermines diplomacy.
    Do you honestly think that Bush then thought "Oh screw this - we're not going to reach XXXXX agreement with the Iraqi Government because some journalist not at all affiliated with the government threw a shoe at me"?

I don't honestly care whether or not it is inappropriate to insult a head of state - they are not, nor should they ever be, above criticism or the jibes of their fellow humans.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Do you honestly think that Bush then thought "Oh screw this - we're not going to reach XXXXX agreement with the Iraqi Government because some journalist not at all affiliated with the government threw a shoe at me"?
    Well, all you need to ask yourself is what the Yes, Prime Minister quote for this is. It happens to be that (paraphrased) according to the Foreign Office, every state dinner by a Prime Minister with a foreign dignitary undoes about two years worth of diplomatic work (unless prearranged by the Civil Service, of course ) - so imagine what a shoe throw can do.

I don't honestly care whether or not it is inappropriate to insult a head of state - they are not, nor should they ever be, above criticism or the jibes of their fellow humans.
    Not insulting doesn't mean that they're not above criticism, otherwise hordes of people would be arrested everytime a major world leader went anywhere.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

You don't think it could be a problem if at every press Q&A with a foreign leader in your country any malcontent who wanted to could come in and shout insults and throw things at them?

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump
    Was it a steel-toe boot, was there cement in the heel, was it a shoe bomb?
    Have someone nail you in the face as hard as they can with a pair of men's dress shoes and see if it feels like an assault. Sure he missed, but even in the US many (most?) states don't distinguish between attempted assault or assault- if you intended to do it, you did it. In my state, even simple assault, a misdemeanor, can get you sentenced for up to two years. Now if it was a bomb, or other deadly weapon, you'd have an attempted assassination- in that case, he'd be looking at a lot more than just 3 yrs and rightly so.

I think his sentence is reasonable and I doubt he'll do all 3 years anyway.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 03-13-2009 at 07:47.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 04-02-2021 at 22:26.

Considering that those shoes COULD have seriously hurt the leader of the free world if they struck him in the temple or eye (which is a very real possibility), I think it is way too little. Not to mention the crime he did to his own country by representing them in such a way. I say death for this dirtbag.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    You don't think it could be a problem if at every press Q&A with a foreign leader in your country any malcontent who wanted to could come in and shout insults and throw things at them?
    No problem with that at all. In fact it regularly used to be done when our former Prime Minister would go out on his morning walks. People didn't throw things, but he was called a lot of things that required a censor when they went to air.

Quote Originally Posted by hooahguy View Post
    Yeah, 3 years too much.

Freedom of expression, speech - whatever you wanna say, he used it in a 'democracy'. So what if it was shoes thrown at a leader of a nation? So if I throw my shoes at someone on the street, I deserve 3 years jail time? Why the hell are leaders of nations more important? A citizen is a citizen, throwing shoes does NOT deserve jail time, in any democracy.

What it shoes really, is the grip the US has over the judicial and political system in Iraq and that really it is no real democracy. 3 years for making a political point, if we follow thta logic, lets lock up all of those in Iraq against the US invasion - oh dear, then there would be no country. The real criminal act in all this has been the actions of the US over the last 5 years, but fat chance getting them to sentencing.

On this logic, by the way, the woman who threw custard in our business secretary last week, should get what, 10 years? Because that not only hit him, but ruined his tie! :( But ah yes, we do live in a democracy, so she won't get any jail time.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    Considering that those shoes COULD have seriously hurt the leader of the free world if they struck him in the temple or eye (which is a very real possibility), I think it is way too little. Not to mention the crime he did to his own country by representing them in such a way. I say death for this dirtbag.

If you base an argument purely on what might happen you can condone and construct such fancyful logic that anything becomes possible. It is the ultimate fools logic. But planes could crash?! OH NOES STOP THE AIRPORTS! But he could have got brushed by a shoe, LOCK THEM ALL UP!
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast