Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm sick of massed mortar batteries...

Default Re: I'm sick of massed mortar batteries...

Massed mortar batteries means that the opponent has neglected to bring enough infantry to fight with you, or that he has neglected his cavalry, or that he didn't bring skirmishers.

Mortar's effectiveness is overplayed by people online, to defeat mortar wielding players, all one must do is get into line infantry range of his army. Mortar is completely ineffective at close range, effectively neutralizing a large portion of the money the player spent. If the player keeps his mortars away from the rest of his army, then send your cavalry directly at him. If you brought a sufficient cavalry force, and run to the mortars, they will not be able to whittle down your cavalry enough to defeat the charge.

This is all my opinion of course, but it seems to work everytime I face someone with mass mortar batteries.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Majora1988 View Post
    Massed mortar batteries means that the opponent has neglected to bring enough infantry to fight with you, or that he has neglected his cavalry, or that he didn't bring skirmishers.

Mortar's effectiveness is overplayed by people online, to defeat mortar wielding players, all one must do is get into line infantry range of his army. Mortar is completely ineffective at close range, effectively neutralizing a large portion of the money the player spent. If the player keeps his mortars away from the rest of his army, then send your cavalry directly at him. If you brought a sufficient cavalry force, and run to the mortars, they will not be able to whittle down your cavalry enough to defeat the charge.
    1) He brings light infantry, deploying stakes around the mortars. All you need is four.
    2) Four or so mortars are enough to cause MASSIVE casualties to your advancing armies.
    3) You don't have time to get across the map before you are mauled.

I brief how to on approaching mortars

mortars leave the tube and there aim point is already determined, using there advanced physics degrees these mortar crews dont actually aim at your troops, they aim at where they think your troops will be and with amazing accuracy. However this can be exploited.

begin running to them, wait for the mortars to fire, halt all units, a hail of mortar rounds will land harmlessly 10 feet in front of you.
    now as they fire more there reload will variable and pretty soon you cant do this BUT for 2 or 3 rounds (i.e. the time needed to close) it works beautifully.
    alternatly you could be stopped and begin running but then second rank units could be hit and of course your not moving toward them while you wait for them to fire irregardless do this i assure you you'll see a massive decrease in mortar deaths from the intital volleys while charging them.
    1* Sparkzbarca

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Ok folks, i'm curious-as of the latest patch, mortar cost has nearly doubled in singleplayer, and i assume this has carried over into multiplayer. So do you feel that they are properly balanced now?

Mortars are still cheap weapons. Combine that with the fact that you can deploy in a corner of the map with your flanks protected by the edges of the map itself, and it just isn't fun...

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    Mortars are still cheap weapons. Combine that with the fact that you can deploy in a corner of the map with your flanks protected by the edges of the map itself, and it just isn't fun...
    It’s the same old stuff, just a different day. Abuse of the red line, corner camping, unit spamming, the use of siege weapons in a field battle, nothing new here. In competition circles we call it cheating, because these actions take advantage of unintended aspects of the game.

The people who do use these factors to their advantage, either do not realize that they are destroying the very community that they seek to play in, or they are too immature to care. Education cures a few, time a few more, the rest lose interest and with no more easy victories, move on.

It’s the same with every new release, and it all works out in the end. The way to survive the ignorant and arrogant players, is to develop friendships with people you can trust not to do these things. Folks who know the multiplayer requires other people, and who have a sense of fair play.

Last edited by Tomisama; 06-02-2009 at 11:35. Reason: added: players, is to develop
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Quote Originally Posted by Tomisama View Post
    It’s the same old stuff, just a different day. Abuse of the red line, corner camping, unit spamming, the use of siege weapons in a field battle, nothing new here. In competition circles we call it cheating, because these actions take advantage of unintended aspects of the game.
    The game can be balanced so that these exploits do not work. I know because we have a version of total war where these exploits do not work.

It's not cheating to take advantage of exploits in the game. The exploits shouldn't exist.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

I guess I just don’t understand the whole issue. If it is massed artillery then you disperse your force and present a poor target to the enemy.

Longer lines and fewer ranks should work with spacing between your units. If they are vulnerable to horse then use that.

If someone thinks up a tactic then it is up to you to exploit that tactics weaknesses. Each side strives to be the stronger and to not give the other guy a chance to do to you what you want to do to him.

Battles are about tactics.

Tactics are simply making the best use of the men and weapons at your disposal.

Find a counter tactic and embarrass the **** out of them!

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123