Thread: No unique units for Big factions, Bad AI and Naval

Default No unique units for Big factions, Bad AI and Naval

Is it just me or is it really lame that several factions have no special heavy line infantry.
    Why not have "Elite Prussian Line Infantry", that would suffice.
    Seem like CA really shortchanged Prussia, since they had arguably the best infantry of the period.

It makes playing Prussia, Sweden and Holland boring since they have no special units to recruit
    like England or France.

There must have been special line infantry regiments in all these countries. Seems like CA was just lazy.

I would also like to say that the campaign AI in this game sucks and does nothing. I don't think it can it even load troops onto a transport(Let me know if you have seen it do this)?

Does anyone else hate the broadside system? You have to click to reload every time to queue up shots, which turns into a frenzy of clicking in order for every ship in a large fleet to broadside (If you know a better way tell me!).

Also do your ships begin crashing into each other when you click the enemy fleet to attack?

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Default Re: No unique units for Big factions, Bad AI and Naval

*facepalm

You don't have to use broadside. At all. Don't use it if it is so unweildy.

Yes, the lack of naval invasions is disappointing, but it has been fixed many times before.

There are less units in general, but most line infantry differs in stats. Prussia has the second best infantry in the game.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

It would have been enough for it to have said "Prussian Line Infantry" instead of just Line Infantry, the Prussians eventually get Jaegers, the sad part about this is that they are the only unit with the distinctive cuff's of the Prussian armies, it would have been nice if we had a little tiny bit of variation in Line Infantry units, espescially because we spend most of our time looking at them.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Right!

Don’t use Broadsides, unless it is a very choice shot….leave the ships to their own devices.

The tactical AI does a much better job of aimed shots, so broadsides are usually a waist of time and hurt your efforts in the end.

As to unique and special units, we are blessed with a few but these will explode when we can finally mod the game.

It is time consuming and CA likely need to spend the time on other things.

As to transporting troops, I don’t think you will need to worry. I just hope they don’t make all the factions all invasion happy again.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

If it makes you feel any better, the Prussian Line Infantry have some of the game's best stats for the various line infantries. Britain leads in this.

Does anyone else hate the broadside system? You have to click to reload every time to queue up shots, which turns into a frenzy of clicking in order for every ship in a large fleet to broadside (If you know a better way tell me!).

Also do your ships begin crashing into each other when you click the enemy fleet to attack?
    *sigh*

You sound like those crazy thoughts that went through my mind when I got thrashed in the demo. First off: group your ships. Then put them in a line formation. They should all be lined up single-file. Make sure fire at will is on. Then click the group, and advance the ships. Try to direct them so that their broadsides will be facing the enemy. They should fire on their own. Oftentimes, I sometimes use take control of a ship to let off a broadside or to board an enemy.

DON'T CLICK ON THE ENEMY FLEET TO ATTACK. Just gently direct your ships in the group formation and try to bring them about so they can have clear shots at the enemy with fire at will ON. Play some custom battles with about 3-4 ships and practice this.

Prussia had no special elite infantry regiments with pompous names. Although you could discuss the decision to give British infantry the best stats (not many people in the 18th c. would have understood this imho), CA is correct not to create fancy Prussian infantry units. For Sweden and the other nations I'm not competent enough to say something.

Late in the game you get guard infantry for Prussia. The uniform for it is cruel (its the same for all nations guards) but you don't need better infantry. Name the guard Infanterieregiment 15 and you have all what the Prussians had. Or take three units and name them as battalions I./IR 15, II./IR 15 and III./IR 15.

That said my problem is more with the nearly nonexisting regional units in oversea. I would like to recruit different native mercenaries in the Americas, in India and Africa, perhaps also units from outside the map, like southeast Asian ones. It is ridiculous that I can recruit Prussian units in India. I nearly only use my Sepoys there and like them very much but more of it, like irregulars, would be fine. I hope for modders in the longer run.
    Last edited by geala; 03-13-2009 at 08:51.
    The queen commands and we'll obey
    Over the Hills and far away.
    (perhaps from an English Traditional, about 1700 AD)

Drum, Kinder, seid lustig und allesamt bereit:
    Auf, Ansbach-Dragoner! Auf, Ansbach-Bayreuth!
    (later chorus -containing a wrong regimental name for the Bayreuth-Dragoner (DR Nr. 5) - of the "Hohenfriedberger Marsch", reminiscense of a battle in 1745 AD, to the music perhaps of an earlier cuirassier march)

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

If you look closely, you may actualy be recrutiing colonial line infantry in your colonies. It certainly is the case with Britain and France. They may have only minor uniform differences between regular line inf, but their stats are different. The dutch have an extensive range of colonial-only infantry, based on the dutch traiding company's troops (europeans recruited on site).

I agree that it's silly to recruit native troops (incl tomahawk wielding melee inf) that look like Cherokee in new Andalucia... That is lazy.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

CA really should not have included broadsides, given all the confusion they have caused.

The game does have unique units for many factions. There could be more, yes, but most factions have them. Prussia and the UP seem to miss out in this case.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Well at least Prussia still has Prussian Jaegers, UP has no land unique unit
    My Balloons:

Playing as the Republiek der Zeven Verenigde Nederlanden

The actual UP flag

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wausser View Post
    Well at least Prussia still has Prussian Jaegers, UP has no land unique unit
    What famous units did they have during the period?

There will be DLC and also we may be able to mod some in, I just don’t know of any off hand.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    You sound like those crazy thoughts that went through my mind when I got thrashed in the demo. First off: group your ships. Then put them in a line formation. They should all be lined up single-file. Make sure fire at will is on. Then click the group, and advance the ships. Try to direct them so that their broadsides will be facing the enemy. They should fire on their own. Oftentimes, I sometimes use take control of a ship to let off a broadside or to board an enemy.

DON'T CLICK ON THE ENEMY FLEET TO ATTACK. Just gently direct your ships in the group formation and try to bring them about so they can have clear shots at the enemy with fire at will ON. Play some custom battles with about 3-4 ships and practice this.
    OMG NOOB. LIEK LRN 2 PLAY.

Yo0 jus7 n33d to m1cr0 4LL t3h sh1psz0rs . l13K m00ve d3m 1nd1v1d...1nd1v1di4L...by d3ms3Lv3$.

What I'm trying to get across here is that I find that microing each ship and changing its path is very effective. I have managed to do it with around 10 ships so far. I'm out of practice.

Also...I hope no one took that seriously...
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Antwerp for the moment and before that Arklow, Dublin, London, Lyon, Munich and .. well here and there basicly

I did see V.O.C infantry for UP in India, diffrent hats and everything didn't check the stats yet
    New lords, new laws

No path of flowers leads to glory, mine is paved with blood and gore

Lol you're right completely forgot about those fellas, but iirc they have lower stats then regular line infantry and they are only available in India.
    My Balloons:

The actual UP flag

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

They have the same stats as regular UP, Swedish, and Spanish line infantry.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Antwerp for the moment and before that Arklow, Dublin, London, Lyon, Munich and .. well here and there basicly

Thumbs up Re: No unique units for Big factions, Bad AI and Naval

when there comes a mod out that includes Suid Afrika (South Afrika) and Dutch indonesia and those places the VOC should also be able to be created there.

by any chance are there also W.I.C troops in the America's? would be cool
    New lords, new laws

No path of flowers leads to glory, mine is paved with blood and gore

Maybe DLC for new regions?

Haven't seen any particular W.I.C. units

@AVSM:

Yeah you're right, same stats as line infantry..
    My Balloons:

The actual UP flag