Thread: Anyone Have the AI Sue for peace?

Default Anyone Have the AI Sue for peace?

Beating up on Spain again . . . aside from anything they may have hidden in New Spain, they have no army or navy to speak off, have lost Sardinia, Madrid, and Brussels, and are barely holding on to their possessions in Italy. You'd think, maybe they might offer me something. . . ? Maybe not . . .
    "I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." Senator John Kerry, May 4, 2003

"It's the wrong war, in the wrong place at the wrong time." Senator John Kerry, 7 September, 2004

Default Re: Anyone Have the AI Sue for peace?

The AI never comes to you to make peace nor will it make peace with other AI factions as far as I have been able to tell. I have found that if you want a nation not to be locked in permanent war for the rest of the campaign it is best to not call your allies. Going to war 1 on 1 also works well because you can more easily 'persuade' the faction to become your protectorate when things go against them. I had Mysore propose to be my protectorate after I crushed their sally effort, so the AI will take this path occasionally.

Playing now as the French I have no allies and it is actually shaping up to be a very interesting late campaign as the majority of Europe has not been in any major war and I'm in the year 1725 or there about. Even the Crimean are still alive and well. There literally has not been any faction eliminated in Europe.

I am definately thinking this needs to go up there along with naval invasions as a priority AI issue. AI needs to be able to calculate when it has little to gain from continuing war and ask for peace . . . and on the other side, the AI nations need to be more predisposed to accept peace if continuing the war does no meet their objectives.
    "I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." Senator John Kerry, May 4, 2003

"It's the wrong war, in the wrong place at the wrong time." Senator John Kerry, 7 September, 2004

I faced in my early Prussian campaign a rather interesting incident (on m/h). I had war with Poland-Lithuania who made me many problems with small scale warfare. Then the question came whom I would support in the new war between Hanover and Sweden (both my allies). My thoughts were, please no Swedish warmongers in Hanover at my western border, so I sided with Hanover. A stupid decision because Hannover had attacked Sweden and taken Denmark from them. Because of greed and overestimation of my capabilities I attacked also Hanover to get this most beautyful of all human settlements , or better, get rid of her and access to Denmark and her rich harbours. So I had war with Hanover, small war with Poland and sea war with Sweden. The last blocked my only harbour and my economy was shaken. I invaded Sweden and was beaten by a (slightly) bigger Swedish army, what a shame.

Then, a great luck for me, the Swedish sued for peace! Maybe my incompetent but eager invasion had impressed them. More probably they had lost some battles against their many other foes and considered their odds (Sweden was at war with nearly everybody). Some times after that Poland accepted my pleading for peace, so I was able to concentrate my forces against Hanover.

Things like this had never happened in one of my campaigns in MTW, RTW, M2TW or EB.
    Last edited by geala; 03-13-2009 at 08:16.
    The queen commands and we'll obey
    Over the Hills and far away.
    (perhaps from an English Traditional, about 1700 AD)

Drum, Kinder, seid lustig und allesamt bereit:
    Auf, Ansbach-Dragoner! Auf, Ansbach-Bayreuth!
    (later chorus -containing a wrong regimental name for the Bayreuth-Dragoner (DR Nr. 5) - of the "Hohenfriedberger Marsch", reminiscense of a battle in 1745 AD, to the music perhaps of an earlier cuirassier march)

-I've had Westphalia offer a peace treaty and becoming protectorate.

I had Pueblo nation asking to become a Protectorate after they lost all their army in 2 battles and where besieged in their one and only city. However, they also demanded a 17.000 (denarii? ) compensation for this... Fail
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

Antwerp for the moment and before that Arklow, Dublin, London, Lyon, Munich and .. well here and there basicly

hmm playing with UP at the moment, went to war with Spain to get Brussels France joined in against me and all the allies of me went to war aswell, after a few turns offered peace to Spain I think a turn or 2 later Spain was no longer at war with my allies. France on the other hand was a diffrent story.
    It took a lot more to get them in peace I took paris and then they offered peace (accepted because they still had a bunch of full armies fighten a kingdom in italy (can't remember the name)

invaded Morocco a while later and after beating there army they offered to become a protectared declined and took over the country. the barbary states Fighted on to the last man.

I think it depends on the country and what the relation is with that country etc
    New lords, new laws

No path of flowers leads to glory, mine is paved with blood and gore

I've had peace offers from the Knights, the Italian States, Westphalia, and Spain. The minors all offered to become my protectorate. The Knights offered me money and Westphalia wanted me to pay them. Spain just offered a peace with no terms, but they did accept my counter-offer of ceding Cuba, Hispaniola, Sardinia, and Gibraltar.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had Prussia asking for peace and to become a protectorate in return for West Prussia. (It had no armies and only Berlin remaining)
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

So they will ask for peace if they are in extremely desperate situations, but has anyone tried giving them state gifts to get them to a high level of friendliness while at war to see if that change in attitude makes them more likely to offer a peace agreement (or at least more likely to agree to a reasonable offer from the player)?

Played 2 GC and never was i offered peace or becoming a protector.....

Blog Entries

It looks like a good base for CA to build a realistic diplomacy on.