Thread: a few questions about new units XL/Tyberius

Default a few questions about new units XL/Tyberius

does anyone use Mounted Nobles or Mounted Squires? i recently started an English campaign and i'm kinda conflicted on which mounted units to train in the years that heroes are supposed to emerge. it looks like Mounted Nobles are a compromise between RKs and Mounted Sgts(with less defense than MS or RK) and come in 30 man units, instead of 20 or 40(on default settings).is there any reason to use them instead of RKs or Mounted SGts? i can see where Mounted Squires might be usefull, especially to factions like the English, since it seems like they're mounted missile units but i haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

Regular Bowmen- it looks like they're basically Longbowmen without the AP arrows. is this accurate? if so, does that make them superior to most of the other archer units in the game (Bulgarian Brigands, Bohemian Bowmen, Trebezoid Archers,etc)? does the same go for Norse Archers?

Militia Council(sp?)- are they basically regular spearmen, minus the large shields?

if there's any other units that anyone wants to discuss in this thread, go for it. i'm sure that there's probably several other new units that have been added that i haven't had a chance to use yet.

Default Re: a few questions about new units XL/Tyberius

I use mounted squires to get a mounted missle unit. They are a useful unit.

Have you noticed the upkeep of Squires? They are not worth spitting on.

Regular Bowmen are similar to Genoese Sailors. Bohemians are much better by means of their melee ability and range.
    And they cannot pierce armour, from what I have seen.

The Spanish Militia are excellent units, similar to Feudal Sergeants.

Certainly the best new unit I have seen and used is the Andalucian Cavalry.
    They can defeat any European cavalry and they will destroy all infantry by means of their javelins - the Andalucians are somewhat like strong mounted sergeants with javelins.
    They are perfect.

i can definitely see how mounted squires would be usefull but i don't know about mounted nobles. the upkeep on them is about 50% more than a unit of mounted seargents, even though the stats look pretty similar and there's 10 fewer men in a unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

Regular Bowmen are similar to Genoese Sailors. Bohemians are much better by means of their melee ability and range.
    And they cannot pierce armour, from what I have seen.

The Spanish Militia are excellent units, similar to Feudal Sergeants.

Certainly the best new unit I have seen and used is the Andalucian Cavalry.
    They can defeat any European cavalry and they will destroy all infantry by means of their javelins - the Andalucians are somewhat like strong mounted sergeants with javelins.
    They are perfect.
    ITA about Andalucian Cavalry. they're great. i'll have to try a campaign with the Spanish. i usually go with Aragon but Castile Leon looks way more appealing with the Tyberius patch installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    True enough but some factions have no alternative. I have played enough Muslim and Eastern factions to place a high value on mounted missle troops.

Squires can do everything pretty well. I guess that's why they're so expensive.

Like yourself, I'm an Eastern-style player, so I tend to veer towards mounted missiles where possible, even subconsciously, haha...