Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Good News, It Seems.

"I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." Senator John Kerry, May 4, 2003

"It's the wrong war, in the wrong place at the wrong time." Senator John Kerry, 7 September, 2004

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Some Good News, It Seems.

This is why steam is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

I like the part where he said "this isn't the M2TW team, this is the EMPIRE TEAM"

Its almost like they read all our gripes and got working on it right then and there

fingers crossed they dont ruin the game with crazy naval invasions !

good news games still awesome tho :D
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

-=LotU=- Battalion Commander Member yankeefan05's Avatar

I am happy the ETW team is so community friendly and actually interacts with the community. Thanks for the good news.

fingers crossed they dont ruin the game with crazy naval invasions !
    If they put in too many naval invasions, at least you can still prevent them through naval battles, too many beats none at all!

It is really good to see that CA is listening to the gaming community. There have been so many good games that could have been great games had the developers just listened to their customers, it seems CA may be taking this step.
    Last edited by Ardri; 03-14-2009 at 00:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Marquis of Roland View Post
    I like the part where he said "this isn't the M2TW team, this is the EMPIRE TEAM"

Its almost like they read all our gripes and got working on it right then and there
    Well, M2TW was more polished than this game. They didn't need to go right back to the drawing board to make the game functional.

Still all the love for ETW team!
    'Hannibal had been the victor at Cannae, and as if the Romans had good cause to boast that you have only strength enough for one blow, and that like a bee that has left its sting you are now inert and powerless.'

Already saw this. The cake is a lie.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh..................jk.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeSting View Post
    Well, M2TW was more polished than this game. They didn't need to go right back to the drawing board to make the game functional.

Still all the love for ETW team!
    theres a difference between being functional and personal like/dislike. the game works, and is playable and most people enjoy it. while it has some bugs they dont make the game unplayable and many people still enjoy it.

just because u dislike the game in its current state does not make it any less functional for everyone else :)

If they put in too many naval invasions, at least you can still prevent them through naval battles, too many beats none at all!
    this is true, but it would make the game more painful if u see crazy naval invasions a la M2TW post w/e patch it was.

It is really good to see that CA is listening to the gaming community. There have been so many good games that could have been great games had the developers just listened to their customers, it seems CA may be taking this step.
    yes this is good news lets hope they do listen tho :)

Cheers knoddy
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

Regarding invasions and fixing them - I dunno, I'm kinda cautious. There are so many factions in this game, major and minor, and so many ships everywhere, and so many war theatres, that if not balanced right it might get completely chaotic very fast.

Of course it's not right for France to walk around Paris 3 full stacks a whole campaign while London stays completely undefended, but I won't be happy to have Morocco, Savoy and Mathras invade US, for instance, while US is en route for Istanbul, Venice and the barbary states.

CA, thank you for listening to us, but please be careful.
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

Nothing on mod tolls Oh well still good news any update is a good thing. Can't wait for boarding to actually work properly.( Fifth rates don't get beaten by Indiaman)

Last I checked lots of people are still getting video memory crash, they didnt fix it. SLI doesnt work.
    And when the brazen cry of achilles
    Was heard among the trojans, all their hearts
    Were troubled, and the full-maned horses whirled
    The chariots backward, knowing griefs at hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Tzepes View Post
    Regarding invasions and fixing them - I dunno, I'm kinda cautious. There are so many factions in this game, major and minor, and so many ships everywhere, and so many war theatres, that if not balanced right it might get completely chaotic very fast.

Of course it's not right for France to walk around Paris 3 full stacks a whole campaign while London stays completely undefended, but I won't be happy to have Morocco, Savoy and Mathras invade US, for instance, while US is en route for Istanbul, Venice and the barbary states.

CA, thank you for listening to us, but please be careful.
    Well, obviously, its a balancing act . . . but, I'd rather have too many than too few. As it is now, the Navy's are somewhat irrelevent, and the sea-based power, Great Britain especially, of course, but also France, Spain, Portugal, and United Provinces are handicapped (as AI) or too easy (as human) because of the lack of AI amphibious activity.
    "I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." Senator John Kerry, May 4, 2003

"It's the wrong war, in the wrong place at the wrong time." Senator John Kerry, 7 September, 2004

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NimitsTexan View Post
    Well, obviously, its a balancing act . . . but, I'd rather have too many than too few. As it is now, the Navy's are somewhat irrelevent, and the sea-based power, Great Britain especially, of course, but also France, Spain, Portugal, and United Provinces are handicapped (as AI) or too easy (as human) because of the lack of AI amphibious activity.
    Obviously this is a game breaker for many many people. Too many spam invasions is just a distraction and everyone should not be loading on boats heading off to India or the Caribbean.

A few islands changing hands is one thing but everyone with a port putting to sea to attack everything they can find is just silly and it would ruin the game.

The game needs to strike a balance. This is not Civ on a make believe world. A little restraint in allowing them would be wonderful.

Two games spoiled with them is enough already.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Obviously this is a game breaker for many many people. Too many spam invasions is just a distraction and everyone should not be loading on boats heading off to India or the Caribbean.

A few islands changing hands is one thing but everyone with a port putting to sea to attack everything they can find is just silly and it would ruin the game.

The game needs to strike a balance. This is not Civ on a make believe world. A little restraint in allowing them would be wonderful.

Two games spoiled with them is enough already.
    Well, obviously we all would like it implemented in a realistic and balanced fashion, but for many, the complete lack of Amphibious Activity is a game breaker as well.

And, personally, I always though the M2TW campaign AI was decent . . . it certainly seemed more challenging than this one.

Regarding invasions and fixing them - I dunno, I'm kinda cautious.
    It wasn't just invasions, but people were saying the AI doesn't use ships to transport troops at all...so it can't even reinforce its own territories overseas (not verified if this is true or not). So the three whole stacks around Paris can't be used by the AI to beef up Quebec, or wherever else they may be needed unless they can walk there. Certainly we don't need to fear this particular aspect being fixed.

To me, it would be great to see a quick fix for the fact that in land battles, enemy reinforcements come in to the battle behind you, instead of relative to where they are on the campaign map. That would be top on my list.

It wasn't just invasions, but people were saying the AI doesn't use ships to transport troops at all...so it can't even reinforce its own territories overseas (not verified if this is true or not).
    Based on my personal experience I'd have to say that this is in fact true. I've never seen an AI fleet with troops on it.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

The AI not being able to transport units is more or less a confirmed bug.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

I'm filled with quiet optimism, can't wait for next week.

Quote Originally Posted by IsItStillThere View Post
    To me, it would be great to see a quick fix for the fact that in land battles, enemy reinforcements come in to the battle behind you, instead of relative to where they are on the campaign map. That would be top on my list.
    Yes I agree that the reinforcements need top priority.

I also know that the British and French in particular need to transport troops and attempt invasions. I just don’t think the AI should waist troops on hopeless causes if it lacks the power to make it work.

Invasion fleets should seek to avoid battle and escape interception.

I think that would be the mark of a smarter AI and a good leader would seek to do the same unless he had overwhelming force to back him up.

As to the game and how it is going;

What some of you guys remember and what I remember about the release of RTW & M2TW must be a lot different.

I was there at both and they got the same sorts of gripes this one is. I am not saying the problems where the same, but the gripes and endless bug this and bug that were just the same.

M2 in particular took for ever to get anything done. Actually they never really fixed the 2 Hand bug or the pikes, did they…

Many of the fixes started with the Mod community and our members right here. That is how Jack Lusted was noticed by CA and hired.

This game has much more depth and a much wider scope than any of the previous titles. It may have a few more teething problems than the others but they seem to be on top of most of them, and when they are done, I think this team will give us a flawless game.

Mark Twain

when they are done, I think this team will give us a flawless game.
    Call me an idealist, but it is my opinion that a game should be done prior to being released. Obviously there will be some minor issues that pop up, but the degree of bugs in ETW (and many other games for that matter) just shouldn't ever make it to release. Seems like these companies should have more pride in their products they are producing. And now I'll step off my soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardri View Post
    Call me an idealist, but it is my opinion that a game should be done prior to being released. Obviously there will be some minor issues that pop up, but the degree of bugs in ETW (and many other games for that matter) just shouldn't ever make it to release. Seems like these companies should have more pride in their products they are producing. And now I'll step off my soapbox.
    Who would want to disagree with that!?

But I am afraid that we are stuck with what we are seeing industry wide.

I think the days of the 3 month beta test are long gone and in a security conscious world, the games industry is not exception.

In house testing only gets you so far, and when it is your baby you are looking at, it is tough to be completely objective not to mention the lack of broad platform trials.

You can’t blame them if they fear pirates or theft of code. We saw what happened just with the demo trials.

It is a shame that it isn’t perfect, but you can’t find a lot to complain about the level of support and commitment they are showing.
    Last edited by Fisherking; 03-14-2009 at 22:22.

Mark Twain

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Tzepes View Post
    while US is en route for Istanbul, Venice and the barbary states.
    Well, the U.S. invading the Barbary States isn't so absurd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Derne

"From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli..."

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    Well, the U.S. invading the Barbary States isn't so absurd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Derne
    Does this forum allows/supports embeding videos?

What some of you guys remember and what I remember about the release of RTW & M2TW must be a lot different.

I was there at both and they got the same sorts of gripes this one is.
    I think you are right, I distinctly remember the "AI not transporting troops by sea" bug in the original release of M2TW. After one of the patches, the AI suddenly was doing by sea invasions, etc (and we all rejoiced, at least I did).

found the old thread:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...born+invasions
    Last edited by IsItStillThere; 03-15-2009 at 00:15.

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinxit View Post
    Does this forum allows/supports embeding videos?
    I don't know. Why?

I don't think making the AI more likely to transport troops by sea would result in spamming ridiculous invasions everywhere so long as factions maintain fleets patrolling their coasts. This is a reason why the new "zone of control" feature is so good. Unlike M2TW, when Portugal would show up in Ireland with a handful of spearmen every so often regardless of whether you had a ship off Ireland's coast, you can now put fleets out to patrol your coast and the invading force will have to engage your fleets before landing their armies. That should ensure the naval invasions don't get too ridiculous, unless you don't guard your own coastline, which is your own fault ....
    An E:TW AAR on the American Revolution: The Long March of Liberty

I'd have more faith in CA if I hadn't been at turn 169 with less than 15 years to go to finish a game and was pushing for region number 64 when my save file corrupted. Attempted 17 games and I haven't finished one yet. This is the first game that I have gotten past turn 75. ~sigh~

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I don't think making the AI more likely to transport troops by sea would result in spamming ridiculous invasions everywhere so long as factions maintain fleets patrolling their coasts. This is a reason why the new "zone of control" feature is so good. Unlike M2TW, when Portugal would show up in Ireland with a handful of spearmen every so often regardless of whether you had a ship off Ireland's coast, you can now put fleets out to patrol your coast and the invading force will have to engage your fleets before landing their armies. That should ensure the naval invasions don't get too ridiculous, unless you don't guard your own coastline, which is your own fault ....
    This is quite true . . . France would have been "spamming" alot more invasions of England if the British Navy were all over in India and America all the time.

And if you look at it, various European factions did attempt or plan multiple invasions of Britain, both during the time period of the game and immediately before and after. That none were successful (or landed troops in England itself) had alot to do with the Royal Navy.

The Brits, on the other hand, tended to "spam" invasions all over the coasts of Europe. It was just sort of their thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast