Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Total War Possibilities

Default Next Total War Possibilities

Okay, I think by now, enough total war players have played Empire enough to know that it's a steaming pile of horse maneur. Naval combat is visually spectacular, but the land battles, lack of a multiplayer chatroom, lack of the option to input currency, ridiculously large and simplistic campaign map, and a number of bugs makes it a mediocre game. I do appreciate the CA team for trying their hardest to appease the fans, but I really don't think they developed it enough. I'd like to see everyone's opinions on the next total war and if it would be possible to expand from Shogun; possibly make an Asia: Total War? Asia has such a rich history, so many personalities to choose from, and so many violent and turbulent eras to work with that I can't possibly see a reason for why CA would pass up the opportunity to start working with Asia. And also, since I have asianic heritage, I'd rather like to have the opportunity to spread yellow fever across the entire Pacific, possibly into Europe. European Imperialism makes me angry and I want to carve up Europe with an Asian nation, damnit!
    Last edited by Gourmet; 03-14-2009 at 03:20.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Exclamation Re: Next Total War Possibilities

There has been numerous threads like this before. Usually people point out that the consumers are not as interested in Asian history as they might be in Roman history, Napoleonic Wars, and Medieval Europe.

Also, what I usually say is that if the game becomes popular in Asia, more specifically in South East Asia or China, CA will not receive money from those regions anyway, due to the high amount of piracy there. There are vendors selling pirated CDs everywhere in those countries. Just like in Russia. Which is why Asia: or Russia: Total Wars are not coming out any time soon...

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Default Re: Next Total War Possibilities

I would be happy with a (better) ETW that encompassed the whole world.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Rome 2 Total War, using the ETW engine, is the logical next step. Ancient naval battles would be really cool.
    Completed campaigns:
    Vanilla Carthage
    BI Sassanids
    EB 1.1 Casse

"I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."
    -Nancy Reagan at an anti-drug rally.

Have they finally managed to create a worthwhile diplomacy system at least?

I think they are running out of possibilities. They can't already go forward in history, because more recent ages have a totally different warfare and, as was pointed out, Asian history is not something they will be successful in selling. If there will be another Total War game it will most likely be Rome 3, or Dark Ages or something (considering that Dark Ages were only slightly covered by the BI add-on).

Quote Originally Posted by penguinking View Post
    Rome 2 Total War, using the ETW engine, is the logical next step. Ancient naval battles would be really cool.
    This may be cool, but that tech tree is not fun and the way you build things in the city and province needs a little work

I would like to see them hire the EB team to work for them as professional game designers so RTW2 would be a thing of beauty. Failing that, I just hope that whatever they release, they make it as moddable as possible so the afformentioned EB team we love so much can turn whatever piece of junk they release into a true historical simulation. That being said, I have no ill-will toward CA, without RTW there would be no EB. The most likely next step for CA will be a couple of expansions for ETW.
    "Insipientis est dicere, Non putarvm."

"It is the part of a fool to say, I should not have thought."
    -Pvblivs Cornelivs Scipio Africanvs

Lives: Pvblivs Cornelivs Scipio (A Romani AAR)
    Lives: Alkyoneus Argeades (A Makedonian AAR)

Quote Originally Posted by Africanvs View Post
    I would like to see them hire the EB team to work for them as professional game designers so RTW2 would be a thing of beauty. Failing that, I just hope that whatever they release, they make it as moddable as possible so the afformentioned EB team we love so much can turn whatever piece of junk they release into a true historical simulation. That being said, I have no ill-will toward CA, without RTW there would be no EB. The most likely next step for CA will be a couple of expansions for ETW.
    I agree with u i also have no ill will twords CA but and total war but their historical accuracy is sometimes quit laughable ( point and case Byzantium in medieval total war 2 none of the byzantine infantry are correct) and the same is true for several factions on their other games. i keep getting the feeling every time i play vanilla that they rushed the game like they were just in a hurry to get the game on the market. idk y they would tho its not like they have any real competitiion.

In reference to the next total war game i think its going to be a American Civil war expansion or a Napoleon expansion. I would love to see a remake of Shogun Total war but as u guys pointed out above prolly not. The next full total war game im think is Rome Total war II and as u guys mentioned above they had better employ the EB team so that the end product is better than last times. And in their next full game i pray to god that the either cange/ revamp the AI so that its like ur actually negotiating with and waging war against another country and not 4 year old...

I wouldn't hold my breath on CA employing the EB team or doing anything similar to EB with their next Rome game (if it is in the plans). EB is the mod for a niche audience, for history fans. For general strategy game consumer it will look most likely as long, overcomplicated, confusing and tbh, pretty overwhelming. I only hope that their next Rome game will be very flexible and the EB team could create another great mod with it

I think EB proved that "historical accuracy" doesn't have to be boring. Tbh the units in EB looks ten times cooler than the units in vanilla Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmet View Post
    Okay, I think by now, enough total war players have played Empire enough to know that it's a steaming pile of horse maneur. Naval combat is visually spectacular, but the land battles, lack of a multiplayer chatroom, lack of the option to input currency, ridiculously large and simplistic campaign map, and a number of bugs makes it a mediocre game. I do appreciate the CA team for trying their hardest to appease the fans, but I really don't think they developed it enough. I'd like to see everyone's opinions on the next total war and if it would be possible to expand from Shogun; possibly make an Asia: Total War? Asia has such a rich history, so many personalities to choose from, and so many violent and turbulent eras to work with that I can't possibly see a reason for why CA would pass up the opportunity to start working with Asia. And also, since I have asianic heritage, I'd rather like to have the opportunity to spread yellow fever across the entire Pacific, possibly into Europe. European Imperialism makes me angry and I want to carve up Europe with an Asian nation, damnit!
    You tried and failed.
    We absorbed or annihilated Asian attempts to enslave us.

VIVE L'EUROPE!

Μηδεν εωρακεναι φoβερωτερον και δεινοτερον φαλλαγγος μακεδονικης

If done well - Asia would be great. Problem is, I don't think it would be done well.

To me - probably the worst design decision they made (and they started this route with BI) was to speed up the game. Less cities, faster turns, let's get to the action quickly. The 14 yr olds might get bored might be a sound marketing decision but makes (for me) a less involved and fun game. Might as well drop the campaign map entirely and just script a series of land or naval battles - ie. make it a pure action game.

Steam, the tournaments, the general MP play - it seems to be where the focus is and lets face it - it's far cheaper and subject to less criticism overall (I'm guessing) than trying to program a decent AI on a complex and involved campaign map.

EB - campaigns take weeks to months (for me.) Less time with vanilla but still days / weeks.

ETW - finished in a day or 2.

That's not an accident.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IrishHitman View Post
    You tried and failed.
    We absorbed or annihilated Asian attempts to enslave us.

VIVE L'EUROPE!

There are still more of us than there are of you.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Funny, I'd always associated you with Britain, munky.

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    There are still more of us than there are of you.
    You're not united :P

And your manufacturing capabilities are being transfered to Asia.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Oh, really? >:D
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

I'm being silly because Irish is being silly. Don't take that as a cue for an outsourcing debate.

I was being silly too. I'm Asian. It was a response to Irish.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

And while Europe and Asia vie for supremacy the Bartixians are waiting in their diamond moon bases for the time to reclaim what is rightfully theirs.

Elephantoi shall rain from the sky!
    Last edited by bobbin; 03-17-2009 at 12:36.

ERROR READING USER PROFILE Member AqD's Avatar

Talking Re: Next Total War Possibilities

What about Ice Age: Total War? Naked barbarians against Mammuthus and the birth of battle tactics!

Tech Tree: "Fire, Wheel, Soap"

You've achieved to gather a whole lot of offtopic here, guys

I have no secret knowledge of any kind and I'm not too familiar with any official statements, but I would think that the next TW would be another one in a gunpowder age background, so they could reuse the ETW engine without changing too much. Napoleon could be a good possibility for an addon, while I'd like to see a game that begins where Medieval ends: with warfare with Pike and Musket, the Tercio, Gewalthaufen, you know what I mean. A game that would include the religious conflicts in the 16th and 17th century, namely 30 years war, and the turkish attacks on Austria could be interesting.

Aside from this speculation, I'd like to see a Shogun 2, too. The variety is not so great, because all Clans share the same culture, but I remember Shogun 1 as the vanilla game with the most authentic and thrilling atmosphere, yet.
    Besides, I can't understand how anyone can not like Samurai and Ninjas

And a last point: The latest period which I could imagine in a TW game would be the american civil war, if at all. Everything later just doesn't fit anymore.
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    And your manufacturing capabilities are being transfered to Asia.
    No, that's just the US.
    We have Eastern Europe for all our cheap labour needs.
    Now they're whinging because we want it back.

THIS IS SARKOZY!!!!!

Excuse me, I have some whiskey to attend to.
    Last edited by IrishHitman; 03-17-2009 at 15:34.

America doesn't have horrible unemployment and tons of marginalized Muslim imigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysimachos View Post
    Besides, I can't understand how anyone can not like Samurai and Ninjas
    Bah, poor foot soldiers. Their only use is to get hunted down and impaled by the kontos of my cataphracts!

Why does nobody mention Silk Road: Total War?

It should be set in 1AD, beginning from Han china, Mongol/Xiongnu, Bactria (already dead?), India, Saka, Parthians, Dacians, and eventually Romans and Germans!

I can't wait to play chinese crossbowmen vs legionaires...
    Last edited by AqD; 03-17-2009 at 16:46.

Hm... does anyone want to start a China vs. Rome discussion?

I'll be waiting quietly...
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

sure. Roma Victor. The chinese would be so eager fighting each other, that they didn't realize that the romans are conquering them
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Nah, by 1AD china was unified, all under one emperor! Although it faced great internal crisis at that point of time. But romans wouldn't be able to pass iran and steppe anyway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast