Thread: Shield Logic

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Shield Logic

I was wondering why Phalangite shields are rated better than Hoplite Aspises when phalangite sized shields are rated at 1-2 and full body thueros are 3-4 for other units. I know the team was going for some sort of 'Sarissa Shield' but isn't that already built in? And I just don't buy the 'skill' argument because they can't use it when poking. I could see phalangite armor points transfered to shield to make them weaker from behind but still keep them(too) missile proof.

Since this is all conjecture on my part, I was curious as to why exactly phalangites are given more shield than they should in EB.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Default Re: Shield Logic

I'm pretty sure it is the effect of the sarissa, when did RTW ever put that stat in?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Re: Shield Logic

I think its a default thing with the phalanx formation. I don't think anyone really knows though.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Shield Logic

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    I think its a default thing with the phalanx formation. I don't think anyone really knows though.
    No, it was done on purpose. Partly because the phalangites operating in the missile-dominated east never seemed to suffer heavily when approaching enemy lines, and partly to simulate their dependency on formation by making them stronger from the front and weaker from the rear. It's sometimes claimed that the phalanx-formation would deflect incoming projectiles, but I don't think it had a major effect. Perhaps the angle at which the shield was held made it perfect for intercepting falling arrows.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!