Thread: Intel I7 a big leap in processors?

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Intel I7 a big leap in processors?

Here is a review of the fairly recent I7 chipset released by Intel. Is this really as big a leap as I've heard? Will processing really improve substantially over, say, a hardcore quad core?
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Default Re: Intel I7 a big leap in processors?

Well, I have heard people who play Empire say this is one of the few processors that uses all it's cores (four).

from the benchmarks I saw on release it was not impressive to me but then impressive is subjective and I haven't really looked at any newer benchmarks, mostly because gaming performance is more limited by graphicscards nowadays so the CPU isn't all that important as long as it's reasonably new.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don't bother with I7 if you are making a computer from scratch for a gaming rig, it's the last of the 45mn processors. At this rate, wait for the release of the 35mn processors which will come out in 6months-year's time.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

What's got me drooling is the prospect of a serious price drop in the LGA 775 compatible processors once the I7 gains popularity. My gaming beast has life in her yet ...

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

i7 is very good, but far too expensive as a platform.

i5 that arrives in Q3 will have all the same grunt at a much reduced cost.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Got my eye on them Yorkfield CPUs. They're already looking more attractive in terms of price, and that can only improve as enthusiasts migrate to the I7 and I5.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

s775 is a dead platform now, if you don't need to buy in the next four months then i would hold till Intel release i5 and AMD have an AM3 Phenom II at 3.2GHz.

either of those will be awesome platforms at a reasonable price.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the input guys.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Got my eye on them Yorkfield CPUs. They're already looking more attractive in terms of price, and that can only improve as enthusiasts migrate to the I7 and I5.
    Thanks to your advice I learned enough to chose the 2.86 ghz with 12mb cache on my own. They are dropping the rig off on saturday.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    They are dropping the rig off on saturday.
    Pics or it didn't happen! Show us the fruits of your labors, man!