Thread: a few words from a CA staffer

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default a few words from a CA staffer

found this on the official forums, addressed to the community:

Quote Originally Posted by Granville69
    Please have faith in us. The campaign AI team are fixing invasions and other issues. The battle team is fixing fort pathfinding and naval avoidance and boarding etc. The sound team are fixing sound issues and the graphics team are fixing display issues. We've fixed the video problems. We do have a presence on these boards contrary to what has been said. I have posted a number of times.
    This isn't the Medieval II team, this is the Empire team and we'll deliver patches via steam quicker than for any previous total war game. Yes we recognise steam has created it's fair share of problems for some people but one great advantage of steam is we can get fixes to you much quicker.
    I can't give you a list of every fix that's been done, because I don't have a definitive list, that is forthcoming.
    btw Granville69 is a CA staffer.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: a few words from a CA staffer

Already been posted, but thanks for the thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

o really? oops.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 03-15-2009 at 16:22.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

The thing is that many of the bugs should have been caught and fixed *before* release. The obvious ones anyway. CA has a long history of this type of problem in their Tw series. It doesnt matter wether its a new team or an old team. They are still doing business the old way and this is what is making the TW fans angry.

Quote Originally Posted by Skott View Post
    The thing is that many of the bugs should have been caught and fixed *before* release. The obvious ones anyway. CA has a long history of this type of problem in their Tw series. It doesnt matter wether its a new team or an old team. They are still doing business the old way and this is what is making the TW fans angry.

I agree that buying a buggy software kinda suck, but i also understand the dilema of software development. It is the big war between the dev team and the marketting team and the root of the conflict is that most of the time it is the marketting/publishing team that set the dreaded deadline (i myself is working on a sunday right now to meet a deadline) and that the dev team have little to say about it although they make all the real work to achieve the deadline.

So long they keep pumping the patch at the pace they did in the past weeks, they have my full support and recognition for the good work they're doing. (So much games never got properly fixed)

I wonder if they get the same ads when they come to this forum: the "Visual Studio Team System": an orc smash to bits an old style clock symbolizing the deadline. DIE deadline URGGG!! Always make me laugh.
    Last edited by Melvish; 03-15-2009 at 19:03.
    I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends. ---Abraham Lincoln

And still no mention of plans to fix the MP connection problem.

Pretty much shows CA don't care about MP. They should really just leave a MP option out in future instead of offering a half arsed poor excuse for MP.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus View Post
    And still no mention of plans to fix the MP connection problem.

Pretty much shows CA don't care about MP. They should really just leave a MP option out in future instead of offering a half arsed poor excuse for MP.
    Don't worry they'll get to it (if they are not already working on it!), it just right now they kinda have their hands full with all those bugs in the list. It's not because Granville69 did not mention it in his short post that they are not planning to fix it (or are in the process of fixing it). If it as been reported and it affects lots of people you can bet it is pretty high up on the todo list.

I know i sound a bit enthusiast about this game but it think, IMHO, that ETW is the first step (gameplay wise) in the right direction since MTW1/VI .
    Last edited by Melvish; 03-15-2009 at 18:56.
    I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends. ---Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Skott View Post
    It's the standard in software development, period. If companies delay their games till all their bugs were fixed, the lack of revenue would probably have a negative impact on that project, as well as any future ones. Not to mention, limited Beta Test teams aside, alot of problems (both bugs and design flaws) are going to show up once you exponintially expand the player base with a release.

And, before we get all sentimental about the way things use to be, the number of games that release in an almost completely bug free condition are quite small. Some of Sid Meier's projects come to mind, and some early Microsoft-published games. On the other hand, most ambitious and complex history-themed games (sims and wargames alike) from any era of computer publishing, were chock full of bugs. I am think of, among others: Fields of Glory, American Civil War, Wargamer: Napoleon 1813, Great Naval Battles: North Atlantic, Falcon 4.0, and the list goes on.

I am not saying I like the fact, but I believe it is the inevitable price we pay for more complex games.
    "I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." Senator John Kerry, May 4, 2003

"It's the wrong war, in the wrong place at the wrong time." Senator John Kerry, 7 September, 2004

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

PC games have never been that stable, compared to that of a game console.

If you want games that never basically required updating, dust off the ol'console games. (Xbox360, etc not included as they got updates via xbox live)
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Ha ha!

The first computer game I ever played was on a TRS 80 and it was on a cassett tape. And it was buged.

In the early days of computer gaming we didn’t have patches!

In the early days we didn’t have internet and on-line meant going to a bulletin board. Patches were almost impossible to distribute and games with bugs kept the bugs and you lived with them or found a way around.

At least today patches are easier than ever and this level of support is unprecedented. And they listen to us instead of ignoring all the moans and complaints for months.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

yur old dude!

So am I! I remember my first modem. 1200/75 baud each bulletin board had a different phone number you had to dial. No way you could download anything. Ah the fun of games on audio tape, fiddling with the volume control at bad points on the tape so you could get the damn thing to load! Ah the memories!

Remember "downloading" games from the radio? Basically they played the program and you recorded it on a cassette and occasionaly it even worked

No, things aren't so bad now at all!! And I agree, the problem is not the programmers it's the marketing schedule.
    Old warriors know more tricks!

Yeah, I can remember my first computer back in the 20th Century. It was powered by a squirrel.
    Our greatest glory lies not in never having fallen, but in rising every time we fall. Oliver Goldsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ovaat View Post
    Yeah, I can remember my first computer back in the 20th Century. It was powered by a squirrel.
    You must have been nuts to buy it
    Old warriors know more tricks!

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

And with that pun (truly Gregoshi-esque, by the way), I'd say this thread is done.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone