Thread: Looking for advice: Where to go next?

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default Looking for advice: Where to go next?

Hey guys!

I'm taking a break from writing Guides, I want to see what the next patch does AI and staregic-wise before I commit to writing another faction walkthrough. If you haven't read any of mine I've written two so far, one for Prussia and one for France. You can also submit your own for whatever faction you'd like in the ETW guides forum!

Okat okay, enough of my little advert, now onto the reason for this thread! Really I'm stumped. Last night I played my first marathon session of ETW. It was the first time the game sucked me in and kept me playing for more than two hours at a time, I was very pleased. I ended up at 1724 after utterly destroying the Ottoman Empire, a task that was more monumental than it was difficult.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Isn't that just beautiful?

Knowing their naval numbers couldn't be matched I didn't try, I took a page from Alexander the Great's strategy book. If you can't fight their navy one on one, take all their harbors! So that's exactly what I did, it was hard going there for a while and I suffered a few losses that really set me back (A full stack was destroyed trying to take Istanbul) But I managed to eventually win out.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

There's something poetic about this, I think. Not an enemy ship for miles.

The only problem is when Western Europe saw how I stomped all over the Ottoman's Empire, they really didn't like that. I think they are afraid I'll come for them next. They're too smart for their own good. The only two allies i have are Austria (who helped me win the war) and Poland (A fair weather friend.) Sweden is getting restless in the north, I've been keeping them happy with State Gifts but I can't keep doing that forever. Persia has also been raiding my eastern borders. They lack the numbers to take any of my power centers but I'm really feeling the squeeze.

Venice and I share Greece, but they hate me. They, like all of western Europe, see my expansion as a serious threat. It's only a matter of time until that distrust turns to hostility.

On the home front, the people are crying out for reform. Both the nobility and the lower classes mutter whispers of discontent. I've been keeping them preoccupied with entertainment but I'm not sure how much longer I can keep the talk from becoming action. I'm making 13k surpluss a turn.

Anyone have advice about where the eyes of Imperial Russia should set upon next?
    Last edited by Monk; 03-15-2009 at 16:42.

Default Re: Looking for advice: Where to go next?

Go for the warm seas, Russia always dreamt about them, from Peter the Great. Persia, India... lots of opportunities to have the East hate Kremlin as well
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Well go for a real adventure! Go to Persia and at the same time slap Prussia.

You are a big boy now, I am sure it won’t be that much of a challenge.

Prussia is only nat size to you now…

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Well go for a real adventure! Go to Persia and at the same time slap Prussia.

You are a big boy now, I am sure it won’t be that much of a challenge.

Prussia is only nat size to you now…
    Have you played Russia's campaign? It's very fun, I highly recommend it. Early going the Crimean was a pain, it took eight years of bitter war, numerous skirmishes and two colossally bloody battles on a battlefield I have affectionately dubbed "Hangman's Ford" before they were done.

Persia will be an easy target, the only challenge is getting troops in place and garrisoning their holdings. Maybe I'll make them a protectorate.

Prussia could be more of a challenge, not really for the fact of how strong they are. Mainly I just want to avoid upsetting Sweden, a war with them could ignite World War I.
    Last edited by Monk; 03-15-2009 at 17:03.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Oh Monk!

Don’t rub salt in my wounds, if you please! My copy of the game, which I preordered (the SF edition) three months ago, seems to have been misplaced by the Royal Mail or some other postal agency, and I am still awaiting delivery. It is a bit hard to convince my wife to by one while I wait for the other…

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

go into india. theres massive wealth there.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Oh Monk!

Don’t rub salt in my wounds, if you please! My copy of the game, which I preordered (the SF edition) three months ago, seems to have been misplaced by the Royal Mail or some other postal agency, and I am still awaiting delivery. It is a bit hard to convince my wife to by one while I wait for the other…

My bad Fisherking, I had forgotten you're still waiting on your copy. Maybe you should consider just selling it on eBay or something when it arrives and invest in another copy?