Thread: Revolution?

Default Revolution?

Ok, I thought there was another thread covering this but I can't seem to find it (given I'm working and didn't have a lot of time.).

Anyway, I'm playing an Austrian GC on H/H. I'm really getting tired of my discontent populace wasting my time, money (I have to keep changing the tax rates and exempting regions from taxes), and resources. I just want a revolution to happen so I can get it over with. I can't even go to war since my armies are completely tied up in my cities playing babysitter. How do I go about making it happen? Do I just pull my armies out the cities, crank taxes to the max, and sit back and wait a few turns?

Thanks to anyone who can offer some good advice.

Note: I have one church, one entertainment building, and one school per region. I did play catch-up with the churches and entertainment buildings but they have all been established for 10+ turns and it doesn’t seem to be helping much.
    I see stupid people....walking around like regular people....they don't even know they're stupid.

Default Re: Revolution?

answer = yes

Yeah taxes to the max and make sure there's no big army in the area of Vienna
    My Balloons:

Playing as the Republiek der Zeven Verenigde Nederlanden

The actual UP flag

Lord of all Under-Thumb Member Jason X's Avatar

1) crank up taxes
    2) exempt every region except your capital [edit: this step not actually necessary, and you might not have enough cash to do it, but i didn't want to get rebellions anywhere else]
    3) move army out of capital (home) region
    and wait a couple of turns
    Last edited by Jason X; 03-16-2009 at 19:04.
    "Patriotism is the belief that your country is better than any other because you were born there"

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

If you want a constitutional monarchy raise the taxes for the middle class, if you want a republic raise the taxes for the lower class.
    Tosa Inu

it's a shame you can't go straight to cons. monarchy from absolute - really a shame to chop the maratha queen with her decent traits
    "Patriotism is the belief that your country is better than any other because you were born there"

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jason X View Post
    1) crank up taxes
    2) exempt every region except your capital
    3) move army out of capital (home) region
    and wait a couple of turns
    Looking forward to giving this a try, would be nice if there was another way to change goverments though.
    Last edited by Mailman653; 03-16-2009 at 18:29.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Alphonse View Post
    If you want a constitutional monarchy raise the taxes for the middle class, if you want a republic raise the taxes for the lower class.
    If I have a troublesome lower class will establishing a constitutional monarchy still make them happy?
    I see stupid people....walking around like regular people....they don't even know they're stupid.

searching around this and other forums a bit, it seems that causing an upper class revolt as absolute monarchy has had two effects:
    1) change of monarch, but stay as absolute monarchy
    2) change to constitutional monarchy

some speculation as to whether 2) is dependent on faction or clamour for reform or something unknown.

i might go to my pre-revolution maratha save at the weekend and test it out.

Negative, how's your cabinet?!?! Your cabinet can have as much effect on your populace, if not more, than entertainment buildings and religion. You have to pay careful attention to the traits of the guy heading the Justice Dep't. He can really help out your lower class, or push them over the edge if he's a bully. I had to fire 3 of my cabinet members early on as Prussia because they were causing too much unrest among the lower class; never had problems with the upper/middle class citizens of Prussia.

You also have to be careful about how many enlightenment techs you research, many of them increase "clamor for reform," and these can't be reversed. Further, 1 school per region is too much. 3 schools are more than enough. Focus 1 school per tech. Each school increases clamor for reform by 5 to 7... Also, Dragoons increase repression by 1 per unit. Very nice.
    Last edited by Eusebius86; 03-16-2009 at 19:14. Reason: typos

Yeah, I did check out my cabinet and everyone seemed pretty good but maybe I'll go back and check again.

Also, I did research the enlightement techs pretty fast. I guess my options are let the revolt happen or start over and hold back on the enlightment research.

Insane Imperialist. Member Feanaro's Avatar
    The Greatest Country I've Ever Visited, the USA. The only country I've ever visited but still.

You want the revolution to start in your capital. If it happens anywhere else, it's just a revolt that has to be squashed. Any armies in the capital will join the "old guard," so you might want to move them.

It seems that if you want Constitutional Monarchy, you have to cause the lower classes to revolt, converting to a Republic, then tick the upper class off, which will make you a Constitutional Monarchy. In Absolute Monarchy, making the upper classes angry doesn't seem to change your system of government, it just ousts your current king.

If I have a troublesome lower class will establishing a constitutional monarchy still make them happy?
    It won't make them happy but it does remove the negative happiness modifer from Absolute Monarchy, IIRC. This is all from memory but I believe Absolute Monarchies have higher repression but it causes unrest with the lower classes, plus it hampers research and your economy.
    Due to the ailing economy, this space has been foreclosed.

I'll have to try it out when I get home. Thanks!
    Last edited by Negative; 03-16-2009 at 20:30.

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro View Post
    In Absolute Monarchy, making the upper classes angry doesn't seem to change your system of government, it just ousts your current king.
    I think the same thing happens with a Republic, I tried to start a revolution and when I finally did; I sided with the rebels and took the captial, instead of turning into a new govt type, it just excuted the President and cabinet and just put new ones in place, I stayed a Republic

Lower Class Revolt >> Republic
    Upper Class Revolt >> Absolute Monarchy
    Middle Class Revolt (in a Republic) >> Constitutional Monarchy

Only uprisings in the home province can lead to revolutions.

Susanna/Calapine
    Last edited by Susanna; 03-16-2009 at 23:00.

Not to hijack a thread, but what's the difference gameplay wise between Middle and Upper class? How do you tick one off without the other? I thought there was only upper/lower mechanics...

Quote Originally Posted by Eusebius86 View Post
    Not to hijack a thread, but what's the difference gameplay wise between Middle and Upper class? How do you tick one off without the other? I thought there was only upper/lower mechanics...
    In a republic the 'upper' class is called middle class. It's the same thing from a gameplay point of view.

Susanna/Calapine
    Last edited by Susanna; 03-17-2009 at 01:18.

It would be nice if we could have a reform in a Absolute Monarchy and go right to Constitutional Monarchy. Though i guess most Kings and Queens would not whant to give up power.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Susanna View Post
    In a republic the 'upper' class is called middle class. It's the same thing from a gameplay point of view.

Susanna/Calapine
    Yup. Middle classes take the place of the upper when you've got a republic, probably because no one cares what those powdered wig wearers thinks anymore!

The method described by Jason X, exempting all regions but your capitol from tax and then jacking up the taxes for the revolution type you'd like is very effective. It's how I was able to lead a glorious workers revolution in Russia in 1730.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Of course, it isn't exactly accurate for your king to go batfeces insane and jack up taxes like a madman, then purposefully await his execution. I RP it so that my king (Depending on his management) will either do all that he can to curtail rebellion, or forget about it. ITs fun.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Quote Originally Posted by Susanna View Post
    Lower Class Revolt >> Republic
    Upper Class Revolt >> Absolute Monarchy
    Middle Class Revolt (in a Republic) >> Constitutional Monarchy

Only uprisings in the home province can lead to revolutions.

Susanna/Calapine
    Does this mean that a Constitutional Monarchy can become an Absolute Monarchy(effectively, a rebellion against freedom to become a dictatorship), but once you're a Republic you can never become an Absolute Monarchy again?

If so, does this must mean that if I am playing as Britain, I can cause my Constitutional Monarchy to become an Absolute Monarchy by staging an Upper Class Revolt, which presumably will oust the current King and put in a new one but also destroy the Parliament?

Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Well, you could make a constitutional monarchy, then make an absolute one straight afterwards.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Well, you could make a constitutional monarchy, then make an absolute one straight afterwards.
    As Britain you start out as a Constitutional Monarchy. What I am trying to do is turn Britain from a Constitutional Monarchy into an Absolute Monarchy by taking the Upper Class too much.

Okay, then raise taxes like crazy for the upper class.

If you change into a republic for some reason, you can change back to an absolute monarchy by going const. then doing the above.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Insane Imperialist. Member Feanaro's Avatar
    The Greatest Country I've Ever Visited, the USA. The only country I've ever visited but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerg
    Though i guess most Kings and Queens would not whant to give up power.
    King John didn't want to sign the Magna Carta but he didn't have that much choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperialPower View Post
    As Britain you start out as a Constitutional Monarchy. What I am trying to do is turn Britain from a Constitutional Monarchy into an Absolute Monarchy by taking the Upper Class too much.
    I believe that an upper class revolt(or middle class, same thing different name) in a Constitutional Monarchy would change you to an Absolute Monarchy. I haven't done it myself though. Save and find out!
    Last edited by Feanaro; 03-17-2009 at 03:47.
    Due to the ailing economy, this space has been foreclosed.

Heh, well, I tried it, and just when I conquered London as the British Rebels, the rebelling upper classes - I had a weird flag and my faction colour was dark grey - the game crashed. Perhaps you aren't supposed to do it that way. I don't know why, but it found a problem with the game's .exe file.