Thread: Multiplayer Tactics

Default Multiplayer Tactics

Surprisingly enough, i haven't found any thread on this topic. Basically, i'm thinking of playing Multiplayer in Empire (first time ill have done so in a TW game). In the short term, im versing a friend in MP on the weekend, and I frankly dont want to lose as I have way more experience than him and it would be kinda embarrassing

So basically, if you have effective MP tactics, please post them here. Land, sea, 1v1, 2v2 (1v2 might be a tad tricky), anything. In paricular, I need desperate help in regards to defensive tactics and army composition.

Just a note, I dont care if a tactic is underhanded or otherwise morally impaired-sure i wont use these on standard multiplayer, but my friend is fair game...

Thanks guys!

Default Re: Multiplayer Tactics

Land
    take hill, 10 mortars and patiently wait until your mortars kill enemy mortars and rest of his army
    John Thomas Gross - liar who want put on Poles responsibility for impassivity of American Jews during holocaust

They would all rather whine about mortars then learn any tactics.

Here is a tactic against Mortar batteries.

You need 2 mortars, 6 sharp shooters, 4 cav, 8 guards. If you can hide your guards in the woods that is best. Otherwise keep them in a long thin line and move towards the enemy. Target their troops with your mortars. Send your sharp shooters out on flanks to harass the troops and kill their mortars. Move in for the easy kill since you outnumber him 18-10 with troops.

A rude tactic that is becoming more common is to get all melee cav and infantry troops, immediately hit the deploy button so the other player can't do anything fancy in terms of positioning. Then just send everyone in at the start. Seems to work better then you would expect.

skirmishers!

Link below has fancy way of doing it but basically put your skirmishers out front (I use Ferguson's rifle men England), in a single line formation. Set them to fire at will, skirmish and guard mode and place stakes in front of them if enemy comes to you. Place your Guard units behind these in 3 rank or 2 rank formation set back to ensure skirmishers have room to run bringing enemy into range of volley from guards. Set them to guard and fire at will off unless they are above skirmishers with line of sight. Behind them place 2 cav units, I make my general a dragoon making one of these cav units, If funds are set to medium or low. If you can put experience on guard units they will most likely at some point be out numbered.

As enemy approaches sit back and watch Skirmishers chew up his ranks. Watch your flanks and be ready to put guards on the flank in square formation to defend against cav but often you cav at the rear is enough to at least stop a flank long enough to put guards into action.

http://www.gamereplays.org/empiretot...e-falling-line

The trick to MP battles seems to be faking the enemy. Making him think you have split your forces so he will split his. For instance I might place one unit just inside a tree line to the right of army but have them still visible to enemy. Then move core units to the left. This means I can engage a smaller number of his units as he will be afraid of a flank from hidden units in tree line and keep a part of his force ready for that. If the enemy does this to you you can run cav up to tree line to have a look if you have time but i prefer to keep cav at rear until I know for sure where he is coming from and respond to flanks when he is commited and will suffer losses when changing his mind.

Come on guys give us some tips, we won't use em against ya honestly
    Those who lose dreaming are lost - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Thanks footprint! Nice tips!
    Last edited by Ishmael; 03-22-2009 at 08:41.

Quote Originally Posted by footprint View Post
    skirmishers!
    Come on guys give us some tips, we won't use em against ya honestly
    For early, 10k, no mortars. Take 6-8 line infantry, 3-4 light infantry, the rest cavalry and if you want artillery.

Then play acordingly to what your opponent has.

If hes got more or longer range light infantry you should have stronger line inf and/or cavalry, so overpower him.
    If hes got more line infantry use your light inf to skirmish and make him fight on your terms.

When some1 takes mortars in your NO mortar game always double and kill him ...

( takes 5 mins ) .... the mortar guy is usually the same guy who quits when he has no units left ...

Then check playername from steam so that ya can kick him if he joins again ...

TGI

While were with mortars, can someone (Krook :) ) tell me whats Polish for mortars and whats French. Must be something different since a lot of players that speek only Polish and French don't understand what they are.

Lavos, in polish mortar is moździerz.

Exactly
    Some Poles is generally new and cowardless - new means this word on n... we are not allowed to use here. Clan players try to fight with this behavior (mortar into "no mortar") but it will take some time.
    Some Poles is generally new and have lacks of both english and military knowledge - they mix mortars with howitzers :) I remember polish newbie claimed that his opponent was cheater because he used mortars into "no howitzers" game.

Mortars = moździerze
    no mortars - bez moździerzy / zakaz moździerzy
    mortars and rockets banned - moździerze i rakiety zakazane
    John Thomas Gross - liar who want put on Poles responsibility for impassivity of American Jews during holocaust

Quote Originally Posted by Lavos View Post
    While were with mortars, can someone (Krook :) ) tell me whats Polish for mortars and whats French. Must be something different since a lot of players that speek only Polish and French don't understand what they are.
    mortar in french is mortier so it shouldnt be that difficult to guess wot the no mortar means ..

TGI

Thanks that should do it. I once hosted game, then this French player comes in, brings two mortars, then when I get pissed, he only says sorry and quits, even before I told him its ok if he just uses their normal fire.

anyway guys, any more tips, tricks, tactics and/or something else relevant that begins with 't'?
    Just as a note, when I did play my friend I used 4 mortars and pretty much the rest line infantry, with only 2 horse (1 as general). Early period on Cuba, he quit to do 'homework' after my mortars routed his general on the second volley.
    Btw, can mortars not use plain ammo in some cases/time periods?

As for now SC and Kenchikuka checks artillery (or rather Kenchi shot and we are trying not to be shot :) )
    If we invent good anti art tactic - we will post. As for now we strongly recomend not to wait under fire - better do stupid thing and die int0 90 % of situations than not do and die like a cattle into 100% of situations :)

It is a tale of trysts and a game of graciousness. It is a stronghold of sanity and a marvel of madness. It is a congregation of civility in a bastion of barbarity. It is a derailment of discussion in an arrangement of anarchy. It is an enigma of energy led by a legion of lethargy. It is an influx of idiocy and a gathering of genius. It is a freak of flaws and the paragon of perfection. It is the Internet, and I love it.