Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 39

Thread: Slave Trade

  1. #1
    Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    ゞ( ゚Д゚)ゞ
    Posts
    5,974

    Default Slave Trade

    Is there a slave trade? As far as I can tell there is no slave trade. This makes me sad because I wanted to be a total bastard to the natives. Though I understand why CA would remove that sort of thing.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.



    "Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

  2. #2

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    Too much PC for the game....I know there were people who complained that slaves were in MTW2, which I thought was lame. It was a part of history.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    no, there is no slave trade in the game since CA want to actually sell games.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Belid Hagen View Post
    no, there is no slave trade in the game since CA want to actually sell games.
    Slaves were in RTW and M2TW and you could trade them, those sold pretty well or so I've been told.
    I shouldn't have to live in a world where all the good points are horrible ones.

    Is he hurt? Everybody asks that. Nobody ever says, 'What a mess! I hope the doctor is not emotionally harmed by having to deal with it.'

  5. #5
    Member Member MadKow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    187

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    There are, but they are showing in the records as ivory, to avoid taxes.

  6. #6
    Guest Dayve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,659

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Fondor Yards
    Slaves were in RTW and M2TW and you could trade them, those sold pretty well or so I've been told.
    You were mostly enslaving white people in those games, and political correctness is never an issue regarding the slavery of white people, only blacks.
    Last edited by Dayve; 03-18-2009 at 19:54.

  7. #7
    Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe
    Posts
    3,700

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    Yes, with the over-the-top amounts of ivory generated in AFRICA, you could (eventually) change a few files around and just call them slaves.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

    - Proud Horseman of the Presence

  8. #8
    Guest Dayve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,659

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    Or change some of the nodes to slavery ones, if that will be possible. Taking it out was cowardly in my opinion, even though i'll agree it was a sensible thing for them to do to avoid law suits. It's just a victory for the white guilt crowd, who are usually American blacks, who like to make white people feel guilty about the actions of their European ancestors, which is silly and nonsensical.

  9. #9
    Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    ゞ( ゚Д゚)ゞ
    Posts
    5,974

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    Hopefully we can mod in the slave trade and those slave trading kingdoms. Not sure how they'll do it in future mods that inevitably will expand Africa since 'slave plantations' don't make sense to model the West African Kingdoms enslaving each other. Maybe making slaver camps an option instead.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.



    "Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

  10. #10

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Belid Hagen View Post
    no, there is no slave trade in the game since CA want to actually sell games.
    I don't think having slaves in the game will impact their sales; bugs, however will.
    'Hannibal had been the victor at Cannae, and as if the Romans had good cause to boast that you have only strength enough for one blow, and that like a bee that has left its sting you are now inert and powerless.'

  11. #11
    Member Member ZombieFriedNuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    504

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    I know you can abolish slavery when you get near the bottom of the social research but apparently it only gives you prestige.
    Make Beer Not War

  12. #12
    Village special needs person Member Kobal2fr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    914

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by MadKow View Post
    There are, but they are showing in the records as ivory, to avoid taxes.
    I see what you did there (and joke aside, you may well be onto something, too)
    Anything wrong ? Blame it on me. I'm the French.

  13. #13
    Tuba Son Member Subotan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Land of Heat and Clockwork
    Posts
    4,990
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Fondor_Yards View Post
    Slaves were in RTW and M2TW and you could trade them, those sold pretty well or so I've been told.
    It's a pity. Slavery happened all over the world, yet now people think Slaves = Black People. Patronising or what?

  14. #14
    Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    ゞ( ゚Д゚)ゞ
    Posts
    5,974

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    No one else makes a racket about it that much anymore:-p.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.



    "Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

  15. #15
    the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,585
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    Slavery is in the game, however it is only represented on certain trade screens, it isnt a visible thing anymore. When you abolish it, expect to take a economical drop.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

    Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

  16. #16
    Member Member crpcarrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    368

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    wow
    either you guys are totally ignorant or i dont even have the words

    i suggest you read up on what slavery was like and what the slaves had to suffer. if you cant read watch Roots, Amistad etc

    it may be somehitng that did happen in history that doesnt mean it need to be included in a game. what next ... concentration camps in world war 2 games??????

    this thread should be deleted
    "Forgiveness is between them and god, my job is to arrange the meeting"

  17. #17
    Member Member Darth Venom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cologne, Germany
    Posts
    82

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by crpcarrot View Post
    wow
    either you guys are totally ignorant or i dont even have the words

    i suggest you read up on what slavery was like and what the slaves had to suffer. if you cant read watch Roots, Amistad etc

    it may be somehitng that did happen in history that doesnt mean it need to be included in a game. what next ... concentration camps in world war 2 games??????

    this thread should be deleted
    So exterminating a 100.000 population city with the Mongols with nica sounds to add to the experience is OK to have in a game but slavery isn't?
    The only reason it's not in is PC, and that just isn't right imho.
    Last edited by Darth Venom; 03-19-2009 at 12:33.

  18. #18
    Rip, Slip, Brush, Ahh Member crazyviking03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky USA
    Posts
    271

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    White slavery was also a huge economic issue during this time period in North Africa. Though not on as huge a scale as the West African slave trade, during this time period most piracy carried out by Muslim corsairs was aimed at capturing slaves.

    This issue is something thats will always happen when you make a game (or movie, or any kind of media) about something that is either still part of living memory or a persistant issue in society. Not that I agree, but slavery is not in this game for the same reasons that we dont get ww2 games from the German or Japanese perspective and why we rarely get anything from the Confederate point of view that isnt some washed out story about a dumb poor farm boy. People have far too much time on their hands, and many choose to spend that time gettign offended by things that they did not experience. So those who make games, movies, tv specials etc. live in fear of backlash from the ingnorant and sensational masses (of every shade and color, from every corner of the Western World) who blow a gasket anytime something strays out of the Slavery=black africans only/GermansandJapanese are all Evil/the South is stupid and racist/the british were evil thats why we gloriously rebeled template.
    What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

    lol


  19. #19

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    Just because they could've included it in the game doesn't mean they had to make it all butterflies and roses.

    Civilization IV is a game where slavery is included(and is one of the best labour civics) and it has sold more than 3 million copies. Excluding something as prominent as slavery in a game which tries to be historically accurate is quite silly to me.

    Nothing is stopping them from making it be as horrible as it really was in the game or making revolutions happen because of it(which would be quite a cool feature imho).

    Edit: Also, not to invoke Godwin or anything but had this been about WW2 people would've been calling out CA as holocaust deniers but when it's about slavery it's completely fine to just close your eyes and pretend it never happened.
    Last edited by Alsn; 03-19-2009 at 13:05.

  20. #20
    Member Member fenir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    433

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    wow
    either you guys are totally ignorant or i dont even have the words

    i suggest you read up on what slavery was like and what the slaves had to suffer. if you cant read watch Roots, Amistad etc

    it may be somehitng that did happen in history that doesnt mean it need to be included in a game. what next ... concentration camps in world war 2 games??????

    this thread should be deleted

    WOW,

    A few things, we where not there!

    And we like to play historical.
    And there have been more white slaves than blacks in europe, traded for alot longer too.
    WHite slavery still exists today, in africa and the Middle east. I would hope, we aren't part of that either.

    Slavery is a fact of everyones past. No need to hided like a coward from it imho. And in some instances it was legal protection from debts. A bonded person. Slavery.
    Admittedly, by my own values it is disgusting. But, i temper that with knowledge of different time, different values.

    And slavery is not all bad. Some where good, some where bad. And like today, they all push the bad.
    We have all seen the media and the bleeding wimps, push the worst excess.
    In stead of telling the truth and saying, oh this happened, but mostly was all good. That is not saying it was. I am just pushing a point.

    And i don't bear the shame of it, because i didn't do it. In my time such things are consider bad. (Though i have to admit, having someone do the house chores would be nice.)

    ANd i certainly cannot judge someone from over 100 years ago because i disagreee with them, to tell them, you are wrong. Different time, different place, I was not born.
    So I am not so arogrant, as to apply my vaules to a time when EVERYONE did it.


    Now where do you get off judging yesterdays vaules by your rules today. How Socialist. I guess because we disagree, you will have us all shot?

    Please save the crying for someone that cares. Because we just want to play a game based on history.
    We leave the guilt game and blame of politicians where it belongs. In the toilet.



    i suggest you read up on what slavery was like and what the slaves had to suffer.
    I really dont care. Lots of people suffered. Perhaps in stead of just crying over your colour coded Slavery, you could actually read some history into the laws that protected slaves, in nearly every country. And the penalties if they where violated?
    Including, The Bible, and the Qur'an.
    You can go back to Greece 4000 years ago and their laws, all the way to 19th Century Europe.
    Also, in many cases, free people suffered more than slaves. Perhaps read up on that?

    So please, if you need to be indignate, please show it for all, and not you choosen group.


    Sincerely


    fenir
    Last edited by fenir; 03-19-2009 at 13:10.
    Time is but a basis for measuring Susscess. Fenir Nov 2002.

    Mr R.T.Smith > So you going to Charge in the Brisbane Office with your knights?.....then what?
    fenir > hmmmm .....Kill them, kill them all.......let sega sort them out.

    Well thats it, 6 years at university, 2 degrees and 1 post grad diploma later OMG! I am so Anal!
    I should have been a proctologist! Not an Accountant......hmmmmm maybe some cross over there?

  21. #21
    the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,585
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    None of the mods seem to be on right now, so I'm here.

    This discussion has gone too far for the realm of Parliament. If you wish to continue talking about slavery, please create a thread in the Backroom, where these discussions belong and are argued properly.

    CA have stated they did not wish for slavery to be graphically displayed. It is their choice, but it still in game, just not featured heavily.

    If you do not have access to the Backroom, please request it if you wish to continue discussing this. If you do not know how to, send a Private Message to me and I will organise it.

    Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

    Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

  22. #22
    Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    ゞ( ゚Д゚)ゞ
    Posts
    5,974

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    I started this thread because I didn't like that they tidied that part of history up but I realise its their choice and that one of the realism mods that will eventually come out will include the more grimy parts of the century like disease, slavery, and extermination/deportation of native peoples whether intentional or unintentional. Hopefully in the end you will also be able to play the good guys and forcibly stop the slave trade. Its not game breaking or anything. But at any rate lock it if you wish.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 03-19-2009 at 13:29.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.



    "Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

  23. #23
    Member Member 0rly?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    also i want to be able to press-gang people into my army, neglect to pay them the wages i owe them and allow some of them to die of attrition in a climate they were ill prepared for HELL YEA CRIMEA!!

  24. #24
    Member Member crpcarrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    368

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    @ fenir

    get a grip dude stop assuming you know who i am or what my values are go have a beer or something

    i am not a socialist and as far as i know socialist dont shoot people who disagree with them but i know some capitalists who do.

    i didnt mention any particluar group so i want talking about one group

    everybody knows what slavery was predominant in this time period and that whatever time period you lived in there is no justification for what happened.
    "Forgiveness is between them and god, my job is to arrange the meeting"

  25. #25
    Member Member JeromeBaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by fenir View Post
    WOW,


    WHite slavery still exists today, in africa and the Middle east.
    Hey Fenir, just curious, when you mention that white slavery still exists, what are you refering to? I am making an assumption that you are refering to a sex trade or something like that, as I have heard news reports of women being trafficed internationaly against their will. Other than that I have no clue what you might be refering to. I am not trying to make a joke here, but I can't imagine open slavery going on that isnt getting reported by the news. I picutre a bunch of white people getting sunburned and whipped working the Middle East oil fields, but this obviously isnt happening. If middle eastern people were putting white people into bondage I would assume Fox News would be all over that.

    Thanks

  26. #26
    Guest Dayve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,659

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    I don't think the main argument here should be sidetracked. The argument is that slavery is not something to be ashamed of, it is a part of history from a time long past which should be embraced and learned about like any other.

    The only people who actually get offended by slavery, despite the fact it was abolished over 150 years ago, are poor American blacks who are looking for a free handout of cash by trying to make white people feel guilty about something they have not done, and trying to pretend that black people are the only people to ever be enslaved ever in the history of the entire world, a lot like Jews try to make the world believe they are the only people on earth to ever be treated badly in any way shape or form, and once again they are another group of people looking for nothing more than a free handout.

    The lengths people will go to for free handouts of government money never ceases to amaze me.

  27. #27
    Member Member 0rly?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    They should have made a big deal about slavery, it could have been a british mission to abolish it. Moreover it would have got the game a LOT of headlines in the media, and they do say that "no publicity is bad publicity"

  28. #28

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    Funnily enough the ultimate Enlightment tech is Abolishing Slavery :D (which gives you a +4 to your income? peculiar!) should have just been another resource like any other, however with a negative to your population happiness as you become more 'enlightened' don't have to make a fuss about it, just have it in there.

    Also, all this past guilt nonsense, blimey. Let's get over that as a culture eh. We should NEVER censor history in any form, report it as it happened, take lessons from it and never do these things again. Now we have decided slavery is bad, we unilaterally decree that we shall not do it again, we teach how it happened, and we feel good that we have learnt our lesson and carry forward to the future. Nobody living today is a victim of any 18th century slavery, that is a fact.
    Last edited by Zoring; 03-19-2009 at 14:42.

  29. #29
    is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    3,074

    Default Re : Slave Trade

    This thread delivers.

    White slavery in Africa and Middle East nowadays? Wut? The only enslavement of white people happening currently takes place in Western Europe, not in Africa or Asia.

  30. #30
    pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sogdiana
    Posts
    1,720

    Default Re: Slave Trade

    This thread is why CA didn't put slavery in ETW...

    Given that this sort of thing is used as an argument for it's inclusion, is it any wonder it isn't in??

    "The only people who actually get offended by slavery, despite the fact it was abolished over 150 years ago, are poor American blacks who are looking for a free handout of cash by trying to make white people feel guilty about something they have not done, and trying to pretend that black people are the only people to ever be enslaved ever in the history of the entire world, a lot like Jews try to make the world believe they are the only people on earth to ever be treated badly in any way shape or form, and once again they are another group of people looking for nothing more than a free handout.

    The lengths people will go to for free handouts of government money never ceases to amaze me."

    reprehensible ignorance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO