Thread: Territory/Region Economy

Default Territory/Region Economy

So far I have been building each terratory/region with one school, church, craftshop, Admin, and port (when applicable) each. Then I load up on farms, mines, and craftshops with everything else when availble. So far its worked fairly well. My question is do I need to have one each in every territory or should I load up heavy on one thing or two? I figure balance is best but not sure thats giving me the most bang for the buck. I'm wondering if I need so many colleges as well. I'm thinking yes, because they spawn gentlemen which helps speed up tech upgrades. Anyone have any better advice as far as what to build and how often/many generally speaking?

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Default Re: Territory/Region Economy

Well, having variety will keep public order up, since industry and schools will pull it down, and church schools and leisure keeps it up.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

What you build is dependent on what you need in the province.

church/religious buildings:
    Not necessary in province where the population is already your religion (unless you want extra priests). You will be better off building an inn, as it also provides happiness for the nobility as well.

School:
    Whilst it is nice to have lots of school so you can research lots of things simultaneously, it does not mean you need one in each province. They bring down happiness which usually means a inn/church is required to cancel its effect, reducing room for workshops, which bring in money.
    Depending on how well your empire grows, I found that most of my schools come from captured regions. After 5 or 6 schools, I start even demolishing them in newly captured regions, unless it’s a modern university (which you can only build in your capital).

Inn:
    I only build these when i require the happiness boast. For cities that need heavy garrisoning, it is much cheaper to build one of these then pay massive upkeep on the troops stationed there.

Workshop:
    They are a great source of income. I try to build as many as i can without sacrificing research whilst maintaining happiness.

Port:
    Fishing ports are a great way to increase population growth. (Just remember to replace them with ports once maximum number of towns in the region is reached)
    Trade ports are always useful, however it maybe necessary to built a shipyard to build your navy.

Admin slot:
    I usually build the non-military ones in continental Europe, as there are plenty of region that can build barracks. This is often not true in the Americas, in which cases, building military ones are justified. I am not sure about the case in India. The admin version provides more income and greater repression.

Conquering all of South America, there's 2-3 that can build the barracks line so you don't need more than 1-2 of the military town hall, if you even need any.

I have 8 schools in my game currently, the last 2 newly captured. They're all in different provinces. I wouldn't recommend more than 1 in any region. The Americas have very poor towns so they're a good spot, especially on the ones that have enough slots to build the pleasure palace line as well. Build the crafts in Europe instead. Another thing you might want to do is build schools in economically bad regions so you won't lose much from exempting it from taxes altogether.

I tend to build a second School in my capital region, but that is the only school i actively build. Rest gets conquered, as Europe and India have plenty schools already in place.

If i`d focus on america region mainly, i maybe would build some more, but sofar i never done that in my games.

Quote Originally Posted by nafia View Post
    What you build is dependent on what you need in the province.

church/religious buildings:
    Not necessary in province where the population is already your religion (unless you want extra priests). You will be better off building an inn, as it also provides happiness for the nobility as well.
    The church card may say that the 3rd level building provides +4 happiness to low-class, and none to nobility. BUT, if you look at a province where a 3rd level church has been built, you will get +3 happiness to BOTH nobility & low class for "religious happiness". And you don't even have to have 100% conversion to your religion for it to get there either.
    Ancestry: Turkish & Irish. Guess my favorite factions!

Sorry for the OT, but how do you set multiple schools to research the same tech? I couldn't figure it out...

And back on topic - I usually build churches in several of the newly conquered regions, to quickly change population religion. After going over 60% in my religion, i demolish and go for inns or production, depending on what's obvious for that region (low happiness or economics opportunities).
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Tzepes View Post
    Sorry for the OT, but how do you set multiple schools to research the same tech? I couldn't figure it out...
    Because you can't... One tech per school...
    Last edited by anweRU; 03-19-2009 at 13:50.
    Ancestry: Turkish & Irish. Guess my favorite factions!

Post Re: Territory/Region Economy

It's easier to show than to explain (see attached image). Bring up the Research & Technology panel. Across the top, it will show the Colleges & Universities you control. Clicking on one will select it, then pick the tech you want it to research.

And back on topic - I usually build churches in several of the newly conquered regions, to quickly change population religion. After going over 60% in my religion, i demolish and go for inns or production, depending on what's obvious for that region (low happiness or economics opportunities).
    This is a good approach. If I haven't conquered a region with a school already in it, I'll build one in a populous region, until I have 4-5 overall. In a "quality over quantity" game, I like as much tech as possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	multi-tech.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	58  
    Forums are good for sharing questions, wikis are good for sharing answers:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Check out the Online ETW Data in the Totalwar.org wiki.