Thread: Protectorates, new stuff

Exclamation Protectorates, new stuff

This "protectorate" feature has had it's share of criticism since it first showed up in a TW title. Now this is what I've noticed in ETW - and some parts kinda bug me off:

1. It's so easy to become a minor's faction protector. Just throw in some cash and you're done.
    2. Now it looks like you have to be at peace with that faction to offer protectorate; couldn't find the "become protectorate" option with factions I was at war with. Different from MTW2.
    3. Protectorates territories don't seem to count anymore in your province number count. As GB, I have Malta as an objective. Made the Knights there my protectorate, but the province isn't checked in my objective list (this is different from MTW2). Guess I'll have to destroy the poor Knights. Not nice.
    4. I dunno if this is a bug or intended to be so, but military access to a protectorate does not include sea lanes. For instance, Morrocco has some ships parked at Gibraltar Straits. As GB, I own Gibraltar, Morrocco is my protectorate but I cannot move my fleets in the Mediterranean. Gonna have to stab those guys in the back, I hate it.
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

Default Re: Protectorates, new stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Tzepes View Post
    2. Now it looks like you have to be at peace with that faction to offer protectorate; couldn't find the "become protectorate" option with factions I was at war with. Different from MTW2.
    no u just have to offer them peace, i did this with mughal, i demanded they become my protectorate if they wanted a peace deal, they accepted, then i killed them cos it didnt count to my province count and was giving me like 100g a turn so not worth it.
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

3. This is really annoying since victory is evaluated at dates now anyways, not when you fullfill the objective. Its just ends up rather annoying...

4. Fleets should be able to pass each other unless the player being passed elects to intercept.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    4. Fleets should be able to pass each other unless the player being passed elects to intercept.
    This is a really annoying bug and seems to have something to to with straits & landbridges. Even if MY OWN ship is parked on the landbridge near Gibraltar, I can't move other ships in or out the Mediterrainean. If Morocco is still existing this lead to the need of having to seperate fleets...

Also I can't move agents and armies across the bosporus from either direction playing as the Ottomans. You first have to give them the order to move into Constantinople and then out again. Really annoying...

I wish Protectorates counted toward Victory Conditions. As it is now, I am forced to annex much more than I wish or feel is a reasonable goal. One more thing for the modders to tackle.
    "The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

whats the advantages of a protectorate anyway?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

They pay you a monetary tribute each turn (I think someone said 50% of their income), otherwise it acts like an alliance (possibly they have to back you in wars rather than it being optional, not sure about this).

Alliance, military access and a part of their money. Exactly how much money it's one of the longest and most unbreakable mysteries of Total War.

Results may vary, anyway.
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

I hate Morocco, too. I conquered Madrid and need to have a separate navy for the Med.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

The AI Minor Power Protectorates can actually get some fairly scary armies because of cash bonuses and the never ending AI army production.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Devout worshipper of Bilious Member miotas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PBI View Post
    (possibly they have to back you in wars rather than it being optional, not sure about this).
    you have to back them in wars, as they are paying you for protection

- Four Horsemen of the Presence

The longest lasting leper ever Member rossahh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Tzepes
    Alliance, military access and a part of their money. Exactly how much money it's one of the longest and most unbreakable mysteries of Total War.

Results may vary, anyway.

Actually, the advisor tells you that it's half their income.
    "Okay, here come the cavalry, get your swords out lads!" - the Captain details his orders to the pikemen

Anybody know why protectorates dont count towards your victory conditions? I noticed that they do count towards the total domination of a theatre achievement.... but kinda pointless otherwise... and I feel so dirty slaughtering my protectorates to win the campaign!

On the Straight of Gibraltar, there are 2 sea boxes that have no adjacent boxes to the north or south. Since you can't have 2 fleets from different nations in the same box, the only way to pass through the Straight is if you hold both of those boxes. It looks like this...

..SPAIN
    X........X
    XX....XX
    XXABXX
    XX....XX
    X........X
    MOROCCO

You have to hold A and B to pass. To pass through, merge your fleet with the ship you have in box A, then select those ships again (leave out the ship used to hold box A), and merge them with the ship in box B. Then select your fleet again (and again leave the ship holding box B alone), and move your fleet into the Med. This does mean that fleets can't exceed 13 ships to do this, since you can only have 14 ships max in a fleet and you need to leave one slot open to merge with the gatekeeprs holding A and B.
    Fac et Spera

Protectorates do not show up as actual territorys in M2TW do they?? I wasent aware of that.
    ''I Have just Signed my own Death warrent-Michael Collins, upon signing the Anglo Irish Treaty''