Thread: Never played RTW

Default Never played RTW

I've played all the games in the TW series apart from Rome. Would it be worth going 2 games back and buying it? I hear its the best game in the series so far.
    Thanks, adal8or.

Default Re: Never played RTW

It is more than worth going two games back in the series to buy it! (especially since it is dirt cheap these days...)
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

ATW Version 2.5 is now out!

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

I'd suggest giving it a try if for nothing else than all of the outstanding mods.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

I am almost definitely going back to this. Rome Anthology(Original game + expansion packs) new from amazon £12. I did have Rome before but the files on the disc were corrupt and therefore it wouldn't work.
    Thanks, adal8or.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adal8or View Post
    I've played all the games in the TW series apart from Rome. Would it be worth going 2 games back and buying it? I hear its the best game in the series so far.
    Thanks, adal8or.
    [OmanesMode]It depends on the player opinion. Some will say that Rome is the great game of Total War series, but other gamers will disagree and say that Rome: Total War dissapointed them, as they like Medieval or Shogun. Of course, mods tend to improve the whole playing experience, that is why like Zim said: try mods.
    [/OmanesMode]

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

TW Center would be a fine stop if you are looking for mods, get ready to choose from an extensive list!

It really depends. If you like the arcady/vanilla feel of the other games then you will love Rome: Total War, and if you have played Medieval 2: Total War, then you will easily be able to play Rome. But if you prefer historical accuracy buy it and download the fantastic mods avaliable, I believe there is even a beta of a Warhammer mod somewhere.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you are looking for some good mods then I suggest Europa Barbarorum, Rome Total Realism and Invasio Barbarorum: Flagellum Dei(for BI).
    From all of these I love the most EB.

Will the Steam version of Rome work with most mods?
    Thanks, adal8or.

Been there, conquered that.... Member Darkvicer98's Avatar

I would recommend getting the actual game from a shop and not off Steam if you want to play mods.
    Last edited by Darkvicer98; 03-23-2009 at 22:48.

Cry HAVOC and let slip the dogs of War!

A brave man may fall,but he cannot yield-Latin Proverb

Arms keep peace-Latin Proverb

I am not hugely knowledgeable about steam but if with this steam you need to have RTW on your own computer installed then mods should work fine, if not then i suggest that you pick up a very cheap copy of it from most stores.

Personally my order of preference so far has been MTW > RTW > ETW > MTW2 so I can heartily recommend Rome. After Medieval it's the one I've spent by far the most amount of time playing. I'm still tidying away another Julii campaign even with the lovely ETW sitting pretty on my drive.

You can pick it up dirt cheap along with the two expansions (never did get my hands on Alexander but Barbarians is great.)