Thread: Scholars: How do you use them?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Scholars: How do you use them?

I've just got the game and discovered that I now have scholars. But what exactly to they do and how do I get them to do it. The game guide seems remarkable silent on the subject.
    Last edited by Didz; 03-19-2009 at 17:52.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Default Re: Scholars: How do you use them?

The same as the Gentlemen i think but they can't dule.

If you place them in your schools they speed up research. They're created randomly from schools or other educational buildings.

You can send them to other factions' schools to spy on what tech they have and to steal. They can also duel other factions scholars.
    My view is that it is deserable to be both loved and feared; but it is difficult to achieve both and, if one of them has to be lacking, it is much safer to be feared than loved. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    I've just got the game and discovered that I now have scholars. But what exactly to they do and how do I get them to do it. The game guide seems remarkable silent on the subject.
    You move them into schools where they contribute to your research rate(hit 'T' in-game to get to the technology page). The more stars they have the more points they generate per turn(unfortunately I haven't found a way to see how many points a particular tech requires but the earlier ones are like 40 points or so). In general it's quicker to build more schools than try to spawn more gentlemen(especially since schools themselves spawn gentlemen) but just watch out since you take a pretty severe happiness penalty if you have too many schools.

Quote Originally Posted by IlDuce View Post
    They can also duel other factions scholars.
    Do note that like Zerg says Scholars cannot duel like gentlemen. The eastern factions(muslim and hindu) get scholars while the western factions get gentlemen.
    Last edited by Alsn; 03-19-2009 at 18:02.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I dunno about that whenever I decide to make an education camp, I build equal parts schools and taverns and transform the province to a weekend binge drinking college town.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

I think CA has modeled the modern college campus pretty effectively. You need the tavern line to counter the effects of the college line. I guess that gave rise to binge drinking in college campuses.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

In that line…Has anyone had trouble building the Modern University building?

I teched up to it but it never became available to build. I never even saw it as not buildable for “X” Reason.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar

Someone said here that the MU was only buildable in your capital province. That makes me wish I had not dismantled the two I captured in India from the Maratha and Mughals, but it would still have been a royal PITA to ship all the gentlemen down there.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.