Thread: v 1.2: what's up with the phalanxes that cannot do a phalanx formation?

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Default v 1.2: what's up with the phalanxes that cannot do a phalanx formation?

I am just wondering what's up with all the 'phalanx' units (according to the unit name) that cannot do the phalanx formation?

Proud Product of Slave Labor Member ezekiel2517's Avatar

Default Re: v 1.2: what's up with the phalanxes that cannot do a phalanx formation?

i guess it is those hoplite like units that attack with their spears from the middle of their bodies instead of above... i wonder the same too, more or less.

"Kaneda! What do you see?"

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

Default Re: v 1.2: what's up with the phalanxes that cannot do a phalanx formation?

IIRC the phalanx mode was removed for certain 'Phalanxes' due to historical accuracy.
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

those unit's dont' have the phalanx formation per se, but fight in a close formation that looks like a phalanx... The liby-phoenican spearman for example... try them and when the battle begins they will be in a phalanx formation without actually being a phalanx
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Because RTW's phalanx formation depicts the Makedonian phalanx rather than other variants, it has been decided that this formation doesn't fit the more flexible non-sarissa "phalanx" units. The units affected are the Speudogordoz, Iphikratous Hoplitai, Indohellenikoi Hoplitai, Thorakitai Hoplitai, Appea Gaedotos, and Mori Gaesum. This of course leaves these units somewhat weakened (there has been a lot of discussion about the problem here) but IMO there is no better solution to this dilemma with RTW.
    Last edited by athanaric; 03-19-2009 at 18:27.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

I use the phalanx mod that, in my opinion, greatly improves the units you're talking about by making them much more like a tightly packed phalanx without making them too much like the Macedonian version. Find it here.
    "Insipientis est dicere, Non putarvm."

"It is the part of a fool to say, I should not have thought."
    -Pvblivs Cornelivs Scipio Africanvs

Lives: Pvblivs Cornelivs Scipio (A Romani AAR)
    Lives: Alkyoneus Argeades (A Makedonian AAR)