Thread: Help me figure out sieges

Default Help me figure out sieges

It seems like there's no point in besieging an enemy city vs. assaulting immediately. Here's why: inevitably as I'm besieging an enemy city, the enemy, strengthened by a large number of mob units, will assault my army to try to lift the siege. Unfortunately, even though I typically destroy the force sallying out, my army still lifts the siege. So when I siege again, the city still has two turns to hold out. Worse, the mobs have been replenished!

Given the above, I typically assault right away, even if I'd rather besiege for a couple turns. Am I missing something? Or is the breaking siege mechanic broken?

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Default Re: Help me figure out sieges

I think it is a bug, it makes no sense to wait X turns, fight the enemy and then have them spawn at full strength over again.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Those mobmen are rather useless. You can take them, easy.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Some people think it's a bug, some think it's a feature, and some think a bug is a feature.

Personally, i think it's horrible broken. I don't care about the mobmen, because they are less than useless. I've had times where my cities have spawned mobmen, and i have made use of them, but even at their most useful they are utterly useless.

I don't mind fighting stack after stack of these when besieging a city, because they drop like flies, but what really gets my goat is when the siege is lifted even though you win the battle.

I have never had the siege lift after defeating a sallying force.

Oh and btw, one of my favorite ETW moments was annihilating the Parisian mob with my redcoats.

Actually those mobs are very nice to get your army experienced. Once you have bayonets and fire by rank you literally mow those mobs over with a simple line of infantry. And since - I think - experience is gained by the amount of kills your units inflicts, mobs are the easiest, by far!

Also when the enemy sallies forth you're the defender so take on the most favourable defensive positions and bring enough artillery, you should easily be able to defeat say 1000 mob infantry with a mixed force of 1000 strong and only suffer minimal losses, but many units will gain a chevron of experience!

And tertio, the game is called Total War for a reason.

Kulgan

Yea, i purposely not conquer cities so that i can kill endless mobs to xp up my troops, once you kill all the quality enemies, you wont take any losses obliterating the mobs.

The beseiged forces take attrition damage per turn. It seems that the damage gets more severe as the seige goes on. Also, when the enemy sallies during the last turn of the seige, I captured the city after I win.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

If you wait til they surrender, you get the city but that army retreats into the wilderness. So at some point, assault it.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Kulgan View Post
    Actually those mobs are very nice to get your army experienced. Once you have bayonets and fire by rank you literally mow those mobs over with a simple line of infantry. And since - I think - experience is gained by the amount of kills your units inflicts, mobs are the easiest, by far!

Also when the enemy sallies forth you're the defender so take on the most favourable defensive positions and bring enough artillery, you should easily be able to defeat say 1000 mob infantry with a mixed force of 1000 strong and only suffer minimal losses, but many units will gain a chevron of experience!

And tertio, the game is called Total War for a reason.

Kulgan
    Fighting against the Mughals, I besieged a city with a brigade of 3 infantry regiments, 1 dragoon regiment, and one 12lb battery; they sallied against me with nearly a full stack of Mob and Militia . . . talk about the Thin Red Line! I held, but just, and that on Normal.

Fun battle, though. :)
    "I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." Senator John Kerry, May 4, 2003

"It's the wrong war, in the wrong place at the wrong time." Senator John Kerry, 7 September, 2004

I guess just dont besiege a city when you have fewer units then the garrison. You can usually tell how many mobs will spawn by the number of grey dots shown on the line above the city.