Thread: guide needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default guide needed

This is one title that is begging for a good guide. The little booklet that comes with the game is not complete and you end up being intuitive on its features or get the answers here. Not that they were good guides, but I hear that Bradygames isn't going to write one.
    I guess I will just watch these forums patiently and find the gold nuggets that fall out. There already has been an early post of unit statistics. I tried to copy and paste that one and didn't have much luck.

Terry

Default Re: guide needed

It is unfortunate . . . With previous titles, the manuals, while small, still covered pretty much everything you needed to know. With the ETW, the manual is more like a console game manual, and leaves alot unsaid . . . and Bradygames has cancelled the strategy guide (and while the Rome guide was sort of pathetic, the MTW, RTWBI, M2TW guides were all useful).
    Last edited by NimitsTexan; 03-21-2009 at 21:07.
    "I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." Senator John Kerry, May 4, 2003

"It's the wrong war, in the wrong place at the wrong time." Senator John Kerry, 7 September, 2004

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Check out Spraetter's guide over on the .com.

It is pretty extensive in the knowledge base it works from and has a lot of extra tips that even veteran TW players can learn from.
    Last edited by Monk; 03-21-2009 at 21:15.

Rip, Slip, Brush, Ahh Member crazyviking03's Avatar

I actually really like exploring the game and stumbling across new things each time, slowly but surely figuring out the game. Im a bit odd though,
    What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

lol

Thumbs up Re: guide needed

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    This is one title that is begging for a good guide. The little booklet that comes with the game is not complete and you end up being intuitive on its features or get the answers here. Not that they were good guides, but I hear that Bradygames isn't going to write one.
    I guess I will just watch these forums patiently and find the gold nuggets that fall out. There already has been an early post of unit statistics. I tried to copy and paste that one and didn't have much luck.

Terry
    This site is (becoming) the guide! Not only does it describe the features, but also it exposes the bugs. It has (will have) links to detailed strategy guides for each faction.

Best of all, you can contribute to it! Gotta love the 21st Century.
    Forums are good for sharing questions, wikis are good for sharing answers:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Check out the Online ETW Data in the Totalwar.org wiki.

I am the kind of person who prints out all of this stuff, 3 hole punch and puts it all in a 3 ring binder. I then make a cover sheet and spine label. For the cover sheet I usually google images for the game and print out the one I like. Looking at my bookshelf, I can see fat folders on all of the tw titles. What I like about this is that it is all so portable, unlike a readme file, which I was sure was on the etw disk somewhere (which it wasn't). More games are going to readme or pdf format. I fondly remember the days when you got a nice hefty mansized manual in the box. I would sigh contentedly and settle down to a good read.

Terry

Terry, I agree. I am the same type of person who reads instructions before doing things, rather than finding out the hard way. I have learnt alot of this game just by playing, but a better manuel or guide would have been nice, and saved me alot of trouble.

I've put my knowledge from playing the other games to good use on this one, but there is a lot here that is different, once you get away from the basics. I can't imagine this being the first Total War game that someone picks up..

Terry

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I fondly remember the days when you got a nice hefty mansized manual in the box. I would sigh contentedly and settle down to a good read.

Terry
    I have no choice but to agree. I needed some reading last night so I searched my bookshelf to find something I didn't remember.

Age of Empires 2: Age of Kings manual.

Detailed how-to on every command, game mode, unit (plus stats/good uses/backstories), tech, building and just about anything you could think of in the game.

Too bad that was about 10 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

I'm from the old school of getting my game in a real box with a real manual (my Shogun was in a real box ) I loved those days and my gaming shelf looked much more impressive in those days.

I really miss the large instruction manuals, you know the ones with background stories and brief descriptions of each faction involved in the game, as well as details of some of the units available. It all went sour for me when you get a large manual and only about 4 pages are in your language its such a let down.

Bring back decent manuals I say!
    May the Foss be with you....